New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So I have a stupid question. What modifications do I need to do on my bike so it will take one of the new Shimano 'shadow' rear derailleurs? Do I need a different derailleur hanger? Where does the new 'shadow' derailleur mount to?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

None at all. It will just screw in like usual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks glam2deaf. Now stupid question part 2. I assume the new Di2 derailleur will also adopt the shadow technology?

I found some info on this technology. It seems like the technology is better suited for MTB but we shall see when the new Dura Ace is released en mass.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/21061/why-doesnt-shimano-use-shadow-technology-on-road-derailleurs

Dez33

by Dez33

pdlpsher1 wrote:So I have a stupid question. What modifications do I need to do on my bike so it will take one of the new Shimano 'shadow' rear derailleurs? Do I need a different derailleur hanger? Where does the new 'shadow' derailleur mount to?

No, will bolt on. Eventually manufacturers start making frames specifically for the derailleur.

Last edited by Dez33 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Direct mount makes wheel changes much easier. It should be easy upgrade for manufacturers to offer DM hanger.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

corky

by corky

Man that is one butt ugly component.......

The mtbification of road bikes is turned up another notch.....

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

corky wrote:Man that is one butt ugly component.......

The mtbification of road bikes is turned up another notch.....

Obviously these are just typed words you are reading here on the internet, but I swear I predicted this at least 10 years ago, and got slated by everyone I told my theory to. I was right after all, lolz.

I think it is a good thing. Happened in BMX, and that was for the better (by far). Just like electronic music, where everything eventually becomes techno after a period of time, as that is the purest form of the art, I reckon we are headed towards a time when mtb and road bikes fully merge into a single pure form.

Predictions;

-Aero will trump weight, and weight weenieness will go the way of the narrow rim (sorry guys). Weights will continue to come down gradually but it will not be such a focus as it was before.
-Suspension will be introduced.
-28mm rims will be the minimum, and clincher tyres will evolve to have treads further round the casing.
-High end complete bikes will massively become the norm, at a low price
-30T compact will be standard, with 32t or more being seen all over the place.
-Shimano will merge Dura Ace and XTR into a single groupset.

etc.

corky

by corky

Gravel bikes are just a gateway.......

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

pdlpsher1 wrote:Thanks glam2deaf. Now stupid question part 2. I assume the new Di2 derailleur will also adopt the shadow technology?

I found some info on this technology. It seems like the technology is better suited for MTB but we shall see when the new Dura Ace is released en mass.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/21061/why-doesnt-shimano-use-shadow-technology-on-road-derailleurs

As far as I'm aware the Di2 is exactly the same. Plenty of good reasons to move the rear derailleur inward. From memory Shimano stated that in the even of a crash the QR bolt should be the widest part and hit the ground first. Should save a bit of impact of the derailleur.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

yup frame manufactures will come out with Direct mount option mech hangers in no time.

That rear mech needs to crawl back into he shimano mtb parts bin where it belongs.

very interested in the front mech, do we know if is compatiible with 9001???????

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the replies. Can someone elaborate what the following means? If the new derailleur will bolt-on to my existing frame why do I need a direct mount option?

Arfer01 wrote:yup frame manufactures will come out with Direct mount option mech hangers in no time.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

See how this attaches to the derailleur hanger?

Direct mount will do away with the extra 'hanger' between the hanger and the derailleur, while replacing the traditional derailleur that you have on your current bike. Like so.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

But I don't want a mountain bike. :). As a roadie, what's in it for me? As far as I can see it basically extends the hanger about twice as far as it would otherwise be and in so doing creates quite a lever effect in the event your bike should fall over on the drive side, meaning more force to break that hanger right off. Basically I think they've already said as much that the benefits to road bikes is basically nil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Progress for the sake of progress. Aesthetic or otherwise...

I like the way it looks, and looking forward to testing it properly, but I'm the same, don't really see the need for the mtb features on a road group. For a CX perspective it makes sense, but why not just make a CX specific group like Sram did?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Very nice. Thank you glam2deaf.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com