Advice on pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lynton

by lynton

I am after a new set of pedals and need some user experience to help guide me.

I currently have a set of Look Keo's that are about 4 years old and a set of Shimano Ultegra's that are a few years old.

I do like the Shimano's in the way they work in entry and exit but they have developed an annoying click in the left pedal.

The Looks are ok but annoying to clip into at night because they don't hang rear down like the Shimano's.

So far I have found Look Keo Blades that seem to have increased in size but decreased in weight. Still concerned about entry on these as they don't appear to be weighted to hang rear down.

Another option is the Speedplay X2 Stainless road. Weight looks good, could get lighter in the Speedplay but then the cost gets crazy. I have never used Speedplay before so this is uncharted terrtory for me.

I have also seen the Time Xpresso 10, weight is ok but I would really appreciate some information on what they are like to use.

The big issue with me is I can not tolerate pedals/cleats that squeek or rattle as it drives me nuts.

So can anyone help me out before I spend a lot of money on something that ends up another paper weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Have you tried disassembling the Ultegra pedals and lubing the bearings?

lynton

by lynton

cobrakai wrote:Have you tried disassembling the Ultegra pedals and lubing the bearings?

I have, also replaced the cleats and still the noise remains.

Noise is not there wit the Look pedals fitted but they squeak with anything but a brand new cleat. I am thinking the new Keo blades may not do this but that is why I am after some user experience.

Marin

by Marin

I like the Xpressos, have 2 pairs. The do feel a bit flimsy but I'm ok with that and haven't had problems. Huge thread about them on here.

However, since I do a lot of mixed-surface longer distance riding, I've switched to SPDs (Ritchey and Xpedo Ti) on 2 bikes for shoe walkability and I'm much happier than with "road" systems where you can't walk more than 5m on the cleats.

kgt

by kgt

I am using the Keo blade 2 during the last months.Sometimes they squeal and usually they don't hang down properly (due to their light weight). Nevertheless they are much better than the older keos IME. Their platform is huge and the carbon blade provides a firm and secure lock (16NM in my case). It practically feels like these are an extension of your shoes.

I had Time in the past, loved their float and low weight but mine broke after a few hundred kms.

lynton

by lynton

kgt wrote:I am using the Keo blade 2 during the last months.Sometimes they squeal and usually they don't hang down properly (due to their light weight). Nevertheless they are much better than the older keos IME. Their platform is huge and the carbon blade provides a firm and secure lock (16NM in my case). It practically feels like these are an extension of your shoes.

I had Time in the past, loved their float and low weight but mine broke after a few hundred kms.

Thanks. I have read a few reviews where people have had Time pedals fracture on them, think I will give Time a miss.

mimason

by mimason

Are you absolutely sure you isolated the squeak to the pedal? It's hard to isolate squeaks sometimes as it could be BB, chain, skewers, d. hanger etc. . . are the pedal threads greased and torqued down enough? Funny enough that was a recent fix for a buddy...he thought it was a creaky bb but ended up being loose pedal. Are the threads on your cleats properly fastened and greased?

If you have isolated and seem to always get squeaks from any pedal, try some lip balm like carmex on the pedal interface and the cleats.

End of the day don't change a platform you like unless you really want to change. I recently resolved a pedal squeak(right pedal - this is the side I clip/unclip) by disassembling and regreasing...but these pedals are 4 years old and around 30k miles with butter smooth bearings still. Shimano pedals are by and large problem free and robust.

BTW, do you unclip on your left side?

Rick

by Rick

If you can't stand noise, stay away from LOOK.

Speedplay are really pretty good overall, and probably the easiest to clip into. But at the expense of having to carefully set up the cleats. Replacement cleats are a little expensive, and some people get lateral rocking as the pedal body wears. I was a long-time speedplay user and still think they are pretty good. I often think about going back to them when I miss an entry on a hill using my Shimanos. The cleat setup is not rocket-science, but when speedplay says to check the shimming to make sure it is flat, they mean FLAT!!! DEAD NUTS FLAT !!!

But I have switched to Shimano because of the virtually complete zero maintenance and rock-solidity at the expense of slightly higher weight and one-sided entry. I have Dura-Ace, Ultegra, and 105, and none of them have ever given the slightest trouble or made a peep of sound. If yours are clicking, try completely spraying out the bearings with a solvent and then repacking with grease.....or replace the bearings.

I have no experience with Time.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The Shimano spd-sl design, such as your Ultegra pedals, are widely held to be the best option when looking for a solid, quiet and durable pedal setup. That's not to say they don't ever have any issues, as you have found.

cdtf

by cdtf

I use Time ATAC.

I hate road pedals with passion. Sure, it's a bit lighter. But with an MTB system, I can walk easily, I can clip with both sides, and it's far easier to clip in/out. Plus the cleats are metal, and long lasting.

I went with Time because the pair was 240g, a tad lighter than XTR.

lynton

by lynton

mimason wrote:Are you absolutely sure you isolated the squeak to the pedal? It's hard to isolate squeaks sometimes as it could be BB, chain, skewers, d. hanger etc. . . are the pedal threads greased and torqued down enough? Funny enough that was a recent fix for a buddy...he thought it was a creaky bb but ended up being loose pedal. Are the threads on your cleats properly fastened and greased?

If you have isolated and seem to always get squeaks from any pedal, try some lip balm like carmex on the pedal interface and the cleats.

End of the day don't change a platform you like unless you really want to change. I recently resolved a pedal squeak(right pedal - this is the side I clip/unclip) by disassembling and regreasing...but these pedals are 4 years old and around 30k miles with butter smooth bearings still. Shimano pedals are by and large problem free and robust.

BTW, do you unclip on your left side?

The bike has just had a rebuild with new wheels (Mavic Ksyrium SLS) and a Campagnolo Record 11 groupset. All threads were preped and greased etc. The pedals are the only original parts and it is the same noise I had before the rebuild.

Derf

by Derf

I've had a similar sound and it's driven me absolutely nuts--and wasn't going away with a disassemble/repack. Simply put, the outer seal was not getting any love and would tick in perfect synchrony to the top of my pedal stroke. Solution is to put a drop of chain lube on the outer seal, especially after it gets washed away in the rain.

I really hope you find a solution

AJS914

by AJS914

I love Time pedals. I will never switch. They way they float and pivot feels great to me. I've tried Look in the past and always ended up with squeeky cleats at some point.

nohands

by nohands

I have the Keo 2 Max and they also don't hang rear down. I also found that creaks could come from the contact between the cleat and the bottom of the shoe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PJCM

by PJCM

I switched to Keywin after using Look and Time (both RXS and iClic) for many years.

No squeaks, rattles, clicks or any noise at all. Key to that being that the cleat locks into the pedal body and the pedal body floats the around the spindle. The float has adjustable resistance or can be locked out entirely.

Engagement is pretty intuitive and requires little effort as there are no moving parts involved. Once in they are secure and stable (popular with track riders for this reason).

Aside from the functionality, the cleats are long lasting and easy to walk in, they're light and completely rebuildable.

They're not a known brand and not the most attractive looking system but worth checking out.