Standard pf30 vs. torq-tight (ish) bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Hi all,
Just seeking a bit of knowledgeable advice. I have a 2015 cannondale evo hi-mod on which I have been running a record gruppo. I have a praxis pf30 to ultra torque converter which is great... No creaking, wobble, etc.

I recently got an sisl2 crank to run on it and I'm trying to decide on a bottom bracket. I've read the "creaking" stories about the pf30 and want to avoid those issues. So I'm curious if anyone has some experience with the hawk racing pf30 bb which has standard cups vs. a pf30 bb that screw's together, a la "enduro torq-tight". Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

If your bearings are not creaking now they probably won't creak with the new crank. It's the bearing to frame interface that's usually the problem.

So put the new crank in the current bearings. If they do start creaking and the usual Loctite (641 or similar not the 242 thread locker) fix does not work then consider the alternate BBs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Currently he's got a Praxis converted BB to Ultratorque. Meaning that has to come out in order to fit his Sisl2 crank which has a 30mm spindle. I've used standard PF30 cups, with primer and Loctite 609 AND a proper press with proper bearing bushings to ensure that both cups are perfectly aligned in the shell. No creaks with correct installation. I've also installed a Chris King PF30 BB in an EVO shell and no creaks. Whichever route you go, proper installation on these things is critical. I don't know anything about the Hawk Racing PF30 cups, but PF30 is PF30. With separate cups, alignment is the critical thing to get right. Hence the use of a proper press and bearing bushings during install and Loctite 609 (or similar retaining compound) to make sure movement (and thus creaking) between cups and shell is eliminated. With the screw together types of BB's the alignment is taken care of by its design.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Gotcha, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk