Help: Garmin Vector 2 long term reviews

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

I've had vector since it came out, upgraded my ver 1 to ver 2 last year. Last year I put a P2M on my nice bike and the vector now sits on my winter bike. I wouldn't recommend the system, it took garmin 8 months to resolve the firmware issue that they introduced. During that time I had inconsistent readings and ongoing dropouts from one pedal. The latest firmware has broadly resolved the problems but you still get the occassional ride with issues. By contrast my p2m just works, flawlessly, consistently, at half the price of vector.

There's a reason the pro team aren't using them, it's not reliable. Better options out there.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

I have had the original Vectors since they came out. Have 11,000 miles on them and getting close to 12,000 miles. They have been bomb proof and I haven't had any problems. Set it and forget it. I would highly recommend them for those considering the Vectors, especially those with multiple bikes as mentioned by several in this thread. I don't know of a better option for those with various BB and frame types. I can only speak for myself, but I have had zero issues with drop outs or my data. The Vectors have worked flawlessly and consistently since I got them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bungis

by bungis

Another positive anecdote. Had the vectors for a year now, about 5000 miles, and overall I'm happy. Didn't upgrade to the 2, had no need to and I like the way the original pods look.

I did have some power spikes and dropouts, but that seems to have vanished either magically or with the firmware updates I've been doing.

Changing bikes is pretty easy, especially when you've done it a few times. Probably don't really need a torque wrench except to get a feel of what the minimum torque feels like. Put your ass into it and scream.

Still on the original cleats too.

And now to be negative, it falls asleep too quickly for my liking. Also wished it zero-calibrated automatically like the p2m.

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

I wonder why many of the riders on Garmin Cannondale team are still not using Vectors as their primary powermeters.

I'd understand pro riders not wanting to mess up their power data with first year model glitches, but now?

Being one of the main title sponsors of the team, I would have thought Garmin would pressure their riders much more than other teams.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

you do have to somewhat pay attention when you throw the bike on the rack... I can see that being one good reason pro-teams might not want to deal with it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

srshaw

by srshaw

I didn't think Garmin sponsored Canonndale anymore. Might be a reason that they don't use vectors.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I got unlucky and my first set if single sided vectors broke (not the vectors 2 though) but they got replaced undef warranty. I now have two sets of vector 2's and worst problem is with the double sided pedals when i attempt zeto calibration i sometimes get a 512 error which means jnplug the pods and plug them back in again then recalibrate. Hardly a big problem. I will be buying a third set soon. Reliable pedals.

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

I just recently replaced my vector with quarq. I just justify shelling out another $600 for the right side pedal. Otherwise I have no complaints.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I also have had lots of trouble with Vectors.
I bought the Vectors 1 - the pods cracked and I had to wait ages to buy new pods. These failed, then after a deluge of emails Garmin sent me a new set, so I got an upgrade to Vector 2. They appear to be working but some of the readings are dubious and I'm never sure if they are correctly calibrated
The Vectors are an excellent concept but after having lots of problems with Garmin products I really wish that they would put less money into the glitzy sales and promotion of dodgy products and more into Research and Development
In short take a look at Power Tap pedals

chanthony91

by chanthony91

been using mine for over a year now - no issues unless the battery is low.
just remember to calibrate before the ride and everything should run smoothly!