S-Works pave seat post compatibility question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered...

At the moment I'm running an s works toupe saddle on an s works pave seat post. Ideally I'd like to keep the post but change out the saddle for a Antares 00. Does anyone know of a way of making this conversion. Is there a clamp available out there for this adaption or do I need to bite the bullet and say goodbye to a post I really like?

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hey,

looking at Fizik spec it says rails are 7*9mm at the new Antares 00. Do you have new version or old?
I don't remember it the rails were 9 or 9,6mm at the old version.

But looking at spec for your seatpost, it says you got clamps for both 7*7 and 7*9 included?
So it should be OK if you still have that spare clamper?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/ro ... n-seatpost

http://www.fizik.it/saddles/road-saddle ... s-00-2016/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Thanks for the fast response!

The problem is the toupe rails are near round where the Antares, and most other carbon rails from what I can gather, are more of an elongated oval shape. This means the pave clamp doesn't take it securely. I'm just wondering if there's an alternate clamp (maybe 3rd party available). The other clamp provided with the post is also designed specially for spesh saddles from what I can tell.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

You should have received both clamps with your post. If not http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-components/seat-posts/anodized-clamp-79mm As above, this fits all 7x9 rails, including the fizik - not just specialized 7x9

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi

As I already stated it doesn't fit non spesh Carbon railed saddles due to the shape of the rails. I have both the s works toupe as well as the Antares 00 so I know this for sure. Do you have any personal experience with this or are you just reading from the spesh site?

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Can you post pics and measurements of what you're trying to fit?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TurboTommy wrote:Hi

As I already stated it doesn't fit non spesh Carbon railed saddles due to the shape of the rails. I have both the s works toupe as well as the Antares 00 so I know this for sure. Do you have any personal experience with this or are you just reading from the spesh site?

Hm, a tough cookie!

Have you tried mailing Spesh tech department and ask them? or possibly a concept store?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

TurboTommy wrote:Hi

Are you really sure? I have the regular S-Works SL Carbon seat post and it came with two clamps. One vor 7x7 and one for 7x9. I use the 7x9 for my Tune Komm-Vor saddle and it works perfect. No problem of any kind with the shape of rails, which I suppose are the same shape as the ones from the Antares 00 saddle.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi guys, again, thanks for the responses

The SL saddle and the pave saddle have very different clamping systems. The SL being 2 bolt vs the pave's 1 bolt system (The pave comes with the 2015 s works Tarmac).

Have I tried to fix it? / am I sure etc? Yes guys you'll have to take my word on it I guess. It's not a good fit and will ultimately damage the Antares rails and is potentially very dangerous...

What I was kinda hoping for was for someone who's had 1st hand experience of solving this problem coming forward.

salesguy

by salesguy

I have a 2016 s-works tarmac, same seatpost I think. I tried mounting a PRO falcon carbon saddle (7x9 supposedly) and it wouldn't fit at all, rocked back and forth. The carbon specialized saddle fits fine.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Yes 2015/16 Tarmac are the same.

Looking at other people builds it seems they've solved this issue by swapping out the seat post. As I say, I'd like to keep the pave post and find another solution if possible.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Try this, it might help the thread:

BikeAnon wrote:Can you post pics and measurements of what you're trying to fit?
:wink:

It this were happening to me, I'd buy a side-clamp post that fits my saddle, take the parts I need, pop them in the Pave, and put the leftover parts together as a spare post.

This might be very inexpensive, as you can get single-bolt clamp posts from China for under $20. Since you're not going to use the post, you don't need to worry about the quality of the carbon fiber.

I just went through this same trouble with my Trek post. Trek makes 7x7, 7x9, and 7x10 clamps. Maybe one of theirs would fit the slip-holes in your post (if you include the inner plastic bits that friction-fit the head of you post).

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi bikeanon

I've not included pictures because I was hoping for someone with first hand experience of this to spot the thread. I've considered what you suggested but it seems a bit speculative to start buying various posts on the chance that one has a good fit with the pave. You're right that trek, amongst others make a variety of different sized clamps, some specifally for fizik saddles.

Sorry to repeat myself but I was just hoping someone might save me the trouble of trying a variety of different combinations by pointing me in the right direction.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

An option that I'd highly recommend:

Specialized original S-Works Pave post with Zertz. My favorite seatpost of all time. Fits any sized rail. I'll argue that it is a better/more comfortable design than the single-bolt design they went to later.
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/contr ... 10crx.aspx

I was just recently mentioning these posts here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137737#p1206670

One of the members here on the forum has one available:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137737&start=15

I've considered buying it because they are not made any more.

I have used these on my S-Works E5, Roubaix, and I beat the crap out of the one on my cyclocross bike that doubles as a gravel racer. I've never had a problem with the ones I have. As a bonus, the one on my road bike I removed the Zertz on. Looks cool, a little lighter.

EDIT: Also, I have about 10,000 miles on a carbon fiber railed (7x10) cheap knock-off saddle with this post (see below). It has worked out just fine.
Attachments
pave.jpg

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi anon

Thanks for trying to find a solution but I don't like the look of that post. I don't think it will look good on my Tarmac.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com