Lightest Cable Housing Options Venge ViAS Compatible

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I finally pulled the trigger on a Venge ViAS module, and I was hoping to do eTAP, but it looks like availability is still low, and it's still heavier anyway so I'm going to go mechanical Red. So with the Venge ViAS it uses a full cable run internally for the shift cables. I want to build this bike as light as possible since it is a somewhat heavy platform, I want to cut weight wherever I can, and this seems like a place I can try to save a few grams. I doubt a link system would work on the full internal routing, and if it did it would probably rattle. So those are out. I'm sure since the ViAS has been out for awhile that I'm not the first one thinking of this on this forum. Have any of you had any success with any particular cable, or anything you might suggest? I'm also thinking about trying Powercordz, and replacing all the hardware with black anodized titanium. I want to see just how light I can make this bike. I know it will be an uphill battle. Thanks in advance for any help you can share.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

ProfessorChaos wrote:I was hoping to do eTAP, but it looks like availability is still low, and it's still heavier anyway so I'm going to go mechanical Red.

It's available if you pull the trigger quick... i have it.

My bike went from 6.52kg to 6.48kg when i went from Red 22 mechanical to eTap. To be clear I also switched my brake cables from the Sram provided Red 22 to Jagwire Elite Link at the same time.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Hmm, having built my own and knowing how important quality/reliable cables and housings are on this bike I'm not sure if I'd try and save weight there. I have Red22 but used Shimano 9000 level cables and housings.

The lightest combo I've tried on mine is 7.4kg with CCU's, Red22 and Tune Kom Vorr saddle (including Quarq). With 4.5's I think it's around 7.65kg, IIRC. A tad more than that with the 64's.....fwiw.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

oldnslow2 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:I was hoping to do eTAP, but it looks like availability is still low, and it's still heavier anyway so I'm going to go mechanical Red.

My bike went from 6.52kg to 6.48kg when i went from Red 22 mechanical to eTap. To be clear I also switched my brake cables from the Sram provided Red 22 to Jagwire Elite Link at the same time.

Wow according to SRAM's numbers eTAP should be about 120g heavier. I believe that omits the cables, but I woudn't think cables would be that huge of a difference. Thanks for the info. How do you like your eTAP?

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

ProfessorChaos wrote:So I finally pulled the trigger on a Venge ViAS module, and I was hoping to do eTAP, but it looks like availability is still low, and it's still heavier anyway so I'm going to go mechanical Red. So with the Venge ViAS it uses a full cable run internally for the shift cables. I want to build this bike as light as possible since it is a somewhat heavy platform, I want to cut weight wherever I can, and this seems like a place I can try to save a few grams. I doubt a link system would work on the full internal routing, and if it did it would probably rattle. So those are out. I'm sure since the ViAS has been out for awhile that I'm not the first one thinking of this on this forum. Have any of you had any success with any particular cable, or anything you might suggest? I'm also thinking about trying Powercordz, and replacing all the hardware with black anodized titanium. I want to see just how light I can make this bike. I know it will be an uphill battle. Thanks in advance for any help you can share.

Kcnc makes titanium cables (if you're still going the cable route (no pun intended)) which will save some weight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Keep in mind that the VIAS uses full length hosing for all the cables. That is a lot more weight than if you were to compare the cable/housing weight on a bike that uses frame stops instead of cable housing. I could see etap saving a lot more than 120g in housing alone. Not to mention the hassle in running that cable housing (it's real though not insurmountable).

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

ProfessorChaos wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:

Wow according to SRAM's numbers eTAP should be about 120g heavier. I believe that omits the cables, but I woudn't think cables would be that huge of a difference. Thanks for the info. How do you like your eTAP?

I really like it. It's quick, easy to get used to and requires zero effort to shift. I tried every possible cross chaining option to get it to fail... it never did.

Unless the scale is wrong the number are the numbers.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

pyrahna wrote:Keep in mind that the VIAS uses full length hosing for all the cables. That is a lot more weight than if you were to compare the cable/housing weight on a bike that uses frame stops instead of cable housing. I could see etap saving a lot more than 120g in housing alone. Not to mention the hassle in running that cable housing (it's real though not insurmountable).

Yeah this is why I was leaning that way in the first place. Now today a new perspective buyer for my Cervelo emerged, so hopefully he buys it and helps fund my eTAP purchase.

bas

by bas

Just about to pick mine up, any other ideas to save weight?

Has anyone managed to run something like the Nokon cable and outer?

It is a heavy thing.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I've been kicking around the idea of switching to segmented housing wrapped in shrink tube. I'm hesitant about segmented housing alone, as it could rattle around inside the frame.

I did switch to Ti bolts on a lot of the proprietary hardware. That helped a little.

The bike is about 1lb heavier than my 2015 SW Venge, but you don't really notice it much. At least on the rolling hills I've been riding. I'm taking it to the mountains in the coming weeks to climb some HC climbs. We'll see how it performs there.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

jag wire elite link is good. And light

RyanH

by RyanH

eTap was 80g heavier than sram red 10 speed with iLinks, one of the lighter housing options. 120g without cables sounds right, 40g for mini I links.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I weighed the 2 shift housings I removed (along with the foam outter housing meant to eliminate rattles) when I built my latest ViAS with eTap and it came in at 91g. Fwiw....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com