New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Yeah, I agree that I would never use full sync, and semi sync is what I do instinctively anyway, with full freedom to shift up or down as many gears as I want, depending on the terrain, etc.

As an aid for those with physical disabilities, this can't be faulted and if it helps anyone get on their bike who would otherwise not be able to to, then it can't be faulted. As an improvement over the current system for those with no disabilities regarding their ability to shift... nah.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Should have my 2x 9150 groupsets landing Tuesday.

Also the team's complaining about no 53x39 9100 cranks, I find that hard to believe. I have a set on my bike, as does the rest of my teammates, and I know of two other people outside of the team who have them too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

While I like the idea of synchroshift as it makes riding the bike easier to not worry about the FD and it will eliminate cross chaining I do have one concern - chain suck. I do often shift the FD and RD together and 99.99% of the time it is no problem but I have had 2 cases of chain suck that caused a lot of damage to my chain stay and both times it was happened when I double shifted down while under load on a hill. Not sure wether double shifting was the cause but both times it did happened when I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ooo

by ooo

synchro shift was released 2 years ago on xtr di2 to test it properly
'

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

cunn1n9 wrote:While I like the idea of synchroshift as it makes riding the bike easier to not worry about the FD and it will eliminate cross chaining I do have one concern - chain suck. I do often shift the FD and RD together and 99.99% of the time it is no problem but I have had 2 cases of chain suck that caused a lot of damage to my chain stay and both times it was happened when I double shifted down while under load on a hill. Not sure wether double shifting was the cause but both times it did happened when I did.

Did this happen with mechanical or Di2?

cdtf

by cdtf

TheDarkInstall wrote:Yeah, I agree that I would never use full sync, and semi sync is what I do instinctively anyway, with full freedom to shift up or down as many gears as I want, depending on the terrain, etc.

As an aid for those with physical disabilities, this can't be faulted and if it helps anyone get on their bike who would otherwise not be able to to, then it can't be faulted. As an improvement over the current system for those with no disabilities regarding their ability to shift... nah.

Yea, to be honest I was really surprised when Shimano announced synchro shift for road.

For me, that's a gift from god, as I had to use a climber shifter and a 5 junctions box to shift FD. By the way, the coming of Di2 was also amazing. Before di2 I had to use an mtb shifter on a road bar, that was awful.

But Shimano did not create synchro shift for people like me. And I really don't see how it benefits "normal" roadies. It will only be available on Di2 groupsets. No beginners use that stuff. If you race DA Di2, of course you don't give a shit about synchro shift.

I wont complain, of course, but I really don't understand the logic behind this.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

eaglejackson wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:While I like the idea of synchroshift as it makes riding the bike easier to not worry about the FD and it will eliminate cross chaining I do have one concern - chain suck. I do often shift the FD and RD together and 99.99% of the time it is no problem but I have had 2 cases of chain suck that caused a lot of damage to my chain stay and both times it was happened when I double shifted down while under load on a hill. Not sure wether double shifting was the cause but both times it did happened when I did.

Actually I have had it happen with both. I was really surprised when it happened with di2.

The last time it happened was on di2 and I had time to dissect what I think happened. I am not 100% sure but what I think happened is as follows.

Was in a quick paced climb in a bunch of 30 or so riders about middle of group. I was in big ring and a little passed the middle of the of cassette (more towards the bigger cogs). As the road was about to steepen and I needed a slightly lower gear I decided to switch to small chain ring and go up a cog on the back. I think the rider in front seemed to slow slightly as I did this so I backed of very slightly the power to avoid contact. This would have caused the chain on the bottom of the chainring to lose tension as it shifted and it got sucked up jamming between the small ring and chainstay. I had to stop and spend a few minutes pulling it out. I will be more careful in future and have vowed to only buy bikes in future that have an alloy chainstay protector that goes under the chainstay ( ie Focus, canyon and Fuji all do this. )

Hexsense

by Hexsense

cdtf wrote: It will only be available on Di2 groupsets. No beginners use that stuff. If you race DA Di2, of course you don't give a shit about synchro shift.

I wont complain, of course, but I really don't understand the logic behind this.

It need to be there so it will trickle down to Ultegra di2 next year.
and perhaps, 105 di2 later (if that will exist to fight with Sram's wireless groupset lower than Red).

Then it will make sense. DA di2 remain full featured premium. 105 di2 maintain the beginner-friendly killer feature tickled down from DA that make people pay more than mechanical groupset (or competitor) to get 105 di2.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

cunn1n9 wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:

Actually I have had it happen with both. I was really surprised when it happened with di2.

The last time it happened was on di2 and I had time to dissect what I think happened. I am not 100% sure but what I think happened is as follows.

Was in a quick paced climb in a bunch of 30 or so riders about middle of group. I was in big ring and a little passed the middle of the of cassette (more towards the bigger cogs). As the road was about to steepen and I needed a slightly lower gear I decided to switch to small chain ring and go up a cog on the back. I think the rider in front seemed to slow slightly as I did this so I backed of very slightly the power to avoid contact. This would have caused the chain on the bottom of the chainring to lose tension as it shifted and it got sucked up jamming between the small ring and chainstay. I had to stop and spend a few minutes pulling it out. I will be more careful in future and have vowed to only buy bikes in future that have an alloy chainstay protector that goes under the chainstay ( ie Focus, canyon and Fuji all do this. )

Sorry to hear that. I had something similar happen a few years with mechanical (Campy Record 11s) on my Pinarello. It chewed up and cracked the chainstay. I replaced the bike with a Parlee and switched to Di2 because I thought stuff like that wouldn't (couldn't?) happen with Di2. Thankfully I haven't had any chainsuck or dropping the chain issues with Di2. Sorry to hear you did.

petal666

by petal666

One of the Giant stores in Brisbane, Australia has 9150 Di2 bikes and groupsets available in store as of right now. Might drop in on the way home.

kode54

by kode54

cunn1n9 wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:

when i dropped my chain...it was shifting and hitting a small bump in the road at exactly the same time. it happens...and not knowing what caused it can drive you crazy.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fogman

by fogman

I have dropped chains causing mostly cosmetic paint damage to two expensive frames. I now use the K-Edge Chain Catcher on all my bikes.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

So, has anybody managed to get their hands on the new 9150? If so, what's the feedback?

petal666

by petal666

Went and looked at it, didn't test. It's Di2, it'll shift like it's meant too. Guy in the shop said it won't let you cross chain in the small ring, can only go down to the 3rd or 2nd last small cog. It's to stop beginners riding in the wrong gear. Interesting if that is true.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

petal666 wrote:...It's Di2, it'll shift like it's meant too. Guy in the shop said it won't let you cross chain in the small ring, can only go down to the 3rd or 2nd last small cog. It's to stop beginners riding in the wrong gear. Interesting if that is true.

"it'll shift like its meant to"??. It can't tell if I'm just about to start a climb or crest one. It can't tell how I'm feeling. It can't tell if my buddy just decided to call a sprint to an imaginary signpost a hundred yards away while I was putting arm warmers in my back pocket (hate when he does that). It can't tell a whole bunch of things that get processed instantly in my mind that result in my decisions of when to shift and what gear to shift into. Nothing to gain with synchroshift by an experienced cyclist or someone who wants total control over their own drive train. It's usefulness is limited to, as previously noted, those with physical handicaps (and this a great use), and people who really have absolutely no desire to understand the least bit of how their drivetrain actually works, so they can use it to their advantage in any situation that might arise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com