Cervelo R5 2014 to a S-works Tarmac disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Naturel

by Naturel

Hello,

I ride now on a Cervelo R5 2014 with Dura Ace 9000 mecanical and Dt Swiss rrc32 clincher...very allround bike!

But I am looking for the news and I found that the Specialized Tarmac S-works disc is a good deal, race frame, electronic drivechain and discbrakes.

What do you think to change from my cervelo (6.2kg) to this model (7kg)?

The Cervelo is more confortable and better for long ride (200kms)

I have always thought that Cervelo is more exclusive.

Thank You for your interest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tlmsal

by tlmsal

I have a buddy who just got on a swork tarmac disc and he loves it (he's coming from a non-disk tarmac). He mentioned it took some getting used too but he loves the disc brakes now.

Either way, i don't think you can go wrong. The r5 is a sexy bike, just depends if you want some shinny and new!

Naturel

by Naturel

Thank You for your opinion.

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Both are great bikes. I don't think anyone can be unhappy with a tarmac, but coming from a R5 you're probably not going to feel an upgrade sensation either. Save the cash, in my opinion!
velonode.cc

Nejmann

by Nejmann

The tarmac is bit heavier than advertised.. More like 7.5+.. I was close to buying one, but you are stuck with the roval wheels. Kind of a dealbreaker here.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

You may want to wait for 2017 S-Works, slated for release in late summer. Thru-axle should be introduced along with new aero shape of Roval wheels and hopefully flat mount disc brakes http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/ ... hed_395522
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Stueys

by Stueys

I'm trying to think of the scenario when I would rather have a Tarmac over an R5.... nope, can't think of one

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

Nejmann wrote:The tarmac is bit heavier than advertised.. More like 7.5+.. I was close to buying one, but you are stuck with the roval wheels. Kind of a dealbreaker here.

You can use any disc wheels you wan't with the Tarmac, all you need is the rear mech hanger from the normal Tarmac. Regarding the future of disc wheels, most through-axle disc hubs can be converted into QR compatibility with different end-caps, so in this regard the Tarmac is definitely more future proof than any current disc frame with a through-axle design.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

R5 would be better weight-wise but it's a bit harsh from what I heard. S-works offers more balanced frame and comes with ceramic bearings.(which I love)

It's a matter of preference I guess.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Naturel wrote:
I have always thought that Cervelo is more exclusive.

Yup
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

wingguy

by wingguy

DavidMLee wrote:R5 would be better weight-wise but it's a bit harsh from what I heard.

Definitely not harsh!

S-works offers more balanced frame

What does that mean?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

wingguy wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:R5 would be better weight-wise but it's a bit harsh from what I heard.

Definitely not harsh!

S-works offers more balanced frame

What does that mean?

You have to realize that majority of the users on this forum don't know what they are talking about, no credibility and no first-hand experience. Just random personal opinions, that's all.

If you are going to take the time to post something, at least post something useful, share your knowledge and insight. That's the sole purpose of this forum.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I would wait on the Tarmac disc for right now. The new Dura ace is going to change the way many frames are designed - the Tarmac disc being one of them. Currently they are using 135 QR with the disc, but the new DA will allow 142 Thru axles without the need to lengthen the chainstays. The bike will likely be redesigned this coming year. Also the new hydraulic levers (di2 or mech) will be much better than what is currently available along with better calipers.

The R5 is a fantastic bike and I highly recommend it. Very easy to work on, and overall a great frame.

As far as differences beyond the disc.... the R5 will have a slightly taller headtube. In a 54cm, the headtube is about 8mm taller. Beyond that, they will feel fairly similar in terms of overall feel. It will come down to personal preference beyond that.

em3

by em3

OP , if u want disc and the sublime Cervelo ride and light weight, why not just go with Cervelo R3 disc?

dmulligan

by dmulligan

OP, what is your R5 missing that you want to find in a different bike?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk
Last edited by dmulligan on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com