R3 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newforker

by newforker

Just got this in and had it built up. 7.86 kg out of the box. Sorry for the crappy photo.

stormur

by stormur

without pedals.... with it's 8.1kg ;) plus bottle cages, speed/cadence sensors, computer = 8.3kg... minus 20g of steerer to cut. So ONE kilo ( 2lbs) more than Size L cx bike with Cx tires :-/ .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I wanted one pretty badly, until I realized that they made the crankset proprietary due to chainline. :(

At least it looks nice, but a bit porky.

stormur

by stormur

I know it sounds like heresy/here/, but lightest bikes are not those which ride best ( comfort, drive-line stiffness, stability...) . Reliable disc braked frame MUST be heavier than road/canti. No mercy. Anyway 1 kg is approx what (?) : 1-1.5% of total mass ? ;) In mixed terrain it's ...irrelevant.

Crank is very OK, so no need to change even with drivetrain upgrade/change. What you mean "proprietary" ? it can be or MegaExo or BB386... Cervelo is waay to small to FSA made smth just for them, for just 1 frameset model...

Seatpost is fine ( have same - reasonably light like for CX, and bombproof ) , saddle/stem/bar are heavy. Same Shimano. For relatively small money few hundred grams can be dropped easy.

BTW I went while ago thru path " 1 bike for all" . It doesn't work IMHO. It does not shine at any field, and even cheap "dedicated" stuff work better on certain one. Exception is "recreation" use only. Then, yes - it has sense.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

superdx

by superdx

Are those HED Stinger 3 disc wheels? They don't even list the weight on the website, they must be heavy.

There are lighter options out there, but will not be cheap. Probably get it down to 7kg just by replacing wheels alone. Tires look pretty generic too.