Nokons or Jagwire Elite Link?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xico

by Xico

Just got some black Nokons for both brakes and shifting...
The problem is that the almost all the links came scratched or with some "lines"/dots with no anodizing. Is this normal?

The question is, should I return them and wait some more days for a new set, or buy Jagwires Elite Links? I can get the Jagwires locally...
Are the Jagwires worse and/or much heavier than Nokons?

Edit: I wanted to write this here, but created a new post by mistake! :oops:

xntrickly

by xntrickly

[quote="Xico"]Just got some black Nokons for both brakes and shifting...
The problem is that the almost all the links came scratched or with some "lines"/dots with no anodizing. Is this normal?

The question is, should I return them and wait some more days for a new set, or buy Jagwires Elite Links? I can get the Jagwires locally...
Are the Jagwires worse and/or much heavier than Nokons?

Edit: I wanted to write this [url=http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137487]here[/url], but created a new post by mistake! :oops:[/quote]

I've had both and I prefer the Jagwires because they are more durable finish-wise...

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chewy

by Chewy

I use Jagwire elite links on both my bikes (brakes only as have Di2). Highly recommend them.

Attermann

by Attermann

Does the jagwire work on campagnolo?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would not accept the kit if it was scratched all over. Jagwire is truly great! I could not do other than recommend them.

EDIT: No, Jagwire Elite do not scratch easily. The best i've had so far and no dents or such!

It seems the Elite kits are only available for Shima and Sram!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

synthesis

by synthesis

Works on Campagnolo:

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I also would return the poor quality ones. I don't have experience with either set, but your experience tells me that Nokons aren't terrific.

For those that went to Jagwire Elites.... how did you like the transition to using compressionless outers on brake cables?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think Elite works great! I don't even think of making a transition, honestly!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Xico

by Xico

Thanks!

I will go for the Jagwires and return the Nokons.

wheelsONfire, how did you isntalled the inline adjusters in the middle of the segmented part of the cabes? (At least is what it seems in the pictures of you great Vial EVO)!

In order to leave the front of bike with a "cleaner" look, what do you think of installing the inline adjusters near the frame port?

eric01

by eric01

Another plus of the Jagwires is a set of instructions which you can actually understand! Nokon instructions are terrible! I'm running nokons on bike and Jagwire on another. If I ever need to replace the nokons, I will go with Jagwire. Although that will likely only be if switch to a new bike. Had nokon on another bike for a good 7 or 8 years.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

nickf

by nickf

nothing but good things to say about the jags. Nice quality and weight. Didn't use the barrel adjuster so my transition is under the bar tape. Where can I find the inner liners? Anyone have part numbers?

cobrakai

by cobrakai

You can get it on ebay, I got a 6 meter length recently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381510788740?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wait so u returned the nokons to get non-link jag wires?

anyways, i have nokons and they are noisy , but i will say their brake feel is the best i've had with sram aerolink brakes than any other cabling system im tried.... da7900 , gore, jagwire (all levels, not link though), yokozuna, etc. The shift cables were ok , but i'd rate da7900 up there. Discolored or scratched, if u are a perfectionist , then u need to return them, but it's pretty minor in the way they function. I moved my nokons over to my TT bike and that's where the little links really shines.

Also nokon instructions really aren't very difficult.... they can be found online too.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Any comments on Elite Link vs. Aican Bungarus or Alligator i-Link?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Xico wrote:
In order to leave the front of bike with a "cleaner" look, what do you think of installing the inline adjusters near the frame port?

take the inline adjusters and move them to the trash bin. You dont need them. really. Setup the braking and shifting good from the start and you'll be fine.