Trek Madone 9 Series Power Meter Options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StevenInOz

by StevenInOz

Hi There,

Have any Madone 9 Series owners had any success with crank-based power meters? Which ones?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steven

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

albertop07

by albertop07

StevenInOz wrote:Hi There,

Have any Madone 9 Series owners had any success with crank-based power meters? Which ones?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steven

I use Stages. No issues.

StevenInOz

by StevenInOz

I use Stages. No issues.

That's interesting, because the guys at the LBS are saying that it wouldn't work without shaving the casing...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

StevenInOz wrote:
I use Stages. No issues.

That's interesting, because the guys at the LBS are saying that it wouldn't work without shaving the casing...

Check with stages, but I thought v2 was made thinner then v1..??
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

StevenInOz wrote:
I use Stages. No issues.

The Madone 7 series frames might have had that issue due to the bb mounted brake, but I don't see it being an issue with the 9 series frames (traditional-ish brake). The stages should work no problem.

Any Shimano or SRAM GXP style crank based power meter should work as well (SRM, Quarq). Check the power2max frame dimension requirements but they also have a pretty good guide as to which power meters are compatible with Treks BB90 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenInOz

by StevenInOz

hornedfrog wrote:
StevenInOz wrote:
I use Stages. No issues.

The Madone 7 series frames might have had that issue due to the bb mounted brake, but I don't see it being an issue with the 9 series frames (traditional-ish brake). The stages should work no problem.

Any Shimano or SRAM GXP style crank based power meter should work as well (SRM, Quarq). Check the power2max frame dimension requirements but they also have a pretty good guide as to which power meters are compatible with Treks BB90 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that hornedfrog.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

hornedfrog wrote:The Madone 7 series frames might have had that issue due to the bb mounted brake, but I don't see it being an issue with the 9 series frames (traditional-ish brake). The stages should work no problem...

Agreed. Here's my Madone 7.9 with Stages. This is FSA MegaExo cranks. Stages v1 power meter.

With Shimano cranks, there is a 1mm shim workaround that my shop uses. No problems, but it is no longer set up to Shimano spec.

As hornedfrog states, the brakes are not an issue on the 9 series.

I guess Trek found the reasons for putting the brake under the BB (more aero, better choice in how to mold seat-stays) didn't really matter. :noidea:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There are a couple of workarounds for the older Madone's w/ the brake under the BB. On the 5-series, you can run the Bontrager brake, which has enough clearance for the Stages PM. This isn't an option on the 6 & 7 series frames, based on their layout. However, one thing that will work is going with some sort of centerpull brake, like the TriRig Omega, which doesn't use a pivot lever like the Shimano or Bontrager brakes.

stang1

by stang1

I too have been looking at power meter options for the madone

Comes down to

P2M ( Campag p2m with trek bb90 campag sleeve "OR" Rotor3d24 P2M with bb90 shimano bearings with spacers if required )

Quarq ( GXP only )

Pedal based PM.

Such is the tough life of bb90.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

stang1 wrote:....Such is the tough life of bb90.
None of the power meters I'm aware of use the bearing or BB as part of the system, so why does the Madone limit anyone's options in any way? :noidea:

stang1

by stang1

BikeAnon wrote:
stang1 wrote:....Such is the tough life of bb90.
None of the power meters I'm aware of use the bearing or BB as part of the system, so why does the Madone limit anyone's options in any way? :noidea:

BB90 doesnt take spindles other than 24mm as far as I am aware, that rules out the newer 30mm spindles like ROTOR 3D+, 386 Crank arms etc. ( you get the gist ), thus limiting users to 24mm spindles such as GXP, Shimano, Campag etc.

Power meters for SHIMANO based crank = SRM. ( I am currently unaware of tolerances for stages on the madone 9, but big no no to madone 7 )
Power meters for SRAM based crank = RIKEN, ELSA, ELSA RS , S900, Cinqo, but only in GXP (24mm) diameter, not thier newer bb30 models.
Power meter for Campagnolo crank = Power2Max or SRM , all which offers 24mm in UltraTorque setting
Power meter for Rotor based Crank = Power2Max only for BB90, thier specific 3D24 model. Models like InPower, 3D30, or thier UBB setting doesnt apply for bb90 as it just simply doesnt fit.
Power meter for FSA crank based = SRM/P2M , 24mm spindle with FSA BB if there is one for bb90.

And yes, there is pedal based systems but you get the gist, BB90 is quite restrictive for crank based power meters compared to other competitors, for example, Specialized/Cervelo(bbright) can take almost every single power meter available on the market's offering.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

stang1 wrote:....BB90 doesn't take spindles other than 24mm as far as I am aware, that rules out the newer 30mm spindles ...

Thanks! That's useful info I hadn't considered.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I think the only powermeter options that would not work with BB90 would be 30mm spindle cranks, but are there any 30mm spindle powermeter cranks out there that don't have a 24mm version?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stang1

by stang1

Calnago wrote:Yes, I think the only powermeter options that would not work with BB90 would be 30mm spindle cranks, but are there any 30mm spindle powermeter cranks out there that don't have a 24mm version?

I was coming from a $ perspective.. :wink:

If you had a 4K budget for a power meter, any SRM would easily have a 24mm spindle :lol: But for those hunting around the market /evilbay , i see probably 1/100 in 24mm / GXP spindle and the rest on special / for sale in 30mm spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ah yes, ok... I see where you're coming from so now it makes more sense, or I just didn't read carefully enough the first time.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ