My friend Eds 58cm custom 700 grm frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RussellS

by RussellS

Not sure who this Eds bikes is, but the picture in the first post in this thread is clearly of an ENVE bike. It has a huge ENVE decal on the fork. Very plain to see ENVE made the fork and most likely the frame too. No one else would put such a huge ENVE decal on their bike and have no decals or anything on the frame. An ENVE bike.

As for the comments about the appearance of this bike. I went to the link provided in the opening post. If you go down to the picture of the headtube, it appears the coating on the frame is very poor. I can understand this honeycomb, dimples surface. Golf balls have dimples for a reason. But when looking at the picture of the headtube, the transition from the dimple surface at the bottom 2/3 to the smooth thinner section at the upper 1/3 is terrible. Its rough and not uniform. Its a very sloppy transition. Very poor work. And why does the left side of the headtube have a uniform pattern of dimples, and the right side is very rough and ragged. Why does the left and right side of the headtube have two different surface treatments? And the picture of the seattube right below the headtube picture. The transition from the honeycomb portion at the bottom of the seattube to the upper smooth thin portion. Why is the transition so rough and jagged and not uniform?

As for the thinness of the tubes. I am sure there is some formula to optimize weight, tube thickness, tube diameter, strength, stiffness. Guessing it might be closer to Cannondale size tubes than the old 1 inch steel tubes used on this bike and bikes of the 70s and before.

53x12

by 53x12

RussellS wrote:Not sure who this Eds bikes is, but the picture in the first post in this thread is clearly of an ENVE bike. It has a huge ENVE decal on the fork. Very plain to see ENVE made the fork and most likely the frame too. No one else would put such a huge ENVE decal on their bike and have no decals or anything on the frame. An ENVE bike.

WTF?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Totally an ENVE bike. Although then I saw the 3T sticker, and it hit me - It's a 3T bike! But then i looked even closer and saw the Chris King headset.. and i smacked myself. DUH. It's a Chris King bike. You all are so unobservant!!! Credit me for the brilliant deduction please.

I think this bike is super interesting from a pushing the boundaries/custom standpoint. From the pics, I do think it looks quite unfinished, and don't love the transitions to honeycomb. But I don't think pure aesthetics was the point here - I think it's more to showcase technique and what can be done. That being said, If i were to buy this, it would be like a 3rd bike (assuming I had $10k burning a hole in my pocket for a 3rd bike).. It's like your pair of red pants.. you can only wear them so many times a season.

xena
Banned

by xena

jekyll man wrote:
xena wrote:
jekyll man wrote:I'm sorry but get closer to, and that looks like someone's vomited on it :noidea:

I'm sick of this sh4t ..every time I post, some shi5t head like you comes on and puts in a pile of negative sh%t which is basically aimed at me , it happens to often. Go check my posts and you will see .

You have not seen Eds work up close I have. Your being a deliberate MF. GFY and all the rest of you xena haters.

If I get a ban for this post then fair enough but it has to be said. Trolling or being a ar£hole or whatever you call it but it always happens on my posts. your a bunch of jealous tw%%s.

Excuse me for offering a personal view :oops:
I'm not going to stoop to your low level of grammar and name calling, i'm better than that (or so i'm told).

I actually went to the effort to read and look at the pictures provided on the link.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for this viewer its not working.
It could be the best thing since sliced bread, but if it doesn't appeal visually, then it will struggle ( I've had bike only its mother could love so I know :wink: )
There are a lot of great people on this site that are now producing great things (kevosinn, craddock, Berk etc) which is something this site has sadly missed over the last few years. I've loved following their work, and hope they are successful and continue to post.
I'm sure they are all man enough to take any criticism on the chin where its due and also to ignore other stuff. I'm also certain they'd consider attractiveness a major part of their product plan.

The world would be a really dull place if everyone just agreed on what was "good" and what was "bad", and its even worse when people just agree for the sake of it. Likewise it doesn't need people acting like you jumping to name calling and character assassination on their behalf.

Your post is "vomit" that's my opinion. Also IMO you have no idea what you are talking about.

many thanks Ray J
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

xena
Banned

by xena

Seriously did you look at the links ?
Ed does not make his own forks like a lot of indie builders "The fork is a modified Pinarello track fork since THEY DON'T MAKE THEIR OWN FORKS"

There are WORDS along side the photos that explain each bike and their concept.
If you want a super looking smooth then that's not a problem
We have a 58cm bike under 700grm. No else has achieved this. The bikes are about his skills and talents and what is possilble
The fact it got such a good review speaks for itself.

Critic fine . but you don't even know what your looking at to critic.

xena
Banned

by xena

Juanmoretime wrote:Let's please keep on the discussion about frame. I do think Jekyll Man's second post was not an attack just explaining why he does not like "vanilla".

This frame is a great example of what can be done with composite materials but I too have a hard time getting beyond the appearance. My bikes besides being function have to visually appeal to me too. I'm also very excited to see where Ed can go with this now.

I agree.

Just saying something is "vomit" is not the way to go though.

The point of Eds "concepts" is to show what can be done . That's why the honey comb is shown in that way [ its carbon designed by him] That's why the Frames are naked carbon so you can see the skill of the joins etc.
He could easily make you a bike that fits your demands look style weight etc.
58cm frame under 700grms :shock:
A lot of you have missed the point IMO.
I know Ed and have been to his workshop and seen some of the bikes he has built for customers and they are amazing.
I feel angered that I have to defend a talented craftsman because all you want to see is a nice looking painted frame. Some of you have totally missed the point.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

xena wrote:I feel angered that I have to defend a talented craftsman because all you want to see is a nice looking painted frame. Some of you have totally missed the point.

You have your point of view. Others have their's. I don't think "the point" was missed by anyone.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

danbjpa

by danbjpa

I liked this Tsubasa Crow. Nice carbon look.
He made your seatpost combo, right?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

RussellS

by RussellS

VTBike wrote:Totally an ENVE bike. Although then I saw the 3T sticker, and it hit me - It's a 3T bike! But then i looked even closer and saw the Chris King headset.. and i smacked myself. DUH. It's a Chris King bike. You all are so unobservant!!! Credit me for the brilliant deduction please.

Unlike you, I did not use a microscope to examine the bike. I just looked at the picture and saw "ENVE" jumping off the picture. So its obviously made by ENVE. Who else but ENVE would put a huge decal of ENVE on a bike? If this Ed chap made the bike, he would put "Ed" on it to show everyone he made the bike. Since "ENVE" is the only thing on the bike, its obvious ENVE made it. Pretty simple really.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

RussellS wrote:
VTBike wrote:Totally an ENVE bike. Although then I saw the 3T sticker, and it hit me - It's a 3T bike! But then i looked even closer and saw the Chris King headset.. and i smacked myself. DUH. It's a Chris King bike. You all are so unobservant!!! Credit me for the brilliant deduction please.

Unlike you, I did not use a microscope to examine the bike. I just looked at the picture and saw "ENVE" jumping off the picture. So its obviously made by ENVE. Who else but ENVE would put a huge decal of ENVE on a bike? If this Ed chap made the bike, he would put "Ed" on it to show everyone he made the bike. Since "ENVE" is the only thing on the bike, its obvious ENVE made it. Pretty simple really.

Were you damaged as a child?
Using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

RussellS wrote:

WTF?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

VTBike

by VTBike

RussellS wrote:If this Ed chap made the bike, he would put "Ed" on it to show everyone he made the bike. Since "ENVE" is the only thing on the bike, its obvious ENVE made it. Pretty simple really.

Seriously best thing i've read today. Amazing. I still can't stop laughing. Will someone who knows this builder please tell him to just put a big "Ed" on it to prove he made it? Brilliant.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Mum has some serious questions to answer....
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

^ Must be property of ENVE since their name is on it.