Help: Garmin Vector 2 long term reviews

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Garmin Vector 2, but the more I read about it the more confused I am. All the online portals gave the unit good reviews, but some of my friends had quite bad experiences with the original Vectors (power drift, calibration issues, etc.). Also it's quite alarming that cannondale garmin still hasn't used the unit in racing. As far as I know they are on SRMs.

I'd appreciate any long term opinions / reviews on the Vector 2.

The other option would be P2M, but it would be heavier (I have a bb86 frameset so the only option would be rotor 3D24) and probably the front shifting wouldn't be as great with praxis rings as with my current ultegra chainset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synthesis

by synthesis

Have you looked at powerpod?

http://www.powerpodsports.com/

Dalai

by Dalai

synthesis wrote:Have you looked at powerpod?

http://www.powerpodsports.com/

That is just a power estimator. An iBike without a screen...

sd5500

by sd5500

I've had the vectors since they first came out, and they have worked great for me. I've never had power drop outs, or inconsistent readings. I did have the original pods crack, and Garmin did send me the new pods at no charge. For me with 3 bikes, ask with different BBs, vector made sense.

53x12

by 53x12

nemeseri wrote:I'm thinking about buying a pair of Garmin Vector 2, but the more I read about it the more confused I am. All the online portals gave the unit good reviews, but some of my friends had quite bad experiences with the original Vectors (power drift, calibration issues, etc.). Also it's quite alarming that cannondale garmin still hasn't used the unit in racing. As far as I know they are on SRMs.

I'd appreciate any long term opinions / reviews on the Vector 2.

The other option would be P2M, but it would be heavier (I have a bb86 frameset so the only option would be rotor 3D24) and probably the front shifting wouldn't be as great with praxis rings as with my current ultegra chainset.

Sounds like you need to read this: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/hand ... ector.html

I have had my Vectors for close to 2.5 years. No issues and I have been very happy as a customer. I came from a wired and wireless SRM. Best decision I made to sell the SRMs and move to the Vectors, especially since I have multiple bikes with various BBs and many different wheels. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Vectors again.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

russianbear

by russianbear

A year and some months now on my original Vector S. I've had power drop out twice early on, but easily fixed by popping the battery door and resetting. After the last time I updated them, I have had 0 issues. Confident in my data as I train with my friends who have Stages and P2M; we see consistent increases in wattage doing intervals. If i had to do it all over again today, I'd buy them in a heart beat, especially since they've dropped the price.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've had them for about 2 years as well.. little misses here and there mostly due to Apple updates early on that didn't work so well with my Edge1000 and vectors. Lately they have been trouble free except for the time I tried to upgrade to V2 pods... one pod was not working or communicating... I still need to send it back and get new ones... but dorking with vector pods for a few hours is not high on my list of things to do. V1 pods went back on and have been good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

flafonta

by flafonta

I had many issues with my Vector 2S, where the power often read ridiculously low (e.g. avg power at 55 watts for a hard ride). After 6 weeks of troubleshooting with Garmin, they sent me a brand new box. That second set often reads way too high, giving me power ratings that would put as a world class athlete (which I am not I can assure you :) ).
I know many people have had success with the Vectors, but I am not one of these cases.

53x12

by 53x12

flafonta wrote:I had many issues with my Vector 2S, where the power often read ridiculously low (e.g. avg power at 55 watts for a hard ride). After 6 weeks of troubleshooting with Garmin, they sent me a brand new box. That second set often reads way too high, giving me power ratings that would put as a world class athlete (which I am not I can assure you :) ).
I know many people have had success with the Vectors, but I am not one of these cases.

Do you use a torque wrench?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

flafonta

by flafonta

53x12 wrote:
flafonta wrote:I had many issues with my Vector 2S, where the power often read ridiculously low (e.g. avg power at 55 watts for a hard ride). After 6 weeks of troubleshooting with Garmin, they sent me a brand new box. That second set often reads way too high, giving me power ratings that would put as a world class athlete (which I am not I can assure you :) ).

Do you use a torque wrench?

Yes and tried many different things with Garmin support.

viratelle

by viratelle

I have both and no issue. I loved the 1 so much I could not ride without it and got tired to move it from bike to bike. Bought the 2 but prefer the 1 as data have a longer time-lag with the 2...The main appeal of the Vector is obviously the Cycling Dynamics metrics.

jeffy

by jeffy

consider power tap p1. flawless.

racersir

by racersir

Vector S here for about a year with Zero issues. I have 3 Bikes so it made sense for me.

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

Been using my Vector2s left pod only for almost a year and not a single issue. I did change the original battery just recently and garmin 1000 was quick to notify me. Power readings has been stable and quite consistent. I do wonder if I am missing out on the extra features of using bilateral vector pods?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. It's always confusing when you only hear the bad stuff everywhere. Good to see the satisfied customers too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com