Enve Composites bought by Mavic parent company

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

wingguy wrote:Yep, the above is exactly right. Mavic don't need Enve's tech, and Enve don't need Mavic's manufacturing. The same company owning both doesn't mean they're going to be morphed together in any way except probably shipping. The reason for Amer to buy Enve is that they're a profitable, rapidly growing company that Amer thinks is worth the investment - particularly if they can streamline the distribution.

This is the way I see it. When Budweiser sold out to InBev, some changes in advertising happened, but the beer is still just as crappy. Same can be said for when Ford bought Jaguar and Land Rover. Not much changed in the individual lines. Now Tata owns those two companies, and I still wouldn't expect revolutionary changes as a result.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Maybe it turns out like SRAM buying Quarq. They left them alone, and their customer service is fantastic...warranty etc. Quarq pretty much has my business for a long long time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I think SRAM is a whole different animal. They're buying up companies, and most likely go public and cash out
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Leviathan

by Leviathan

French holding companies traditionally value, hence pay for, market share and market scale, and this gets them more of it. Amortizing acquisition goodwill doesnt really come into it.

wingguy

by wingguy

That's interesting and all, but since Amer Sports isn't French I'm not sure how it applies :wink:

What do Finnish holding companies traditonally value?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sisu.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Sorry, I got it wrong! All that money in an expensive French business school for nothing..

wingguy

by wingguy

@ Prend - Haha, yep! That and Jalovina, in my experience with the Finns :P

Vermu

by Vermu

What Amer has bought has been, so far, for long term invest.
They haven't sold any of their invests before (excluding tobacco and car retail) and seek to improve their business.
Look at Suunto and Wilson. I don't think there will be drastic changes in ENVEs work, some sharing between IP with mavic but only time will tell.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

wingguy wrote:@ Prend - Haha, yep! That and Jalovina, in my experience with the Finns :P

This is the only thing that came to mind when I first read about Amer Sports buying ENVE

Sisu.
Small, sharp knives.
Viina.
Vodka.
A professor I had back in undergraduate who smiled a lot when he spoke English.
The Finnish National Hockey Team.
Teemu Selänne, legend
Miikka Kiprusoff, legend
and
Jesse Puljujarvi - who I hope the Flames draft this June.

Quite surprised, and disappointed, that so many people on Weight Weenies of all places immediately though Amer Sports is a French company and then started all the garbage about French workers, companies and so forth... Just because a company purchases a brand does not mean that everything changes or the sky is falling down. Unless the buying company is known for buying failing brands and selling assets - which Amer Sports is not - then the other result is typically quite good.

So all y'all chill out about this.
Go out for a ride and stop wringing your hands!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

FWIW, Arc'teryx is also owned by Amer. Arc'teryx was bought by Salomon, which was owned by Adidas, and now by Amer. I don't know if, under Amer, Arc'teryx is still part of Salomon or run as a separate operation.

sawyer

by sawyer

If there are synergy benefits - cost or revenue - then it can make sense.

That's the bottom line in any takeover, plus any factors specific to these two entities and their markets.

The "Mavic could do what ENVE can do tomorrow" isn't necessarily true btw. Don't underestimate
how hard it can be to get people to do things differently LOL!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: