Please help! BMC TMR01 or Argon 18 Nitrogen?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which aero bike:

BMC TMR01
67%
Argon 18 Nitrogen
33%

Total votes: 46

MaxSpeed

by MaxSpeed

MC356 wrote:
I have done a few 4 hour rides, no more discomfort that a "normal" carbon bike. I have 25mm gp4000 ii on it right now and there isnt much more for anything else, I ride a 49, but maybe a bigger frame could do bigger tires...not sure about widest wheel width, I have the Eastons on it now 22mm wide i believe, and it could fit wider, but dont quote me on that!
Hope this helps!

Sure does, thanks bro! appreciate the info!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

superdx wrote:The Nitrogen in XS/S sizes looks really squished. The article below has a pic and it seems for the frame to look normal, it needs to be a medium size. Not sure if aesthetics fit much into your consideration.

http://www.roadiemanila.com/2015/09/rev ... rogen.html

the xs looks great. That bearing cover spacer does not.

MaxSpeed

by MaxSpeed

Does anyone happen to know if the TMR01 will accept a compact crankset (50/34)?

MC356

by MC356

MaxSpeed wrote:Does anyone happen to know if the TMR01 will accept a compact crankset (50/34)?

I dont see why not, the TMR02 comes with compact, but with 52x36...
BMC TMR01
Niner Air 9 RDO

MaxSpeed

by MaxSpeed

I'm leaning towards the TMR just gotta confirm it'll fit me!
Last edited by MaxSpeed on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chirobike

by Chirobike

Here's mine. I don't think it's too stiff. I do agree that in this size the front brake is a PITA, I've never gotten it where I am satisfied. It's the short cable run and drag. Just not anywhere near the smoothness of conventional brakes, hydraulics or even new aero frame cable routing. In a small size the TT doesn't rise that much so it's almost level. I'm not sure why BMC came out with this rising TT design almost opposite of what the whole industry was doing. It doesn't do anything for geometry except make your seat post look shorter (which I hate). Otherwise, I think in today's money it is still a great deal on an aero frame and you won't see many around. The swiss quality of their carbon mould is top notch. There just is a quality difference when compared to other naked carbon frames finish. I'm sure it's still a Taiwan produced frame but the quality finish is superior to many. Plenty of room for large water bottles. Plenty of seat post adjustment. Cable routing is straight forward for the rear brake. Brake modulation is okay--nothing to write about. It stops and that's about it.

MaxSpeed

by MaxSpeed

Chirobike wrote:Here's mine. I don't think it's too stiff. I do agree that in this size the front brake is a PITA, I've never gotten it where I am satisfied. It's the short cable run and drag. Just not anywhere near the smoothness of conventional brakes, hydraulics or even new aero frame cable routing. In a small size the TT doesn't rise that much so it's almost level. I'm not sure why BMC came out with this rising TT design almost opposite of what the whole industry was doing. It doesn't do anything for geometry except make your seat post look shorter (which I hate). Otherwise, I think in today's money it is still a great deal on an aero frame and you won't see many around. The swiss quality of their carbon mould is top notch. There just is a quality difference when compared to other naked carbon frames finish. I'm sure it's still a Taiwan produced frame but the quality finish is superior to many. Plenty of room for large water bottles. Plenty of seat post adjustment. Cable routing is straight forward for the rear brake. Brake modulation is okay--nothing to write about. It stops and that's about it.

Appreciate your insight, the pic didn't link right. I'm about 5'2" - 5'3", do you think a 48cm will work for me?

wingguy

by wingguy

nathanong87 wrote:the xs looks great. That bearing cover spacer does not.

Luckily you don't need to use it :wink:

But yeah I like the small Argon's as well. Since when did a short headtube not look pro? :P

KarlC

by KarlC

mr4fox wrote:I have a TMR01, but have never ridden the nitrogen so won't try to compare. Just sayin that my brakes have never been a pita. Nit quite as much modulation as Dura Ace callipers but you soon get used to it and they have loads of power.

The only time I've ever noticed the frame being uncomfortable is over cobbles or hard hits like holes in the road which I usually avoid. I don't race over cobbles so this doesn't bother me. 5-7hour rides are no problem on the TMR01. 99.99% of the time I cant tell a difference in comfort between the TMR01 and my old GF01 (which was made for cobbles!). I believe wheels and tyres are responsible for 90% of the comfort of a bike.

Just sayin

I also have a TMR01 and yes +1 to all of the above, especially on the wheels, tires and seat I might add for comfort of a bike, this has been proven many times.

stormur wrote: Brakes : so you are first and (possibly) only one :) Or you never change wheelsets. Anyway to DA9000 brakes ( holy graal of brakes, and I'm known for not being Shimano fanboy ! ) bmc brakes has looong way . Power, modulation, ease of adjustmet. Not same ballpark. Not even same city.

Comfort - seriously ??? Really ??? I rode both. You MUST be kidding. Difference is like Mercedes E combi (GF) and BMW M3 ... to be gentle for M3 suspension .

And it's noticeable after 500m not 5 hours...

TMR is known for incredible stiffness and lack of comfort. Comfort is the last thing which you can say about this frame.

Brakes - I do not ever change out from my ZIP 404 wheels, but I could see if you do change wheels a lot it is a bit of added work with the TMR01 so then you might want to go with the TMR02. As far as the Brakes themselves once you get them set up they work great and there are no real issues, unless maybe you are real fussy.

Comfort - Addressed above, but this can really be and endless topic with so many opinions.

Skunkworks wrote:I had TMR01 with C35 9000 tu.
I 100% agree with mr4fox. He stated everything that I want to say.
+ TMR01 would be a classic of aero frames
It just my opinion;)

r_mutt wrote:the BMC on looks alone!

Looks - I get so many compliments on my TMR01, its an added reason I smile with every ride.

MC356 wrote:I have done a few 4 hour rides, no more discomfort that a "normal" carbon bike. I have 25mm gp4000 ii on it right now and there isnt much more for anything else, I ride a 49, but maybe a bigger frame could do bigger tires...not sure about widest wheel width, I have the Eastons on it now 22mm wide i believe, and it could fit wider, but dont quote me on that!
Hope this helps!

Wheels / Tires - I'm on ZIPP Firecrest 404 and Continental 4000 25mm tubular tires. There is room to go with a wider set up but not much taller.

MaxSpeed wrote:Does anyone happen to know if the TMR01 will accept a compact crankset (50/34)?

Last year I bought a Dealer demo TMR01 Ultegra Di2 with a Compact crank for $2000 - So yes to a compact crank and there are good deals to be found. The below is an example .......

https://www.racycles.com/road/bmc/bmc-t ... t-bike-732

Here are some crappy photos of mine ........

When I got it .....

As is now .....

Last edited by KarlC on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

ANV

by ANV

I think the main thing to consider while deciding between the Argon and the BMC is the BB drop. The Argon has a 75mm BB drop whilst the BMC only has 69mm.

Here is a good read on BB drop http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/01/anachronistic/

MaxSpeed

by MaxSpeed

Thanks for everyone comments, all this info really helps me out! Sweet looking bike KarlC!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

2k for ultegra di2 on a tmr01 is a smoking deal. holy moly.

i briefly was looking at a tmr02 with mechanical ultegra for 2k

KarlC

by KarlC

nathanong87 wrote:2k for ultegra di2 on a tmr01 is a smoking deal. holy moly.

i briefly was looking at a tmr02 with mechanical ultegra for 2k

It was a Dealer demo with a few scratches, I sold off the wheels, seat and other parts, then swapped over my parts. In the end I am VERY happy with the deal and the bike. You don't see many of these around, I get guys asking me ... Is that a TT bike you put Road bars on ? It being unique is part of the plus, its style puts a smile on my face every time I look at it and it stays there all during the ride.

Looks like the TMR01 is wining the Pole as it should be.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

KarlC

by KarlC

MaxSpeed wrote: That is a sweet looking bike! Is a long distance ride comfortable enough, or even doable... would you say? Also, does it clear 25mm tires and do you know the widest width wheel it could clear?

I just put a set of Zipp Tangente SLSpeed 27C Tubular tires on my BMC TMR01 and it looks like you your could fit a 28 if you wanted.

These are great tires by the way, I would highly recommend you try them .......

When its time to buy new Tires, like most things, we often do research on what our options are. When doing this I came across a tire review by the well respected Tom Anhalt on his site Blather 'bout Bikes, here is the link.....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2014/09 ... e-and.html

Wanting more Speed and Comfort I decided to give the Zipp Tangente SLSpeed 27C Tubular a try. After a long ride yesterday I can say I'm very happy I did, these are the best tires I have ever used and an added plus at a $70 price. I love to talk about how much faster they are, but its hard to say how much of that is in my mind, they sure feel fast. I can say for sure that even at a high PSI they are VERY comfortable, they definitely smoothed out the crap roads I ride on. I have already ordered another 1 just in case I get a large gash in 1 or them.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Omg... So glad I used the search button. I'm waiting for my LBS to pull in a TMR02 in 48cm for me to test ride. It's not the Di2 version... But it's ok... As I'll save up for eTap later on. I was also eyeing the Nitogen, but none are me to test ride.. Plus BMC looks so much more sexier, even wifey approves... [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk