New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bipedzed

by bipedzed

ms6073 wrote:
Tristan wrote:No amount of fiddling with the grommet helps

I am guessing that is because the grommet in the images is an oval grommet typically used for downtube cable entry which will not fit in a round derailleur hole.

Make sure you have SM-GM01 which is the 6mm circle grommet instead of GM02 which is 7x8mm oval.

Tristan

by Tristan

Good observation about the oval grommet! It's the original Cannondale-fitted grommet and I didn't think to check it's shape.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Those grommets suck. Just use sugru and make yourself a custom one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

saeie1

by saeie1

Now I'm using ULTEGRA
I am highly commended for this new 9100.
I want to try it once.

kode54

by kode54

there's no other hole under or by the FD mount? some dual group frames (mech and electronic) have 2 holes. one in-between the chain stays like where you have it and another hidden by the FD bracket.

you'll have to remove the FD to see, but that's what i had when i had a dual group frameset. there's rubber plugs supplied to plug them up depending on what you use, mechanical or electronic.
oh, i almost forgot...Shimano makes a few cable channel stickers that can be used to tuck the cables close to the frame. you can use a small section of that to tuck it in instead of wrapping electrician's tape across the seat tube.

Tristan wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:Anyone using the new 9150 front mech and finding the e-tube wire feeds into the path of their rear wheel? I've had to feed the e-tube wire over the top of the mech hanger to stop it catching the wheel (on two bikes). And I'm using the little cable guide/extension to feed the cable into the mech.

Wondered if it was just me....

My Cannondale has the same issue...the wire exits just behind the BB and gets very close to the tire. I was going to apply a dab of hot-glue to stick it to the seattube.

Problem:

Super high-tech solution:
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

petal666

by petal666

That's not a Di2 problem, it's a Cannondale design 'fault'.

djwalker

by djwalker

petal666 wrote:That's not a Di2 problem, it's a Cannondale design 'fault'.

I think it's a bit of both. The groove in the Shimano grommets isn't wide enough to go through any carbon tube I've tried them on and have the grommet go all the way through the tube. They probably work for metal tubes but not things like carbon bottom brackets. The result is that the grommet is not really held in place and pops out all the time.

jeffy

by jeffy

Am i stupid to not want to buy a frame/bike that hasn't confirmed that a direct mount hanger will be available for it in the future?

so many reasons to hold off buying a new bike, can't help but think the various uncertainties will impact the market.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

djwalker wrote:

I think it's a bit of both. The groove in the Shimano grommets isn't wide enough to go through any carbon tube I've tried them on and have the grommet go all the way through the tube. They probably work for metal tubes but not things like carbon bottom brackets. The result is that the grommet is not really held in place and pops out all the time.

...One last time....
Sugru works great for this!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

AfromD

by AfromD

djwalker wrote:

I had success on a carbon frame by carefully but forcefully pushing in the center of the grommet with the rounded back end of a teaspoon. I first hooked in the widest part of the groove, which isn't so easy because the wire will try to rotate out.

djwalker

by djwalker

Ordered some Sugru. Thanks for the suggestion. Not only for this but also to fix a couple of cable that the dog chewed up.

kode54

by kode54

djwalker wrote:

not true. must be more of a Cannondale issue since i can use both oval and round Shimano grommets and it fits/works on all my frames with Di2. even on the rear chain stay on the AX Lightness. seems like it won't fit...but with a little liquid to make it slippery...it fits right in without issues. from the looks of some of the pictures, it could be that there's dirt or grit in there that prevents it from sliding in.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

djwalker wrote:Ordered some Sugru. Thanks for the suggestion. Not only for this but also to fix a couple of cable that the dog chewed up.

i should probably use some Sugru for attaching a magnet on the frame for a PM.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kode54 wrote:
djwalker wrote:Ordered some Sugru. Thanks for the suggestion. Not only for this but also to fix a couple of cable that the dog chewed up.

i should probably use some Sugru for attaching a magnet on the frame for a PM.

Yup! Sugru and a strong rare-earth magnet on the chain stay work better for me than the spec SRM magnet mount.