Advice on pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think there is a bad batch of Ultegra pedals out there. I have 6 sets of shimano pedals (2 DA, 4 ultegra) never had a problem until two sets of the ultegra's started clicking.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Geoff

by Geoff

I'd stick with Look. You'll get used to riding with them pretty quickly. Soon, you won't even need to think about it anymore.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

I prefer speedplay for the ease of engagement, just stomp and go. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket tuning options (spindles, butterflies) to get you down to 140g a pair for 1/2 the price of the standard ti's. Walking is also pretty easy with the new aero cleats.

junchen

by junchen

Wookski wrote:I prefer speedplay for the ease of engagement, just stomp and go. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket tuning options (spindles, butterflies) to get you down to 140g a pair for 1/2 the price of the standard ti's. Walking is also pretty easy with the new aero cleats.

Which basic speedplay would u recommend to get? One that can easily upgrade aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

junchen wrote:
Wookski wrote:I prefer speedplay for the ease of engagement, just stomp and go. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket tuning options (spindles, butterflies) to get you down to 140g a pair for 1/2 the price of the standard ti's. Walking is also pretty easy with the new aero cleats.

Which basic speedplay would u recommend to get? One that can easily upgrade aftermarket.

Start with the chromoly and Google "speedplay titanium spindles" you will find plenty of options. If you couldn't be bothered doing the work yourself there are sites that sell pre tuned pedals weighing in 20g lighter than the factory ti's for around $280 USD.

junchen

by junchen

Great info tks.

BRM

by BRM

junchen wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135750

:wink:

muntos

by muntos

What about Mavic (carbon) pedals ? Any experiences ?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

PJCM wrote:I switched to Keywin after using Look and Time (both RXS and iClic) for many years.

No squeaks, rattles, clicks or any noise at all. Key to that being that the cleat locks into the pedal body and the pedal body floats the around the spindle. The float has adjustable resistance or can be locked out entirely.

Engagement is pretty intuitive and requires little effort as there are no moving parts involved. Once in they are secure and stable (popular with track riders for this reason).

Aside from the functionality, the cleats are long lasting and easy to walk in, they're light and completely rebuildable.

They're not a known brand and not the most attractive looking system but worth checking out.

Keywin are a pretty good option too. I used them for a few years and I can attest that you won't get any noise out of them and I would rank them up with spd-sl as the best designs on the market. I only wish the Keywin would do a float option akin to the spd-sl blue cleat of 2 degrees. Six degrees is too much for me and fixed is too little these days.

audiwithbmc

by audiwithbmc

I personally recommend the Look carbon blades. I never have the a problem clipping in. In fact, the large platform makes a smooth and easy engagement.

junchen

by junchen

BRM wrote:
junchen wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135750

:wink:

Thanks BRM. Much appreciated.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I don't race, and like being able to get off the bike and walk somewhat normal. I use Shimano SPD XTR pedals on my road bike. With a stiff carbon soled shoe I don't feel like i'm giving any performance up and have benefits the other pedals don't offer.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

lynton

by lynton

Seems I need to apologise to my pedals.

The clicking has gone and the cause was not the pedals. I was on a long ride and the clicking disappeared about half way into it whilst I was on a 30 km climb. It was however replaced by a horrible rattle every time I got off the saddle. Everything was working fine on the bike, nice and quiet whilst seated and the rattle was only there when I got off the saddle.

I found the culprit, the shell of the saddle had snapped mid way between the rails and was therefore a lot more flexible than before. It was actually hitting on the top of the post clamp which explains the fact that the saddle felt somewhat hard.

Obviously the shell of the saddle has been cracked for a while which caused the clicking.

So I am looking for a replacement for the saddle but as a result of my looking for pedals I am considering giving speedplay a go.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Similar experience to others here. For years I rode Looks, and as the contact surfaces wore, the squeaking drove me nuts. It would go away by lubing the cleats (an easy differential diagnosis for squeaking) and with new cleat install, but it always came back with time. I loved the Looks, but hated the music (I grew up with Campy NR quill pedals with Christophe straps and they NEVER made a peep). Switched to Speedplay years ago, stainless X. Once you learn to lock in and bail out, they are pretty good--entry in the dark is fine since they are symmetrical. For me, not as simple as "stomping" on the pedal. I need a slight lateral rocking and twisting to get in, even as the cleat springs east up. Also, with the lower stack height, I had to lower my saddle about 10 mm. The one negative I experience with Speedplay is the seduction of float. I thought: "Float! Wow! More float is good!" Turns out not so, and I developed lateral knee pain. Got better as I locked in float closer to my biomechanical neutral. Also, hip flexor and quad exercises helped. Can't say for sure the knee pain was due to Speedplays. Knees are pushing 60 so less flexibility may be a factor. If you get the old style Speedplay, be religious about using cleat covers when you walk in them. Dirt is a bitch and will gum up the works and hasten wear. The cleats are a pain to clean. Also, if you are sensitive to Q, the Ti spindles come in shorter lengths than the stainless or chromoly spindles. There are after-market mfgrs of spindles as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gavf

by Gavf

muntos wrote:What about Mavic (carbon) pedals ? Any experiences ?

The Zxellium Ultimate's weigh 135g a pair, that's pretty good, although out of my price range at £270