New wheels for Oltre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hanzo111

by hanzo111

so a few months ago I wrecked my Oltre, I also destroyed my front wheel (Enve 3.4) I am getting my frame back from
Spyder composites where a crack was repaired any day now.

The question is, should I order a new rim for the Enve or just order a set of lightweights? I really want a set of Meilenstein tubulars.
I have never owned a set but love the bling and weight.

Regards,

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Hmm enve stem and bars already so my vote is ......

oopssk8

by oopssk8

Take lightweight.
i use gipfelsturm now, it make me proud during group riding.
surely lighter than others and unique.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think you have already made your choice. Why ask people one here to encourage you?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

sharkman

by sharkman

I would order a 3.4 and hire someone that does a better job building the bike (unless the bike in the picture has the shifters intentionally put wat to low on the bar_

kgt

by kgt

Go for LWs. You will never regret it.

hanzo111

by hanzo111

sharkman wrote:I would order a 3.4 and hire someone that does a better job building the bike (unless the bike in the picture has the shifters intentionally put wat to low on the bar_

HA! Good point, This pic was taken after i wrecked and the bike was being disassembled. I wish i was flexible enough to ride in that position.

I will send the Enve in for crash replacement and keep them as my primary wheel set.

oopssk8 wrote:Take lightweight. i use gipfelsturm now, it make me proud during group riding.
surely lighter than others and unique.

I really like these but on this frame which has aero characteristics so a set of Meilensteins may be more appropriate. I weigh 172 pounds without kit so
I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Ill post pics when its complete.

cafegeek

by cafegeek

Say goodbye to your old friend(enve).
Lightweight will don't betray you.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Disclaimer: havent really ridden LW's aside from a very brief spin
Lighter rider (~140 pounds)

I've tried a bunch of wheelsets on my Oltre XR2 and I would not recommend the LW's. My point of comparison are Mavic CCUs which are almost a shitty copy of the LW design (and by shitty, I do mean shit, Mavic, at least in the past make rubbish wheelsets). Basically ultra-stiff wheels with a pretty stiff/harsh frame is a bad combo in my experience. The Oltre was almost unrideble for distances over 60km with the CCU's - was just brutal to the body (obviously Im exaggerating). Best wheelset I've tried for the Oltre so far have been a set of Xentis Squad 5.8s. (also tried Bora Ultra II's/Fulcrum XLR, Campy Neutrons, DA9000 C24 tubulars, Hed Jet 6's and Xentis Squad 2.5's).
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

mrgray

by mrgray

my vote is get a LW because once you've got the itch it needs to be scratched but don't go Meil. Go Gipf. Gusting winds push on the Meil's a bit plus Gipfs might be more comfortable. plus awesome light and look sick too.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

zappafile123

by zappafile123

mrgray wrote:my vote is get a LW because once you've got the itch it needs to be scratched but don't go Meil. Go Gipf. Gusting winds push on the Meil's a bit plus Gipfs might be more comfortable. plus awesome light and look sick too.

+1

who wants wheels you have to put away when the winds exceed 20km/h?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

jrobart

by jrobart

I have a similar itch. Currently running Enve 3.4s on my Seven Axiom SL. Been drooling over Lightweights for some time now. Have upgraded from pic in my signature to 2015 SR and Time bars and stem. Thinking of the Gipfs too.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

caballero

by caballero

As beautiful as the lightweights are id forego them and get a set of bora 35/50s

hanzo111

by hanzo111

Man, I'm tempted to get a set of Gipfs. I want a deeper profile though. still haven't made my decision yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

physeter

by physeter

I would considerer the Bora option as well; I haven't ridden lightweights; I own a set of enve 45 laced to Alchemy hubs, Reynolds 32/46 laced to tune 70/170 and boras ultra two

All of them are great wheelsets, and despite is weight I find the boras the more balanced and smoother feeling wheel.

Said that, if you dream is lw, go for them; life is to short....