New Vittoria Corsa G+in black?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rippin

by Rippin

November Rail 34 carbon clinchers.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Rippin wrote:November Rail 34 carbon clinchers.

What are you using for rim strips? I mounted the Corsa G+ 700x25 on Zipp 303 FC with the rim strips Zipp supplied and found it somewhat difficult. Last week I mounted Corsa G+ 700x23 tires on narrower 2011 Reynolds Attack with Panaracer rims strips and had to use a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack to get the last few inches of bead on the rim. The next day when I decided the Panaracer rim strips where knackered, after installing Zeffal adhesive rim strips, mounting the same tire the simply could not have been completed without use of the Tire Bead Jack as I do not have enough skin on my fingers! :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Most open tubulars are difficult to mount first time, but stretch out in the process. By far the most difficult combination I encountered was a Challenge Grifo (not the clincher version but the open tubular) on a tubeless ready MTB rim (since 29er rims are compatible for cyclocross use).

After that first installation, changing between these tires and my Challenge Limus tires for deep mud became quite easy.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lieblingsleguan wrote:...By far the most difficult combination I encountered was a Challenge Grifo (not the clincher version but the open tubular) on a tubeless ready MTB rim ...

You're making a distinction between a "clincher" and an "open tubular"? Why?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Calnago wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:...By far the most difficult combination I encountered was a Challenge Grifo (not the clincher version but the open tubular) on a tubeless ready MTB rim ...

You're making a distinction between a "clincher" and an "open tubular"? Why?

There are two non-tubular tires called "Challenge Grifo":
Clincher: http://www.challengetech.it/products/cy ... ifo-022/en
Open tubular: http://www.challengetech.it/products/cy ... ifo-019/en

The Challenge website it actually showing a picture of the tubular version as it looks very similar to the open tubular version which can be seen here: http://content.competitivecyclist.com/i ... 0N/BLA.jpg

amey

by amey

Installed mine, come up 26.3mm on Kinlin XC279 rim:

Marin

by Marin

25mm nominal I guess? Don't look very black to me :D

tinozee

by tinozee

sugarkane wrote:It's red to black fade @busymanbicycles tape. He makes the best custom tape and saddle covering in the world. Lots of the custom bikes I do use his tape. It's very good stuff

Wow just visited that guy's site, it's amazing work! Thanks for the tip.

(sorry for OT, but that was a special site)

ms6073

by ms6073

Calnago wrote:You're making a distinction between a "clincher" and an "open tubular"? Why?

While the terms are used interchangeably, often times 'open' denotes that the 'clincher' version as was manufactured in a similar manner using the same materials as the tubular tire.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, it's marketing. Basically the same construction as their tubular, but in a clincher version, hence "open" tubular. Aka clincher.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Calnago wrote:Yes, it's marketing. Basically the same construction as their tubular, but in a clincher version, hence "open" tubular. Aka clincher.

Not necessarily. Open tubular & clincher are used interchangeably but there is a fundamental difference. Open tubulars are constructed in the same way as the tubular version with a cotton casing and cold applied tread strip. The clincher versions will be different in casing construction as well as the tread being applied using heat.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

ultimobici wrote:
Calnago wrote:Yes, it's marketing. Basically the same construction as their tubular, but in a clincher version, hence "open" tubular. Aka clincher.

Not necessarily. Open tubular & clincher are used interchangeably but there is a fundamental difference. Open tubulars are constructed in the same way as the tubular version with a cotton casing and cold applied tread strip. The clincher versions will be different in casing construction as well as the tread being applied using heat.

Exactly. Clincher in the way Challenge uses the term means that the entire casing is soaked in rubber that gets vulcanized to it, so this includes the sidewalls.
I don't have a more exact term for it, I just wanted to point out, that all tires I encountered constructed in the "open tubular" way tend to be a very tight fit during first installation and stretch out significantly during use making further installations a lot easier.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, I see. I think that's kinda what I was saying wasn't it?... "Basically the same construction as their tubular, but in a clincher version."
Actually, now that I reread I think it was my use of the word "marketing" that might have thrown things a bit sideways. I guess I assume they call them "open tubulars" to distinguish them as higher quality construction than their regular clinchers? Would that be fair to say as I'm not an expert in their actual construction. Or are they of the same quality but just use different methods of construction to get there? I don't know.

LouisN

by LouisN

Open tubulars casings are constructed the same way as a tubular tire.
A cotton or poly cloth strip, with a rubber band glued on the center.
The "open" version has a "rod" sewn to both ends of the cloth piece instead of being completely sewn around an inner tube.

Like written previously, clinchers are built like .... clinchers.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Open Tubulars are built like clinchers were built in the 1st 100 years after they were invented :)