SRAM eTap rear derailleur problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sacke

by Sacke

oopssk8 wrote:Oh my. .i placed pre order.
how do you get this early?

The shop only received one single set this early. The rest are coming in April, as far as schedules go.

So unfortunately, there are none in stock left.

Based on our little problem, it could be that they are rolling out the eTap in single set quantities to store, in order to get the kind of real world feedback and catch problems before it could potentially result in a wider recall.

That would be my guess, since the reported problem immediately got a SRAM engineer involved in the discussion and the response was so much faster than one would ever expect from any main stream brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krackor

by Krackor

Sacke wrote:SRAM was finally very quick to take care of it. Apparently there was a problem with the derailleur, but they promised a send a new one that will be delivered today.

Not bad when the after sales service delivers a new piece in less than 24h.

Sram must have a separate stock of Etap earmarked specifically for service/warranty. This is a much faster turn-around than any new order will get.

Sacke

by Sacke

rmerka wrote:
Sacke wrote:SRAM was finally very quick to take care of it. Apparently there was a problem with the derailleur, but they promised a send a new one that will be delivered today.

Not bad when the after sales service delivers a new piece in less than 24h.

Would be nice to know what exactly went wrong, but I guess we may never know. My speculation is simply a motor failure with the electronics still functioning. Glad they are being good to you, rarely if ever does one hear of SRAM not standing behind any of their parts.

That would seem to be the case, and/or some sort of contact error since it wasn't possible to do the regular battery check either. Long push worked, but required considerably more pushing than on the front derailleur.

In any case, problem solved very quickly, so it's all good.

Hmsolomon

by Hmsolomon

Started riding my eTap 2 weeks ago. I can't say enough good things about it. Shop sold and installed it but must not have charged batteries all the way. I noticed the red light when I checked (by pressing the derailleur button). Recharged and replaced both derailleur batteries. The front derailleur never worked again. Dropped at shop yesterday. SRAM is sending new derailleur. Theory based on a single data point - sounds like delicate chipset problem caused by a power surge when reconnecting the battery.
Harold Solomon

Atlanta, GA
Road - 2016 Cervelo R3, 2008 Serotta Fierte
Mountain - '97 Gary Fisher Sugar 2
Cross - Ritchey Breakaway
Commuter - '79 Raleigh Grand Prix w/Brooks - found dumpster diving

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Hmsolomon wrote:Started riding my eTap 2 weeks ago. I can't say enough good things about it. Shop sold and installed it but must not have charged batteries all the way. I noticed the red light when I checked (by pressing the derailleur button). Recharged and replaced both derailleur batteries. The front derailleur never worked again. Dropped at shop yesterday. SRAM is sending new derailleur. Theory based on a single data point - sounds like delicate chipset problem caused by a power surge when reconnecting the battery.

It broke down on you almost immediately, and you 'can't say enough good things about it'??!

kgt

by kgt

lol
it's an eTap man... respect

Hmsolomon

by Hmsolomon

kgt wrote:lol
it's an eTap man... respect

Ahmen brother! Version 1.0 tech junkies have forgiveness as a primary reflex. Do you think Lambo drivers throw a fit every time they drop their exotic off for service? That 'feature' helps build the relationship between the dealer and the customer. I can't wait to get named parking spot at the LBS!
Harold Solomon

Atlanta, GA
Road - 2016 Cervelo R3, 2008 Serotta Fierte
Mountain - '97 Gary Fisher Sugar 2
Cross - Ritchey Breakaway
Commuter - '79 Raleigh Grand Prix w/Brooks - found dumpster diving