Lightweight Meilenstein bearing play issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

These (front hubs) are custom made by LW, including internals etc. Only an auyhorized LW dealer can help you with that.

tadrums

by tadrums

Thx. Not necessarily. Tho the fronts are a strange size I've found a bearing source. Bearing removal/install should be straight forward...w/the right bearing press.
TA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloP56Gman

by CerveloP56Gman

All wheels with radial contact cartridge bearings have a bit of end-play, or just "play". It's normal. Zipps, Mavics, etc, all have a bit of play because the bearings themselves are supposed to be set to zero preload. I know this is a huge, misunderstood deal, but radial contact bearings have a natural, engineered-in amount of play that should be preserved when set up correctly. When you preload them---radial contacts---you are forcing the inner races towards each other and running the bearings in a side load situation, basically turning them into angular contact bearings but with very little contact areaa, and so wear in accelerated.

Pre-load is a misnomer.
:smartass: Caution: I am a know-it-all. Self awareness hasn't diminished this fact. :smartass:

tadrums

by tadrums

Hmmm...I guess I should get rid of all my other wheelsets w/o play:-)
TA

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've always preferred angular contact bearings in my hubs. Apart from easier maintenance and adjustments they should be lighter too. I don't know why more hub manufacturers aren't using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri May 20, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CerveloP56Gman

by CerveloP56Gman

tadrums wrote:Hmmm...I guess I should get rid of all my other wheelsets w/o play:-)

Actually, you should simply adjust your hubs correctly. If they have radial contact bearings they will have play. It's always possible to eliminate it by over pre-loading the bearings, which was my point.

And both Campy and Shimano still use angular contacts on all their most expensive wheels, and most of their inexpensive ones as well. There's a good reason for it.
:smartass: Caution: I am a know-it-all. Self awareness hasn't diminished this fact. :smartass:

tadrums

by tadrums

There is no pre-load adjustment on my other LWs and there is no play in them. So...maybe it's not everything that you know:o)
TA

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

This is a known issue with Lightweight Meilensteins.

My front had a tiny amount of play that caused the wheel to kind of 'sing' when I rode out of the saddle.

This is not right.

I sent it back to LW and they returned it. It was then perfect.

(By the way, this issue was there from new. I rode like this for over 6 months before finally accepting it as not right).

tadrums

by tadrums

Obviously not right:-) LW said they'd take care of the issue. I suppose someone should let LW know that lateral bearing play is normal:-)
TA