FLO launched 45mm, 60 and 90 carbon clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

http://www.flocycling.com/store_cc_front_wheels.php
~17 seconds faster than FLO 30 in 40k.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krackor

by Krackor

Flo45 wheelset weighing in at 1459g. A big improvement compared to their previous alu+carbon models. This actually compares favorably to some other competitors. Boyd does their 44mm clincher set at 1475g, Zipp 303 is 1625g. Bora One 50mm is 1485g. If their aero claims are accurate, then this could be a lot of performance for a low price.

No mention of braking performance on the carbon brake track though.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

nor if they are providing specific brake pads

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Krackor wrote:Flo45 wheelset weighing in at 1459g. A big improvement compared to their previous alu+carbon models. This actually compares favorably to some other competitors. Boyd does their 44mm clincher set at 1475g, Zipp 303 is 1625g. Bora One 50mm is 1485g. If their aero claims are accurate, then this could be a lot of performance for a low price.

Don't get your hopes up. These are going to be sold out just like FLO 30 in the first 2 years due to such high demand https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/06/05 ... in-the-flo
First batch will be available in April and you might be a lucky one if you happen to be in front of computer and click on "buy" before others get to it. Very much similar shopping experience as "Black Friday" deals online. Again, this just speculation based on previous sales of FLO 30. Let's hope for better inventory when FLO 45 become available for ~$1200.

Thumbs up for launching FLO 45 and providing Aero Data across all wheels they sell.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

mpulsiv wrote:
Krackor wrote:Flo45 wheelset weighing in at 1459g. A big improvement compared to their previous alu+carbon models. This actually compares favorably to some other competitors. Boyd does their 44mm clincher set at 1475g, Zipp 303 is 1625g. Bora One 50mm is 1485g. If their aero claims are accurate, then this could be a lot of performance for a low price.

Don't get your hopes up. These are going to be sold out just like FLO 30 in the first 2 years due to such high demand https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/06/05 ... in-the-flo
First batch will be available in April and you might be a lucky one if you happen to be in front of computer and click on "buy" before others get to it. Very much similar shopping experience as "Black Friday" deals online. Again, this just speculation based on previous sales of FLO 30. Let's hope for better inventory when FLO 45 become available for ~$1200.

Thumbs up for launching FLO 45 and providing Aero Data across all wheels they sell.

that's not their fault though, seems like a smart strategy to always selling out their wheels

im kinda mad i just bought a flo90 and the new flo90 carbon clincher weighs 200g less, but im not that mad. still good shape.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

mariovalentim wrote:nor if they are providing specific brake pads

They do have a proprietary brake pad. There is a thread on slowtwitch where there is a lot more information. They claim that braking is just as good as the aluminum rims, even in the wet. I would take that with a grain of salt though. Also a couple early reviews:
http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2 ... iew&page=4
http://aerogeeks.com/2016/03/01/flo-cyc ... irst-look/

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

everyone claims that 'braking is as good in the wet'. bollox.

not even a hater, i have a flo disc and flo 90 front.

Krackor

by Krackor

I was able to snag a set of Flo30 back in March '14. I think it took me one or two tries before I got the timing right. It's certainly not as convenient as having a shop with a stock of wheels sitting around waiting for someone to show up and buy them. However, if Flo's business model is contributing to their low prices I'm happy with the trade-off. In my view it's certainly better than other companies who offer a "pre-order" of an undisclosed number of units, to be delivered on an undisclosed day, and to be delayed an arbitrary number of days without notice or refund. At least when you make it through Flo's order process you get what you paid for on roughly the date it was promised, without any runaround or false promises.

I might just be bitter about my pending Etap and Wahoo ELEMNT pre-orders.

53x12

by 53x12

I think the best bang for the buck aero wheels just got better. Very impressive.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

^ Seriously.

They're also answering questions over on Slowtwitch.

They're planning on releasing a report on the brake track as well as what sounds like a pretty comprehensive tire study :thumbup:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Oof, and I just sprung for a set of Reynolds...

I'm not familiar with these wheels. What exactly is their business model? How are they hitting these price points? Their About page indicates that they own their molds and the wheels are produced in Taiwan.

Krackor

by Krackor

Their claim is that they save money by selling direct to consumer instead of through shops and distributors. They seem like level-headed engineers and their aero design for their previous models has withstood scrutiny by the triathlon crowd.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

What is the advantage over Farsports?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Lelandjt wrote:What is the advantage over Farsports?

They do aero testing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

junchen

by junchen

Lelandjt wrote:What is the advantage over Farsports?

I'm guessing resale value. Used flo wheels vs used far sports...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk