Colnago C60 rear brake ferrules

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

can anyone tell me where they got there ferrules and what ferrules they use on there colnago c60 for the rear brake as the campagnolo cable kits don't come supplied with brake ferrules but i think this might be the source of my problem with a gritty brake. i have tried some jagwire ferrules which fitted the cable but not the frame. any help will be appreciated :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

In the past I've recycled some ferrules from Campy 10 speed cable sets. (Not sure if they fit a C60 though.)

TomColnago

by TomColnago

AJS914 wrote:In the past I've recycled some ferrules from Campy 10 speed cable sets. (Not sure if they fit a C60 though.)

Sadly i haven't got any of them around... will have to keep searching for ferrules :?

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I used an alligator brake ferrule off of my ILink kit for one of my other bike. Nether the jagwire or campagnolo from the record shifters worked.

AJS914

by AJS914

TomColnago wrote:Sadly i haven't got any of them around... will have to keep searching for ferrules :?

Maybe you could take the bike down to the LBS and just see what they have in their small parts bin that fits?

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Question:
Btw do you actually need those rear brake ferrules on the C60?
The Campy ones won't fit, I'm currently running the rear brake cables minus the ferrules.

All C60 owners running Campy/Shimano, please share your thoughts or comment.

Cheers.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I tried that AJS and nothing fitted that they had in :noidea:
That's how I'm running my bike at the moment I seem to have got it smoother but there is still a noise. The noise might just be a little imperfection in the frame so I have hopes it will just go away. Thanks for all the advice guys :D

Faapaa

by Faapaa

Jagwire 5mm works well with ultrashift cable set and c60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not being familiar with the situation, I searched for an image, but no luck.

Campy has never required ferrules on brake housing, (because brake housing does not require ferrules in the same way that derailleur housing does), but aftermarket ones are available. Campy brake housing is 4.9 mm dia.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Couldn't you use a regular POP jagwire ferrule end. The one that reduces from 5mm to a smaller diameter. I didn't have one but used something similar from alligator.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The place where you use Ferrules on Campy brake housing is in the case of a split in the routing of the rear brake line. Like most frames of old had two cable stops along the top tube. Some not even that old. And Campy used to actually supply these ferrules with their cable sets, but no more, which bugs me cuz it's really hard to find the ones that fit campy brake housing (4.9mm) exactly. I have exactly 5 left in my stash. They are for applications like this...Image
The C60, unlike the C59 with a full length brake housing run through the top tube, uses the split method and cable stops. I didn't know that till basically, Tom's post.

Ya know... if the fit is good and the cable inserts far enough, you don't even need the ferrules and maybe the C60 is a tight enough fit in there for that very reason. I'd say the noise is coming from the edge of where it makes the bend as soon as it goes into the frame, so you're on the right track in finding it. And it probably isn't really that significant, right.?

I just like using the ferrules in applications like I pictured above. I think it just adds a little more "finished" look and keeps the ends of the cable from getting mangled. Also, inevitably the coatings on the end of the brake housing seem to shrink back a bit from the cut, exposing the wound steel of the brake housing, which looks gnarly if it's exposed. In addition, without the ferrule (which is very smooth), and a less than perfectly ground cut at the end, the bare steel can start grinding into the paint on the stop pretty easily as well. In the case of the C60, I think the cable inserts far enough in, and sounds tight enough, that it's a pretty good fit in itself.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Calnago wrote:The place where you use Ferrules on Campy brake housing is in the case of a split in the routing of the rear brake line. Like most frames of old had two cable stops along the top tube. Some not even that old. And Campy used to actually supply these ferrules with their cable sets, but no more, which bugs me cuz it's really hard to find the ones that fit campy brake housing (4.9mm) exactly. I have exactly 5 left in my stash. They are for applications like this...Image
The C60, unlike the C59 with a full length brake housing run through the top tube, uses the split method and cable stops. I didn't know that till basically, Tom's post.

If they fit, and it makes you happy, you can do that. There is no technical requirement.

I have a selection of Campy bikes with the same situation wrt rear brakes, and no ferrules.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I get ya Bikerjulio. and I've edited my previous post to reflect that. And I'm now thinking the guides in the C60 are made for no ferrules at all, which is fine. There's no "technical requirement" for a lot of things. But we do them because it may be better or it's just nicer. And Campy did used to provide a couple brake cable ferrules for that reason. Wish they still did, cuz there's still a lot of bikes around with top tube cable stops. You can always use the 5mm ferrules in those cases, they work, just don't fit the cables as nicely. Like sloppy arm warmers.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Mine's got a ferrule on it that fits both frame and cable nicely, but i didn't build it up myself- assume the mechanic was able to put his hands on one the right size. But now i know they're hard to come by, i'll treasure it accordingly when re-cabling!

But yes, does seem odd that Campag doesn't supply any - i've got a Campag spare cable set in hand, and just checked - it does indeed only come with ferrules for the narrower gear cable outers by the looks of it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Campy standard brake ferrules won't fit on the C60, I've tried it.
I've seen pictures in the net with the alloy ferrules on a Campy built C60 though.
Weird..