Which Cockpit - Deda, 3T or Other?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Hi,

I'm looking to change the all-aluminium cockpit on my SuperSix EVO HM Sram Red - image of stock bike here: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/i ... 60-540.jpg

The Cannondale bars, stem and seatpost currently weigh-in at around 640g.

The Deda alternative (Superleggera bars, Superleggero RS seatpost, Superleggero stem) comes in at 455g and costs £270.
The 3T alternative (Ergosum Team bars, Stylus 25 seatpost, ARX II stem) comes in at 510g and costs £250.

I was going to plump for Deda, but have read some pretty negative feedback here. Any other similar alternatives that I should consider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Help us help you.

Do you have a budget?
Do you have limitations on how you purchase things?

Is having the same brand that important to you?
Yes: you're severely limiting yourself.
No: good, they aren't paying you to advertise for them anyway and you don't work for them (otherwise you would already be promoting them).

What are you concerns?
Weight: mix & match pieces per your budget. Research options here on WW, Google, etc:. Look up verified weights on individual components.
Aesthetics: your choice.
Aero: Aerohandlebars will help reduce watts lost to air resistance (ie, you can potentially go faster with the same expenditure of energy)
Comfort: that's up to you. Traditional? Compact? Ergo? Degree of stem?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

In answer to your questions...

Budget?
£300 max for all three parts.

Do you have limitations on how you purchase things?
No.

Is having the same brand that important to you?
Yes.

Aesthetics - needs to match the rest of the bike.

Compact, shallow drop bars. Not aero.

6 degree stem.

wingguy

by wingguy

3T Team red matches the rest of the bike well, the handlebar's nice, the seatposts are kinda clunky and the stem is a wash with the already very light OE 'dale stem.
I have the same bike and I went full 3T, but partly that's because I got the seatpost free from a friend. Buying the whole thing I'd go 3T bar, Ritchey Superlogic post* because it's sleeker, comfier and much lighter in real world weights and either leave the 'dale stem on there or get a matching ARX team if needed to change the stem for length anyway.

* (I don't see any aesthetic problem with mismatching seatposts with cockpits)

kgt

by kgt

markgoldstein wrote:Is having the same brand that important to you?
Yes.
Aesthetics - needs to match the rest of the bike.

Amen

mimason

by mimason

I don't know what the cost is in £ but ENVE stems are brilliant stiffness to weight and comes in 6 degrees. The bars also seem to meet your needs... the drops flair out so a 42cm on the hoods becomes 44 in the drops. I think the reach is 79 iirc.

ENVE and Deda stems have a lot of similarities. Seatpost option also exists.

3T and Deda would be on my list to review as well.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

Love my deda Superleggero stem and seatpost, what kind of negative feedback have you heard?

The only thing that I've read that I haven't tested to see if it's true, but I don't disagree is the fact that Italian manufacturers seems to give lower than the actual weight of their parts.

MartijnE

by MartijnE

Zipp Service Course SL beyond black would complement your bike quite nicely I guess. Excellent components. Stiff stem and bars (sl80 has a nice compact shape) and very well made. If you can stretch your budget go with the carbon seatpost. Just my two cents.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

I pick bars first because bend/reach to me is more important than matchy matchy or light weight. I have 3T stealth bars, a Deda superleggera stem, and a Colnago seatpost. The bars and stem actually match nicely as both are light on graphics which is what I wanted. The seatpost came with the frame and I might swap it some day.

BRM

by BRM

Make a shortlist with the best matching bars for your personal use at top.
And no thats not about Aesthetics, weight, price or matching other components but FIT.

There you should start . . . .
Last edited by BRM on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

pick your bar and match the rest to suit. i pick deda.

VTBike

by VTBike

My vote goes to Deda. Their superleggero/leggera line is pretty sweet. Been using the stem in 140 for about 7 months - i'm 200 lbs, and the thing is rock solid, and beautiful. Seatpost is also top notch. Can't speak for the superleggero bars - I don't think its improbable to say that the handful of people who had trouble with them were torquing improperly.

I definitely think Deda gets the nod on style, and weight is really competitive. Price can't be beat either.

CBJ

by CBJ

I would think you would take off the decals with acetone on if the stem fits. Most likely the same weight as what else you will find.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

If you stick with an aluminum stem, you can put a lot more money into the bars and post. You won't be sacrificing many, if any, grams going with a nicer aluminum stem.

The Ritchey C260 line is actually pretty light. My 120 weighed in at 115g.

Fairwheel also lists a plain black Kalloy stem that comes in pretty light.

As for acetone, some aluminum stems have laser etched graphics that cannot be removed.

Marin

by Marin

mimason wrote:but ENVE stems are brilliant stiffness to weight

No they're not, they're mid field and pretty heavy, see http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... em-review/

I wouldn't be surprised if the came dead last in stiffness/weight per Dollar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com