New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

I should have added that if the PM works as well as the DA cassette then none of the PM manufactures are worrying ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darceking

by Darceking

But if it works as well as there brakes. Then all manufactures should start worrying ;)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

any news on an updated cassette design?? I've personally had zero issues with mine........ but.
BB

Coffee & carbon

hjb1000

by hjb1000

FreaK wrote:No word on a 30mm spindle?

Now that is an interesting question...
Personally I'm pretty happy with BSA threaded + 24mm, but for WW's and deflection tests, a 30mm spindle will improve things markedly. That would lop 100g of the cranks easy.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

fromtrektocolnago wrote:All I wanted was a fix to the rear deralieur cable fray issue. Was totally happy otherwise.

They did that years ago when they came out with Di2.

newforker

by newforker

hjb1000 wrote:
FreaK wrote:No word on a 30mm spindle?

Now that is an interesting question...
Personally I'm pretty happy with BSA threaded + 24mm, but for WW's and deflection tests, a 30mm spindle will improve things markedly. That would lop 100g of the cranks easy.

Although I am welcome to it, I dont see Shimano adopting some other company's "standard"..although a 386 Shimano crank would work with pretty much any BB system..

deek

by deek

Except for Trek. Kind of wish they would abandon BB90 and then maybe we can settle down on the crank standards.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

are there any pics of the crank with the PM floating around?

spartan

by spartan

when is the official rollout on the net? someone mentioned early april.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

jooo

by jooo

deek wrote:Except for Trek. Kind of wish they would abandon BB90 and then maybe we can settle down on the crank standards.

Pretty sure some of their new MTB's have ditched it, so there's hope!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What exactly is wrong with BB90 if I may ask. Granted I'm fairly new to it (October 2014 on my Emonda), but it's operated flawlessly for me. Super easy to set up... just put a couple of bearings in either side, slide the crank through in the normal fashion, adjust in the normal fashion, and good to go. Super simple. They seem to have the tolerances down now, at least when I checked (and I did check), so if that was an issue before it doesn't seem to be now. :noidea:

Still prefer a threaded BB over all else for sure, but those are pretty rare these days.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FreaK

by FreaK

They're about to be less rare since Chris King came out with that new one. But it's not so much that any one particular one is bad, just that the interchangeability these days is a minefield.
Pinarello was the only company besides Cannondale doing anything nonstandard until they offered BB30 up to the industry as a whole, and then all of a sudden everyone thinks they can skin that same cat better and now you have to go BB shopping after you decide what frame you want.
But i digress, the topic at hand was power meters; my first suspicion is that it's not going to be standard, there would be two models. It's conceivable that it might be standard with the Di2 group as that would be information that the system could use if they wanted to start doing automatic shifting. I'd be curious about connectivity though, I mean you don't hear a lot about Polar these days since the Garmin and its Ant+ took over. I sure don't miss having to setup Flight Decks, so i'm not sure how much i'd trust Shimano to take care of the display unit.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

jooo

by jooo

Calnago wrote:What exactly is wrong with BB90 if I may ask.

It just limits your crank choice to 24mm spindles (unless you use tiny bearings).

micky

by micky

mariovalentim wrote:are there any pics of the crank with the PM floating around?

Search for pictures of FDJ riders from this year and you'll see them.
Otherwise check the powermeter topic.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

IMO, there is zero chance Shimano will adopt the Chris King BB design or something else. Shimano sets standards; they don't adopt others'. That's how 800 lb. gorillas work. No judgment by me whether it's good or bad, it's just how it is.

My speculation is that they will have two cranks, one with and one without power meter. I expect it to be premium priced, just as Dura Ace is. And, given my great respect for Shimano engineering, I expect it will work very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com