FM066 cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fuzzdog

by Fuzzdog

Hello
I've just set up the cables on a new FM066 using the plastic tubes that came with the frame. Nice and easy to get the cables through but now its set up it occurs to me that the gear cables would be better if they were routed to the opposite side of the bike instead of the same side that the plastic tubes were guided to. Is there any reason why this is not possible?
I have cable adjusters on both sides and getting the cables into the same side seems to requite quite a severe bend and I just thought it would be less so if the went in the opposite side. I know from reading threads here that some people have had trouble installing the cables on this frame so I took the easy option of using the yellow cable guides to make it easy so I haven'i investigated the internals of the frame yet. I don't want to remove the cables now and find it's not possible to switch sides.

I'd be grateful for your input.

Cheers

Marin

by Marin

It's possible, but you'll need to cross the cables inside the downtube. Works fine for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fuzzdog

by Fuzzdog

Okay thanks. I thought that might be the case. No problems with rattling around in there or friction?

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Crossing external cables under the tube is very common. I can't imagine it's a problem for internal routing.

The only issue will be where they hit the guide under the bottom bracket. You'll want them to enter cleanly, without a big angle change. Probably no problem.

I may do this to my Trek. If i do, I'll probably remove the outer sleeves for the runs that are internal.

EDIT: This video shows some pro and con of the setup. Doesn't refer specifically to internal, but the ideas are the same:

http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcent ... ntube.html

Fuzzdog

by Fuzzdog

That's great. Thanks both for your help and for the video. :D

I've redone the cables now and it seems much better.

I managed to lesson the pain of fiddling about with threading the inner cables by taking out the bottom bracket cable guide and inserting the plastic sheath tubing that came with the frame into the holes where the cable goes in and then threading the cable through that before catching it at the BB window and sending it through the plastic tubing out the holes at the back and pulling out the plastic tube. Then replacing the BB guide. I was dreading doing it but this idea made it relatively easy.
I don't know it that's standard procedure or not but it might help those who have written here about their problems with this job.

Thanks again .

My first post on this site. Thanks

eric

by eric

My FM066 did not come with plastic tubing and I did not find the internal routing to be difficult. Just so you know that it can be done without the tubing.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

On my fm066 the the cables are digging into the plastic bb cable guide. Are you using a piece of the thin tubing there to stop this from happening?

The exposed wire there is also attracting a lot of dirt since it's slightly sticky from the lubrication and grease previously applied.

Like the original poster I will cross my cables inside the downtube to minimize the bends. My shifting right now is shit because of those bends and the dug in cables into the cable guide.

I also wanted to see if you guys are using sram red by any chance. I noticed the rear derailleur cable entry angle is so bad that the housing from the chainstay to the derailleur needs to be super long. It looks so weird. If I make it shorter the cable bend radius would be small and bad.

Any input on any issue is appreciated. Thank you!

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

BikeAnon wrote:Crossing external cables under the tube is very common. I can't imagine it's a problem for internal routing.

It is usually not a problem for internal cable routing unless one cable or cable liner gets wrapped around the other, thus producing some interesting shifting characteristics! :oops:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"