Campy 11-29 cassette not compatible with EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Below is an excerpt from the Campy Compatibility manual on their site. I was surprised to know that the 11/29 cassette is not compatible with the EPS drivetrain. Has anyone experienced issues with this setup?

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... _09_15.pdf

2 - SPROCKETS COMPATIBILITY
WARNING!
For complete functionality of the EPS system the dimensions of the compatible chainrings or sprockets cannot be chan- ged.
11S SPROCKETS
11-23

11-25
11-27
12-25
12-27
12-29
Important – compatibility note: the 11-29 sprocket pack is not compatible with the EPS groupsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Wow, given the cost of those expensive Campy cassettes I'm very relieved I ordered 12-29 and not 11-29 with my upcoming SR EPS V3 setup. Had no idea!
Seems it has something to do with the difference between smallest and largest cog then. Thanks for the info.

markyboy

by markyboy

Used my 11/29 in the alps last year worked a treat
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

bdb

by bdb

Same - I have 11-29 on mine and no Issues

EPS V2

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

cool -- good to know as i intend to do the same.

markyboy

by markyboy

Just wondering why they say it wont work,if the eps will go to 29 on 12/29 why would it not go on 11/29 :noidea: don't make sense to me.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

markyboy wrote:Just wondering why they say it wont work,if the eps will go to 29 on 12/29 why would it not go on 11/29 :noidea: don't make sense to me.

i think a lot of factors come into play, i.e., chainring combo, chainstay length, RD hanger length, etc.

that said, it may work for some and not for others (hence the general disclaimer that "it will not work"). using non-campy cranks/chainrings may further complicate the issue.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Eps v2, no problems with 11-29 at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It would definitely be good to know "why" they say it isn't compatible with eps. That way, it would be easier to check out to see if it actually applies to your own situation or not. Have not tried it myself.
I tend to heed these types of statements unless I am very aware of the pitfalls of doing it differently and am sure that whatever departure I take will not be an issue, but it's always on a case by case basis. Nothing worse than when something blows up when you least expect it and leaves you saying "Aahhh, I get it now, so that's why they say it's not compatible". How much is a new EPS rear derailleur anyway.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Even the tech manual "allows" 11-29.

Weird.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mattr wrote:Even the tech manual "allows" 11-29.

Weird.

Does it? Can't see any mention of it on their site.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Maybe it's been a "silent update" and they forgot to change at the web?
Or,... maybe they claim it will not work because it might not work with all frames/ wheels?
I mean, they go for the safe route instead of having clients getting mad because it will not work with their specific frame/ wheel combo!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

The reason is that EPS mechs have the same geometry as the previous generation 11 speed mechs. While they may shift an 11-29, the shifting is not optimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@ultimobici: Interesting, thanks. But do you you know specifically what it is that is suboptimal? I would like to test it out and look for it; do kind of a comparison if you will.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Calnago wrote:@ultimobici: Interesting, thanks. But do you you know specifically what it is that is suboptimal? I would like to test it out and look for it; do kind of a comparison if you will.

From experience of running 11-29 with 52/36 and 52/34 I think it is simply that in order to clear the 29 one needs to adjust the "H" screw to such a point that the mech sits too low at the opposite end of the cassette. So shifting in the 11-12-13 suffers in quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com