cannondale aero road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tranzformer

by tranzformer

kgt wrote:@stormur
Ok, forget the 'tests'. What about this forum's members? Most of the guys who own a supersix (and have ridden many other top bikes in the past) have only positive things to say. Superlight, stiff, comfortable, responsive, lively, great handling etc. etc.
I can accept that there are some aspects to be evolve (bb etc.) but I cannot accept that it is a frame that in terms of absolute performance is dated or retarded.

As some have said in this thread and as I have said myself, the Cannondale Evo isn't even the best road frame that Cannondale has produced. That honor would go to the SystemSix. So in that regard, other than being lighter, the Evo hasn't improved Cannonade's road lineup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, but someone else upthread also said that the Six13 was better than the Evo. Which just goes to show that some people are plain wierd :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

stormur wrote: Last example : ....Cannondale ( 7.45kg, when component weights says is closer to 9kg tah to 7 ) - AND SOME "USEFUL IDIOTS" EVEN DEFEND THIS LIAR ! " Aweosme :mrgreen: "

What on earth are you talking about?

In racing world of technology, 5y old frame IS OUTDATED, regardless your agreement for that

Yeah, but Cannondale don't have a 5 year old racing frame, they've got a 1 year old racing frame.

Same BB30A : all "tests" showed that Synapse is softest ( power transfer ) from all GF framesets on the market...

Brilliant. A) what tests are you talking about? And B) you should have an argument with Skylark who says the Synapse is really stiff, more so than the Evo.

kgt

by kgt

stormur is a liar because he can and it makes him feel better but he will never admit : " I made mistake, what a crap, etc"
:)

wingguy

by wingguy

:lol:

euan

by euan

The Slate is a trail blazer in the 650b road future. We shall see more road bikes with that wheel size and tubeless too

Kristof047

by Kristof047

stormur wrote:Last example : ....Cannondale ( 7.45kg, when component weights says is closer to 9kg tah to 7 ) - AND SOME "USEFUL IDIOTS" EVEN DEFEND THIS LIAR ! " Aweosme

I don't mind people having another opinion, but when you want to call me a liar, make your homework and show your component list, you found on the internet. You can look up some weights in my thread to start.

My scale gave 7.45, confirmed by other scales now. And most importantly having fun riding it :-)

Skylark

by Skylark

Krackor wrote:Do you have any data on how much power is saved by a bike tracking the ground well? I have a feeling it's not even close to the same magnitude of efficiency improvement as aerodynamic effects. Bumps in the road would be my last guess for factors that influence speed on the flats.

A test can certainly be devised. We can look into it.

One thing which ought to have been learnt is that we shouldn't second guess any experiment until we have the data. One way or the other the aero factor plays a role. Of-course we have an hypothesis as to which is exclusively better but an optimized solution is probably a meld of the two somewhere in between.

I shall post some info when I've had a chance to think about the test a bit more.

Sacke

by Sacke

Well, there will be new Cannondales released in May and/or June, so the wait is almost over. It could be an anticlimax since the SS Evo disc is almost a given, and might remain the only "new" road bike.

Time will tell...

Krackor

by Krackor

Skylark wrote:One thing which ought to have been learnt is that we shouldn't second guess any experiment until we have the data.

We do have some data though.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews

This doesn't directly measure the power savings of good frame suspension, but it gives us an idea of the magnitude of suspension-related losses involved. If bump absorption were a large factor, one would expect that lowering tire pressure will reduce rolling resistance, since that improves compliance over bumps. Of course you're competing against the internal losses in the tire as the pressure drops, so lowering pressure too far will become worse at some point. This is why people don't run 50 psi in their road tires, nor do they run 200 psi.

What we do know is that lowering tire pressure from 120 psi to 100 psi does not improve rolling resistance in any of the tested cases above. The best example is the GP4000SII w/ latex tube, that only loses 0.5W going from 120 to 100 psi. If there's any gain to be had from improving the bike's ability to track the ground I would expect it's not above the magnitude of 1-2 W, otherwise I would expect to see some of these tires losing rolling resistance as they lost pressure.

You're right that a real test is the more definitive way to tell whether frame compliance improves straight line speed on an average road, but smell test tells me that it won't amount to the magnitude of aerodynamic gains of a properly designed aero road frame (10-20W).

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Skylark wrote:Furthermore they seem to pay little attention to real world testing and indeed prior experience of their own products. Most times I've observed that they seem to have a dedicated team or individual who reads the half-baked comments, theory and ideas in this forum and push the notions presented straight into their products.

Only they used CFD and Kamm tail design to re-shape every tube on the new Evo. So...

Skylark wrote:In addition, they haven't improved the overall geometry either until now.

Why fix something that ain't broke? The Cannondale geo is recognised as one of the most balanced going.

And their Pro team was totally shit last year, but have started super well in 2016. So that's 3 strikes - on top of what others have pointed out to you 'Liggero' (or whatever your original multi actually was).

I met David Devine last year and asked if an aero bike was coming for 2016, said "no". And not because it doesn't interest them, but no for now at least. Could be a red herring, wouldn't be the first time a company has used it. I'll see what else other mates might know.

As for the Slice, the road version is still fast enough and their new Tri one isn't bad. And that's where they want to pick up sales.

KWalker

by KWalker

Haven't ridden the newest Evo. Don't consider it much of a change from the last one and was super disappointed in it. Had a lot of Evo hi-mods. The Allez Sprint IMO is a better bike. Most bikes I've ridden since I would consider "better" in some measurable regard- stiffness, handling, or ride quality. I cannot see why someone would want one unless they're being given a big discount.

I agree that Cannondale used to innovate. Now they head for conservative updates.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Tinea Pedis wrote:I met David Devine last year and asked if an aero bike was coming for 2016, said "no". And not because it doesn't interest them, but no for now at least. Could be a red herring, wouldn't be the first time a company has used it. I'll see what else other mates might know.

Of course David Devine would say no. What else would he say? Not going to reveal their product development plans and timeline to you. You shouldn't have expected any other comment.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Given I was there on a freelance role for a mag I really don't give a shit what you think he should or should not have replied to me with. I'd have been a bigger fool for not asking, given he's not in Australia often and in front of me for questions even less.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Notwithstanding that I've gotten more info from just as innocent a question dozens of times before. But hey, you've got all your bases covered with primary school insults (that don't even make sense) from an anonymous account. You cut me deep man.

Moving on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com