New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

glepore wrote:Wow, the number of error's posted about the bluetooth connection is scary.

Indeed. I am going to stick with my 9070, not seeing enough benefit in upgrading, but I was considering a new battery and such to enable the syncro shift. I am now convinced I should bother for a good while to let Shimano sort out the kinks. My DI2 is working perfectly well right now and I don't want to jeopardize that!

wingguy

by wingguy

Sacke wrote:A riding buddy wanted to order the eTap hydraulic disc set for his Colnago V1-R disc, and the French importer told him that he should be ready to wait, because of a silent recall due to problems with the system.

Recall seems an odd word, not sure how you can recall something that was never shipped in the first place :wink:

Anyway, if SRAM are having problems with eTap Hydro it's not that they can't make the two work together - it's that they decided to use the extra space in the eTap hoods to design a new hydraulic system with several major upgrades all arriving at once, both at the lever and the caliper.... and SRAM's track record for trouble free rollouts of new brake tech is less than stellar! :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sacke

by Sacke

wingguy wrote:
Sacke wrote:A riding buddy wanted to order the eTap hydraulic disc set for his Colnago V1-R disc, and the French importer told him that he should be ready to wait, because of a silent recall due to problems with the system.

Recall seems an odd word, not sure how you can recall something that was never shipped in the first place :wink:

Anyway, if SRAM are having problems with eTap Hydro it's not that they can't make the two work together - it's that they decided to use the extra space in the eTap hoods to design a new hydraulic system with several major upgrades all arriving at once, both at the lever and the caliper.... and SRAM's track record for trouble free rollouts of new brake tech is less than stellar! [emoji38]

True... Recall is not the right word, but had they started shipping to distributors?

In any case, personally I think I'll go one more year with rim brakes. New DA of course, the best of the rim brake bunch. [emoji6]

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

cyclespeed wrote:Basically a highly stressful, error ridden experience that hasn't boosted my 'customer experience' much. Can't understand why this is being sold to the public with so many faults in it. Hopefully it's OK now though.

Similar to my experience except mine stayed dead. Neither I nor my dealer could revive it and they had to replace the battery to bring the system back to life.

It's disconcerting that Shimano could release such junk software into the consumer marketplace.

petal666

by petal666

If you have a windows PC, I don't know why you would try and update via firmware bluetooth.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

petal666 wrote:If you have a windows PC, I don't know why you would try and update via firmware bluetooth.

Yeah, I don't have a PC. I downloaded Parallels emulator on 14 day free trial, but then realized I would also need Windows 10, which is at least $50, so no go there either.

In any case, even had I pre-updated everything by PC, I still would have had the same situation, as the first thing that happened was Etubes app started updating the new EW-WU101, (which failed) and then the new battery (which also failed).

Besides, the whole point of this new system is TO BE ABLE to update by Bluetooth, so if it can't do it reliably.......

The only 2 things that did update OK, error free, were the 2 derailleurs.

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

sun wrote:
ryanw wrote:Anyone know the difference between the EW-WU101 and the EW-WU111, is it purely aesthetics?

The difference is listed here:

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2.3/ROAD%20Di2%20spec/Wireless%20Unit?q=ewwu1

So the EW-WU101 adds the functions of "suspension mode" & "shift mode". I guess the former is MTB specific but what does "shift mode" do? Is it also MTB specific or does it make it worth buying the bulkier EW-WU101 over the slimline EW-WU111 for road use?

ms6073

by ms6073

eaglejackson wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:It's disconcerting that Shimano could release such junk software into the consumer marketplace.

I doubt it is Shimano, but more likley the OS' implementation of Bluetooth. There are similar horror stories for owners of Smart Trainers during firmware updates via Bluettoh failing and essentailly bricking brand new $900-$1500 trainers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kode54

by kode54

BdaGhisallo wrote:
glepore wrote:Wow, the number of error's posted about the bluetooth connection is scary.

Indeed. I am going to stick with my 9070, not seeing enough benefit in upgrading, but I was considering a new battery and such to enable the syncro shift. I am now convinced I should bother for a good while to let Shimano sort out the kinks. My DI2 is working perfectly well right now and I don't want to jeopardize that!

same here. i'm waiting till all the bugs are squashed. my 9070 is working so why upgrade...unless i change something like RD...then i'll have to...maybe. if i use new 9150 RD with everything else 9070...maybe it won't work. i don't want to take that chance until something breaks...then i'll be forced to change something.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well, in a manner of speaking we are all waiting. I've got the new wireless and battery, Bluetooth app works fine, but still no firmware for the Rd and FD to enable synchroshift.......

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

sun

by sun

SvenNijs wrote:
sun wrote:
ryanw wrote:Anyone know the difference between the EW-WU101 and the EW-WU111, is it purely aesthetics?

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2.3/ROAD%20Di2%20spec/Wireless%20Unit?q=ewwu1

So the EW-WU101 adds the functions of "suspension mode" & "shift mode". I guess the former is MTB specific but what does "shift mode" do? Is it also MTB specific or does it make it worth buying the bulkier EW-WU101 over the slimline EW-WU111 for road use?

My understanding is that it shows which mode of shifting you are in. I believe you can change the sync shifting on the fly and it would show you.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

SvenNijs wrote:
sun wrote:

I went for the 101 over the 111 as;

a) it's available now
b) I already have the old SM 11 in place so it's an easy swap
c) seems to be more functionality with the 101 over 111
d) Shimano strangely seem to be telling you to put the 111 up front, externally, which would look messy, and you would need to buy an extra cable to fit it.

Mine is working OK now, Bluetooth connection seems fine. So it was just the initial set up that was pants.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Because I am a very naughty boy, I recently decompiled the eTube software, and loaded it into Visual Studio for a poke about. It is programmed in c#, and therefore sits on the .NET framework (which is why it doesn't support Mac; a typically ridiculous move from Shimano, who could have just programmed it in c++ and ported it (but that would involve finding a good Japanese programmer...))

I found a SHIT LOAD, and I mean a SHIT LOAD of errors in the code, as well as horrific commenting, and naming conventions, dodgy method construction, really bad my-first-programming-project level coding, complete lack of finesse, etc. and that was just with the main application, before I even got started on the associated files. So, the fact that this is causing errors does not surprise me one single bit.

It looks like the software has been 'coded' (and I use that term loosely) by a single guy, who really doesn't know what he is doing. The fact that it is done in c# makes me think they got some goon over from the banking section and asked him to make it.

Really shocking.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

TheDarkInstall wrote: The fact that it is done in c# makes me think they got some goon over from the banking section and asked him to make it.

Really shocking.

Should that read "w##king"section :? :D

Steve M
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

^ This [THUMBS UP SIGN]