Bottle cage bolt stuck in frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tnkn

by tnkn

Amateur hour ahead!

I've been very silly and over tightened a bottle cage bolt on my Workswell frame. I knew I should have loosened up but carried on.

The bolt is now stuck in the nut which has come loose so there is no way I can get the bolt out.

Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/D-_g42VuP5U

What do you guys suggest? I take it I can get a new fitting put in. Who would I go to? I'm in the UK so would need to be done here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AJS914

by AJS914

The fitting is called a rivnut.

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+b ... 8&oe=utf-8

Any competent bike shop should be able to replace it for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

F*riggin rivnuts. Depending upon how stuck the bolt is, you may be able to slide a large flathead screwdriver under the bolt and use torque to create enough side load on the rivnut to allow you to back the bolt out. Once it is out, you can either try to re-set the rivnut (you don't need a tool, you can just use a hub with a socket as a spacer to 'pull' the rivnut tight again). The other alternative is to just cut-off the bolthead, drill it out and pull a new rivnut (make sure you use a ribbed one, not a smooth one).

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I drilled out 3 bolts that got stuck in an old frame. Was a bit nerve-wracking, but got there in the end!
The bolts were light but soft alu and I'd rounded the allen key slots doing a terrible job of installing them a couple of years ago.

audiwithbmc

by audiwithbmc

Drill it out or take it to reputable shop