Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: FELT FR FRD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:31 pm 

684 grams for frame and 284 grams for fork..quite interesting..

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/02/201 ... rst-rides/

Post subject: Re: FELT FR FRD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:56 pm 

Woah, that's a very competitive verified weight, right in the AX territory :shock:

The only problem - under-the-BB brakes :?

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:56 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:28 pm 

The price tag is a bigger issue imo.

Fuji SL 1.1 http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140134&hilit=Fuji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 pm 

mrlobber wrote:
Woah, that's a very competitive verified weight, right in the AX territory :shock:

The only problem - under-the-BB brakes :?

What's wrong with direct mount chainstay calipers? I've got them on my Felt AR and they work great for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 pm 

The lower center of gravity and clean looking seat stays are definitely an advantage in my book. I was already digging the checkered pattern on the carbon but I'm really find the aesthetics a major improvement over the F FRD. Well done, Felt! :thumbup:

RideWert.com
Wert Cycling on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:46 pm 

only thing is they extended the headtube compared to the previous F series bikes. it's still pretty low though.

Post subject: Re: RE: Re: FELT FR FRD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm 

mythical wrote:
I was already digging the checkered pattern on the carbon but I'm really find the aesthetics a major improvement over the F FRD. Well done, Felt!

A perfect match with Berk's sigmatex saddle!

Fuji SL 1.1 http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=140134&hilit=Fuji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:13 pm 

loudtiger wrote:
only thing is they extended the headtube compared to the previous F series bikes. it's still pretty low though.

The stack growth is about 19mm on average across the size range compared to the F.

The increase was split b/w the fork and head tube to keep the front triangle compact and maintain front end feel and head tube/front-end stiffness (which is up over the F).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:18 pm 

bkw wrote:
What's wrong with direct mount chainstay calipers? I've got them on my Felt AR and they work great for me.

I've got them on my AR as well, that's why I don't like them. Even in DA version, they're not really comparable to a solid chainstay mounted brake. And basically everyone of local Felt dealer who has ridden an AR, agreed on this on me. Sure, not a problem in flat races (I've done plenty on the AR), but definitely lack of braking power if showing up on some hills or bombing around the city.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:46 pm 

Long time Felt Aero Road rider here and I don't agree at all there is a lack of braking power, but everyone is different. However, I too was annoyed that they choose to go that route with the new bike. Oh well, maybe time to go disc on the road?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:24 am 

I don't see an issue with the chainstay brakes if you use a CB90 quick release. Although admittedly it isn't the most WW part but it's definitely convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:01 am 

Fred bike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 am 

Looks to me like a very sensible stiffness to weight ratio frame. like the paint job. reflective accents are a 'why didn't someone do this sooner' thing too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:56 am 

mrlobber wrote:
bkw wrote:
I've got them on my AR as well, that's why I don't like them. Even in DA version, they're not really comparable to a solid chainstay mounted brake. And basically everyone of local Felt dealer who has ridden an AR, agreed on this on me. Sure, not a problem in flat races (I've done plenty on the AR), but definitely lack of braking power if showing up on some hills or bombing around the city.
Have either of you considered EE direct mount brakes? They work in the same excellent way as the single-bolt version, whereas the Dura-Ace direct mount version is so markedly different from the standard one that it could explain a decrease in performance.

Ever since my first pair, EE brakes are my go-to brakes. I particularly recommended them for any FR FRD buyer and AR owner. And for those who find them ugly, under the BB they're out of sight. :wink:

RideWert.com
Wert Cycling on Facebook

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm 

mythical wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
bkw wrote:
Have either of you considered EE direct mount brakes? They work in the same excellent way as the single-bolt version, whereas the Dura-Ace direct mount version is so markedly different from the standard one that it could explain a decrease in performance.

Ever since my first pair, EE brakes are my go-to brakes. I particularly recommended them for any FR FRD buyer and AR owner. And for those who find them ugly, under the BB they're out of sight. :wink:

I don't think they're ugly at all! The direct mount EE's are my grail.. However, I haven't found it necessary to replace the DA9010 I've got under there currently.