cannondale aero road bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Skylark wrote:If we just go back a few years and reconcile the Super Six (pre-Evo). It was a rip-off of the Tarmac SL3.

The Supersix was released a season before the Tarmac SL3. Did they rip it off with the aid of their time machine?

Are you able to guess how many times the Synapse has changed? Too many times.

Why is updating a bike design a bad thing? Do you want every company to still be only making the bikes they had available in 2010?

How many times has a Giant Defy changed? A TCR? A Trek Madone? A Cervelo Soloist/S3/S5? R3/R5? A Specialized Roubaix? Which of them aren't guilty of what you're saying is a problem for C'dale?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

From memory, the Synapse has had 3 variants. The original Carbon-only offering, the second version that included aluminium versions, and the current version.

For me, their biggest misstep is not having an equivalent to the Six13/System6 in the current lineup. Best frames they ever made. Much as I love my CAAD10 and SS Himod, they'll never have the magic of a Himod six13.

Skylark

by Skylark

Tw*t, SS Mark III was released late 09/10. Same time as Tarmac SL3 (2009).

Let's be respectful.

Juan

wingguy

by wingguy

Skylark wrote:Tw*t, SS Mark III was released late 09/10. Same time as Tarmac SL3 (2009).

Sooo, you're still saying that they copied a bike that was releasd at the same time as theirs?

You think they had a spy in Specialized's design office?

53x12

by 53x12

wingguy wrote:And yet they win major media 'best bike' awards year after year after year...

The Evo is a very good bike for what it is. But that still doesn't deal with the issue that Cannondale has a large gap in their road bike lineup, one in which they have been lagging other competitors; i.e. aero road frame. Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, Canyon...etc. all have had an aero road frame for some time. This isn't a thread about Cannondale not winning bike awards for the Evo. However, it is going to take Cannondale some time to claw their way up in that market to get market share. Enter Damon Rinard.

I am not coming to this discussion as some Cannondale hater, rather I have owned many Cannonade's over the years; R5000, SystemSix Hi-Mod, Six13, SuperSix Hi-Mod, Evo Hi-Mod, CAAD 9 and a CAAD 10. The SystemSix Hi-Mod and CAAD 10 are the only Cannondale frames that I still own, with the SystemSix Hi-Mod being my favorite Cannondale frame of all time and in my opinion their best road frame that they have ever made. Yes, even better than the Evo and part of the reason I no longer own the Evo.

Again, with the Evo, Synapse and CAAD12, Cannondale has a big gap in their road bike lineup that is missing and that needs to get filled if they want to keep competing with the Trek/Felt/Cervelo/Specialized/Canyon's of this world in regards to aero road frames. That is a market that Cannondale has zero offerings in, however those other companies have an Evo and a Synapse competitor.

wingguy wrote:And the Slice isn't outdated (for one thing it's brand new), they've just used a different set of design priorities to everyone else. There's nothing else out there like it.

Yes, the current Slice is outdated even before arrival. Especially when you consider what the current super bikes (generation 4) are offering in terms of design and features. But that is a discussion for another day as this thread is about a potential Cannondale aero road frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Saw this posted on social media. Bike on the right side "S WIND." I wish there was a better picture.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

nemeseri

by nemeseri

!!!!!

Do you have a link to the original post? Earlier this week I contacted their support about the release date for the 2017 line because they had suggested before that they would know a date by early March / April. They used to answer instantly, but they are now silent. Based on this and the photo you posted I guess the actual announcement might be closer than I thought (fingers crossed).

deek

by deek

God that's such a terrible name that I would have guessed it was some Taiwanese knockoff. Definitely looks like it says "CAAD12 105 S Wind" though.

kgt

by kgt

Skylark wrote:
kgt wrote:To make myself clear: considering Cannondale's design identity is very strong and practically unaltered during the last decades (I am talking about its top road frame here)

Your statement is incorrect. Sorry.

I don't think so...

A 1990s caad 3:

A 2016 ss:

Practically the same design.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

And based on the number of Cannondales I see on the road, they are clearly doing something right. I'd be the first to get excited by an aero Dale... But I do think the business case and demand is overstated for such bikes. Can't blame the slowness to market when they have such good products already.

Ofc.. An aero machine is an insurance policy for the future :)

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

reedplayer

by reedplayer

kgt wrote:.......

Practically the same design.

complete agreement (very similar to "stevens-bikes" in germany) and that is, what i like about them. i think, it is much more valuable, to make one good and effective design (and geometry) work for years, than following every passing fashion and changing design permanently.

stormur

by stormur

Cannondale can't manage to design internal routing for SuperX/ Supersix for years, couldn't manage to design not chattering canti fork (ever) and you want them to design super aero frame ? ;)

brand has strong lobby here, but face the truth - last few years they changed... colors. Other brands released new bikes in basically every category, Cannondale made "new" superX with disc brake ( only way to solve chattering fork :mrgreen: ) and overpriced ( same € as CF frames from reputable brands ) Caad12, to not mention re designed ( and soft like hell ) Synapse . Not so much for 5 years of "engineering"... .

Oops - I forgot their HUGE step in making life more complicated : BB30 "A" ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Some of us who work on our bikes regularly and value low weight and skinny tubes like external routing. Don't assume internal= progress.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

So we've got one guy who's adamant that Cannondale are shit because they redesign their frames far too often, and one guy who's adamant that Cannondale are shit because they hardly ever redesign their frames.

Just goes to show how important facts are when it comes to brand opinions... :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

lol
true... :)
BTW I like Cannondale's 'evolutive' design approach.