My friend Eds 58cm custom 700 grm frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Is that Jamis safe to ride with 10cm of spacers beneath the stem? :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tranzformer

by tranzformer

tonytourist wrote:Is that Jamis safe to ride with 10cm of spacers beneath the stem? :unbelievable:

I don't know, but ask Zipp since they obviously made it since their name is on bike 6 times while Jamis is on it only 4 times.

53x12

by 53x12

xena wrote:This is one of Eds bikes 700grms for a 58cm . Ed made all my seat post combos and bar stem combos He also helped customise both my bikes. He his a carbon master see more of his incredible work ,check the link :beerchug:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/03/03/nah ... ore-123242

Maybe if you had posted pictures of 3T's Crow frame, people wouldn't be so harsh here. I know I would ride the Crow frame and many others on here would as well.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

xena
Banned

by xena

53x12 I posted a link to the article in bike rumour.

Wingnut I have not posted my Guru built up but you can see the Frame here. By the way ENVE 1 forks :lol:

Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

53x12

by 53x12

Xena, yes I know you posted the link to the Bike Rumor article. I was just stating that if you had posted pictures of Ed's Crow frame in your post, people might not of been so harsh on his work.

I understand that the Kevlar honeycomb is a show of concept and is purpose built. Form follows function in this example. But unfortunately not everyone is able to understand that concept in regards to Ed's work.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I'm not sure how much I want to get into this because I feel it may just spiral downward but ill touch on a few things. When I said "small" tube I was referring to smaller than your typical carbon tubes. Now my last frame had small tubes compared to some modern carbon bikes but if you were to compare to even over sized steel they are still massive. I guess when I said "small" tubes I was meaning relative to typical steel frames with OS tubing. I don't think I was clear in the way I said that so just clearing that up. Also let me say I have obviously not ridden one of Ed's frames so I cannot comment on any stiffness or ride qualities I was just trying to state in a general way that its possible to have smaller tubes and still remain stiff. Also something to consider about small builders. Using the premium material in one frame IE Boron fiber, High mod carbon, or lets say a more expensive High mod. material with a lower areal weight does not cost a crazy amount more than standard material.....we can take a small hit when making 30-50 frames a year on each frame to offer that premium product. Now take a big company and think about that. Say specialized made 10,000 tarmacs and spent only $20 on some premium material (just using for example) that's $200,000. When its scaled up its obvious where a seemingly small cost really adds up quick. This is one of the advantages small builds have IMO.

Take that for what you want. Its just a few things to think about.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

kgt

by kgt

kevosinn wrote:Also let me say I have obviously not ridden one of Ed's frames so I cannot comment on any stiffness or ride qualities I was just trying to state in a general way that its possible to have smaller tubes and still remain stiff.

Ok, that pretty much answers my question.

kevosinn wrote:Now take a big company and think about that. Say specialized made 10,000 tarmacs and spent only $20 on some premium material (just using for example) that's $200,000. When its scaled up its obvious where a seemingly small cost really adds up quick. This is one of the advantages small builds have IMO.

That's simplistic...

Ahillock

by Ahillock

kgt wrote:Ok, that pretty much answers my question.

Ok kgt, have you ridden Ed's road bike?

kgt

by kgt

No... that's why I am asking someone who has ridden it or someone who actually knows its technical details.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Ok...that is what I figured. I'll disregard any comments people make about this frame's stiffness or ride characteristics that haven't ridden it.

kgt

by kgt

Ahillock... How old are you?
I made an assumption and I am asking, those who know better, whether my assumption is right or wrong.
Do you have anything to contribute to this thread?

Epic-o

by Epic-o

53x12 wrote:Maybe if you had posted pictures of 3T's Crow frame, people wouldn't be so harsh here. I know I would ride the Crow frame and many others on here would as well.

Honestly I would not ride this frame

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Kgt I was just offering some general info. Not trying to get crazy into it haha.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

xena
Banned

by xena

Epic-o wrote:
53x12 wrote:Maybe if you had posted pictures of 3T's Crow frame, people wouldn't be so harsh here. I know I would ride the Crow frame and many others on here would as well.

Honestly I would not ride this frame

Let me tell you this . Ed is one of the only builders I know who will change BSA bb frames to a press fit frames, he will do this for you and has done it successfully.
He will also and successfully has replaced spinning shells in BB'S etc and Ed will be putting a Titanium BB shell in my Trek very soon. He will take on repairs others will not and he gives a life time warranty.
Ed also used to be involved into aircraft repairs , Boeings were the ones he worked on most.
He's also working with a cycling team and does repairs for 3 well known bike stores [2 in London]

To make a innuendo and suggestion on the photo above is just ludicrous and shows a complete lack of knowledge concerning carbon fibre.
Have you seen what's under the paint of some of the most well established brands? You would be shocked.

That's Frame is a raw carbon finish Raw.

thanks Ray J
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Epic-o

by Epic-o

xena wrote:Have you seen what's under the paint of some of the most well established brands? You would be shocked.

That's Frame is a raw carbon finish Raw.

thanks Ray J

Raw

Other frames with wrapped joints look way better in terms of compactation and delamination