Enve 4.5 vs Zipp 404 Showstopper Rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

I'm going to either buy the new Zipp 404 NSW or the Enve 4.5 rim with the newly added 2.2 textured brake track. Can anyone comment on the braking performance of either rim the 404 with the showstopper brake track versus the Enve textured track. In wet and dry?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

For reference I'm riding older carbon clinchers from November Bikes (Great company close to me). The rims actually brake very close to aluminum clinchers with black prince pads in the dry. In the wet (Like torrential rain), it takes a good revolution prior to getting any pad bite. I've ridden them in fast group rides in hard rain in a tight paceline and they've been ok to marginal. I would not ride them aggressively in rain descents though and i plan ahead of time to brake for intersections in rain, just to be safe. However, in the rain I ride much more conservatively anyway. Just adding this for additional info.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pamountainbiker wrote:I'm going to either buy the new Zipp 404 NSW or the Enve 4.5 rim with the newly added 2.2 textured brake track. Can anyone comment on the braking performance of either rim the 404 with the showstopper brake track versus the Enve textured track. In wet and dry?

Thanks!

Can you share details on this 4.5 rim with the 2.2 brake track? Whenever I have inquired with Enve they have said there were no plans to update the 4.5, or the 3.4 and the 6.7 for that matter, with the newer brake track as seen on the 2.2 and the 7.8. I don't see anything on their site.

superdx

by superdx

I can't find anything about 4.5 update either, is this real?

wingguy

by wingguy

I was told by Enve a few weeks ago that all rims in the line will be standardized onto the new dimpled brake track. It won't happen on the 6.7 because that wheel is being dropped from the lineup (along with the 8.9) but the 4.5 should have it as of about now and the 3.4 will get it whenever the current mold wears out and hey start using the new one.

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

This is correct and confirmed by folks who already have them built and / or in stock, aka Wheelbuilder. The 2.2 brake track is now incorporated into the 4.5's. The running change was made to all new shipments starting in January 2016 to the US, I believe, although this has not bee advertised. Most likely to not anger all the folks who bought the original rim in the 4th qtr 2015, would be my guess. Right when the 2.2 dropped, I had reached out to ENVE to see if they were going to update the 4.5 and they flat out said no at that time. Although again, why would they jeopardize or create downward price pressure on extant stock until they had to. But yes, we can verify that indeed the 4.5 track and the 2.2 track is now the same. HOWEVER, to se safe make absolutely certain that what you are getting is the new one as there is most likely old stock floating around.

superdx

by superdx

Would be decent if shops make a distinction between the old models. I get trying to clear old inventory but this is actually a fairly big difference and hiding it from a potential buyer is a little dishonest. No one would pay for the old product at the same price.

Looks like it's a safer bet to just wait a couple months to guarantee you get the new brake track treatment. If they really wanted to get rid of old inventory they should just put it on sale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwp75

by jwp75

oh well, as a person that got the 4.5 last October, I wish I new that they were updating the brake track. I did ask too and got the same response as everyone else. At least these were crash replacements and I didn't pay full retail.