DT Swiss rear hub 190 10/11 speed freehub query

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tristan

by Tristan

hjb1000 wrote:I have checked out the tech docs of the 190 series 10-speed and 8,9,10 versions, and it confirms that the hubshell is indeed different! Note the tech diagram indicates a 2mm difference in the flange-distance.

They're not different - just offset by 2mm to one side.

hjb1000 wrote:So the question becomes, is there a special left end cap I can buy that makes it 2mm less to be compatible with 11-speed? Given the fact this hub is well and truly superseded, I suspect the answer will be a resounding 'no'.

Are you sure you have your hubs the correct way around in your photo? See the exploded diagram for the 8/9/10 speed hub - part #3 is a 2mm spacer. If you had your hubs mixed up that 2mm would be the source of your problems.

Also if you compare the parts diagrams you'll see that the hubs have the same NDS endcap but different axles.

10 SPEED ONLY:

8,9 & 10 SPEED:
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Thanks for your thoughts Tristan- most appreciated!

I have disassembled the NDS bearing, but found no 2mm spacer.
This 10-speed hub as you correctly point out, has the same flange distance that is offset 2mm to the right.
However the actual aluminium shell as measured is 2mm wider than the standard hub. The question is why did they make it like this? The answer I suspect is that is was designed specifically to better mate with the stepped splined freehub for 7800.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Having just dealt with my own 190, I can answer your question now. If you take the axle out of the older hub, you will find the measurements from the end of the drive side to the first bearing seat the same on both axles. The difference comes next on the measurement between the area where the two bearings are seated when installed on the axle. On the older hub it should be 44mm. On he newer hub and all 240 hubs it is 42mm. The distance on newer hubs is longer from the non-drive side bearing seat to the end of the axle. I just finished playing the axle swap out game and figured this out. So the reason yours are off is someone put a new axle for 240s in your old hub shell. The bearings are seated 2mm too far inboard on the non-drive side. Again, the space between bearings on the old hub should be 44mm. Yours are at 42 with the new axle in. The simple fix is to put a 2mm bearing spacer inboard of the non-drive bearing so it is spaced back to 44mm as it should be. Luckily the drive side is the same distance, so shifting isn't affected the way it is. I spent a whole weekend trying to figure this puzzle out on my hubs.