Which Cockpit - Deda, 3T or Other?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Marin wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the came dead last in stiffness/weight per Dollar.

...yet if you're smart you can get an ENVE stem for about 1/4th the retail cost...
...and if you're still smarter, you'll find the body itself is very, very light and the weight is mostly in the faceplate...
...and if you choose to integrate that with your favorite handlebar, you're basically using a 70g stem with decent stiffness compared to the other 'full carbon' stems.

:wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Please educate me on this 1/4 retail cost and lightweight faceplate options?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin wrote:
mimason wrote:but ENVE stems are brilliant stiffness to weight

No they're not, they're mid field and pretty heavy, see http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... em-review/

Umm nah dude, you need to reread those results. In that test the Enve stem came 4th out of 25 in the STW category, and was ultimately stiffer than all three stems that beat it in STW (Extralite, Extralite and MCFK). I would hardly call that midfield.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

topflightpro wrote:Please educate me on this 1/4 retail cost and lightweight faceplate options?

Can't reveal the 1/4th cost thing... gotta keep a promise to someone. But hey, retail isn't always the going cost either if you ask around.
The faceplate of the ENVE stem is the heavy bit. Example: 90mm stem ~120g. The body is only 72g for reference, no bolts.
If you have this integrated with a handlebar (ie, carbon bonded together), you'll gain about 10-15g on the bonding.

So... 72g+15g+200g aero handlebar = 287g integrated aero with a stiff stem.
That's pretty darn good.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mimason

by mimason

Marin wrote:
mimason wrote:but ENVE stems are brilliant stiffness to weight

No they're not, they're mid field and pretty heavy, see http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... em-review/

Not sure you even read the review. 2nd best stw and only 4mm deflection at 120 grams. Enve is a good option as they offer bar stem and post.

A full carbon stem with the 2nd highest stiffness to weight ratio of all tested stems. Not only that, the ENVE Carbon stem is good looking and available in a full range of sizes. Full carbon construction should provide additional vibration damping over alloy stems. Textured face plate adds to it’s ability to hold a bar in place with lower torque which reduces the chance of damaging a lightweight carbon bar. Includes ti bolts but is a bit more expensive than alloy counterparts.

Manufacturer: Enve
Model: Carbon
Stack Height: 41mm
Avg: Def: 4 mm
Weight: 120.1 gr.
SxW: 2.07
Material: Carbon Fiber
Bolt Material: Titanium
Angle: 6 degree
Price: $265

Marin

by Marin

I wasn't right, it's actually 4th in stiffness to weight (2.07) with the 3 top contenders from Extralite (2.25, 2.29) and MCFK (2.39) leading with quite some margin.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

markgoldstein wrote:Hi,

I'm looking to change the all-aluminium cockpit on my SuperSix EVO HM Sram Red - image of stock bike here: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/i ... 60-540.jpg

The Cannondale bars, stem and seatpost currently weigh-in at around 640g.

The Deda alternative (Superleggera bars, Superleggero RS seatpost, Superleggero stem) comes in at 455g and costs £270.
The 3T alternative (Ergosum Team bars, Stylus 25 seatpost, ARX II stem) comes in at 510g and costs £250.

I was going to plump for Deda, but have read some pretty negative feedback here. Any other similar alternatives that I should consider?

Ritchey Superlogic handlebar and stem. Great shape of handlebar (it's really possible to get a nice fit with this one) and the stem is really nice.
I have about 14 stems at home and i am not really going by the test numbers all in.
Extralite stem is not stiff (i think it's due to it's low weight)! As mentioned, it's light, but if you want a stiff stem that is cheap you could look at 3T. The 3T bars however, is not stiff if you don't go for pro line. Team is good, but ltd line has had some complaints (a bit too soft).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I agree to just go with the aluminum stem version of your chosen brand. Cheaper and often lighter too than CF. I don't mind mixing and matching so the FSA OS-99 is my first choice. Not the carbon wrapped one, the straight aluminum one. I keep buying the prior version with the old graphics. They are down to about $25 now on ebay. Weight is less than 120 g even for 120 mm length.
Robert

mimason

by mimason

Marin wrote:I wasn't right, it's actually 4th in stiffness to weight (2.07) with the 3 top contenders from Extralite (2.25, 2.29) and MCFK (2.39) leading with quite some margin.

Extralight stems are aluminum and not as stiff as well as pose a risk to slipping. Enve is the 2nd best all carbon stw and is a safe option. I would also be concerned about MCFK slipping based on torque specs of the faceplate at 3nm.....but its your neck not mine.

The OP indicated he wanted to change out an all alu cockpit so one could assume a carbon stem as well. As mentioned though the best thing would be to choose the bars on fit then go from there.

Marin

by Marin

It's not my neck since I ride cheap-ass 20$ Uno stems @ 105g with undefined stiffness on 3 bikes . Definitely stiff enough for my application though, and with labels removed they match -perfectly- with all kinds of components :D

skiezo

by skiezo

I go for bar shape/bend type so for that I would have to say either Zipp or Pro Vibe. I have a set of each on on my bikes and I like both.
I have tried other bars and I keep going back to these two.
The thing I do not like about the 3t stem is the way the front plate is stamped. I have a hard time lining up the center mark on the bar to CL of the stem due to the front plate letters. Just me being anal i guess.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Deda Supperleggero bars, Supperleggero stem and Supperleggero RS seatpost, but I'm not sure that the 12mm layback of the seatpost will be enough - here's a picture of the current 25mm layback seatpost (attached).

IMG_20160308_165238.jpg

BRM

by BRM

I have seen more then once negative comments on the Superleggera bars which were too flexi and had also crushing problems caused by the stem. Search on this forum and google on reviews.

The stem has 2 little frontplates which is imo a wrong design which causes unnecessary pressurespots on bars.

So on what base do you decide to want these bars-stem-seatpost combo. Just from the folder or do you really know its the right material and FIT for you? Have you seen the items in real did you test them if the shape fits you?

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

I went with a Ritchey seatpost (150g) and Deda bars/stem in the end...