Remove guts from Super Record brifters?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lynton

by lynton

Valbrona wrote:Illogical project. Also, use of the word 'brifters' gives insight to the flawed thinking process of the OP. No one says 'brifters'.

Thank god for that. I hate that as it is entirely superfluous, they are shifters or levers. Yes they have 2 roles but most do so why do we have to specify that they have 2 roles? Sure you can get brake levers only for TT bikes etc but what is wrong with them just being called brake levers.

Long before STI and ergo power we had brake levers and gear levers, not brevers and grevers.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i've removed the guts on record 10 shifters, when i converted to a fixed gear. save plenty of weight, like above poster says, but you never know when you want to go back to shifting. so i would advise against it and use other brake levers instead. you can get plenty of alloy ones cheap and they don't weigh that much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biki

by biki

I went ahead with the project. After removing the shifter mechanism, paddles, bearings, the levers each weigh 99.0g without handlebar clamps.

I've not added any fill behind the holes yet. In fact, I don't think it's going to be necessary, but I may get to it someday.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The old record carbon brake levers are 210g for a pair. Not sure how much weight can be saved with tuning but the btp clamps dont exist any more.
That is s shame.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

bm0p700f wrote:The old record carbon brake levers are 210g for a pair. Not sure how much weight can be saved with tuning but the btp clamps dont exist any more.
That is s shame.

My Modolo Kronos are 140 g for the pair :D
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM