*picture heavy* Evolution of unique custom made headset with help of @Lucendi

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Hey!

Thought I should add some pictures of my custom headset, which has taken forever to finish. Probably not that often such works go into a small detail like headset cover.

When I bought the frame (TFSA JH-33, also very similar to a SL7). It came with a stone-heavy headset but what irritated me the most was how weak it was looking. I never tested it, I haven't tested anything but it definitely didn't look amazing. So I immediately started to look at how to customize and make it better. And when I thought I had it done after hours and hours, it was even heavier but really safe, much safer than originally. I wrote to Lucendi, sent my parts and he was very quick with sketching up a copy of my original idea. But now when he could design and print from scratch we came up with a much sleeker design and I also decided to use a very different compression ring, a C-ring instead. Much lighter than previous models.

After a few tweaks back and forth with Lucendi I think the final results came out amazing. Surely, a few minor things could be improved but for me, it is okay as is. It requires some after-work regardless of how you design it as it needs to fit the frame perfectly which is hard to achieve in CAD. Needless to say, without Lucendi this would never have been possible!!!!!! I am great at working with my hands and various tool but designing in CAD, totally bollocks.

Also, the final design is INSAAAANEly light, wow! But also what I imagine is very safe. There is some flex in the final design, printed with carbon-reinforced nylon if I am not mistaken. Flexy but durable.

Best of all, bet you have never seen a headset cap with two CR2032 batteries hidden inside backup for AXS :thumbup:

Haven't decided what stem or integrated bar to use, hence the options to run either of them are possible. Would be nice to use the new Pro superlight vibe stem with internal routing, would fit perfectly but not look as good with only -6D tilt. Pictured are -12D Hyperstem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

We did two rounds of prototypes. I sent @eucalyptus a prototype printed in PLA and he test fitted it and made drawings with revisions. We repeated this step a second time and then printed a final version in the carbon fiber reinforced nylon.

Perrhaps two prototypes wasn't enough. Next time you need a headset dust cover/spacer I made this version based on the pictures in the thread above;