Lightest headset spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Ok, as the title states, I'm wondering about the lightest production headset spacers available. Does using a spacer that's 1 gram lighter than another make me a better rider? Absolutely not, but this is the weightweenie forum after all, and a lot of this forum is (and should be) about these embarrassingly extreme attentions to detail (IMO), so I hope you guys will be able to give me some answers. The lightest I've found is the Gamut Cillos spacers, at a claimed weigh of only 1g, 1.5g, 3g and 4g for the 5, 10, 20 and 30mm versions. Can anyone confirm these weights? Any other options that's just as light?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Yeah, in this threat OP weight Point 1 spacers (now gamut) and confirm.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Oh. Sorry for posting this then. Post can be deleted.

DavidG

by DavidG

Here are the real weights of the Point 1 Racing Nano Second spacers (now rebranded as Gamut), measured on a calibrated scale:
* 5mm = 1.3g
* 10mm = 2.4g
* 20mm = 4.2g
* 30mm = 6.0g

These are the lightest spacers I've found, but the problem is that they're pretty concave so the look won't be everyone's cup of tea. (Note that the weights quoted for the Point 1s on the FWB website are off by quite a bit.)

The Tune Magnesium spacers are only slightly heavier but IMHO look better:
* 2mm = 0.7g
* 4mm = 1.2g
* 10mm = 2.6g
* 15mm = 3.7g

The problem with the Tune spacers is that the largest is 15mm, so if you need to use a high spacer stack you'll need a few of these, which is less aesthetic.

David

Benno

by Benno

The lightest spacers are no spacers. Now slam that stem ;-)

coresare

by coresare

Hate to revive such an old thread, but I wanted to briefly review my experience with the Extralite ABS printed headset spacer. After about a year with it, it seems to be bulging out at the ends a TINY BIT. You can see a white line as if it has some structural compromise. It's light as hell. 2 grams about for a 15mm spacer. I stuck the stock carbon looking one on which weighs about 8 grams. Any recommendations for a light and dependable one?
Last edited by coresare on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

coresare wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Any recommendations for a light and dependable one?
5mm FSA polycarbonate spacers are ~1.8g a piece, should be 5.4g for your setup. One piece spacers of the same size might be lighter, but I couldn't find the weight of 15mm CC AER spacer, if such exists. Thanks for the feedback, did try warrant the spacers with Extralite?
Attachments
FSA polycarbonate 5mm spacers weight, 2pcs
FSA polycarbonate 5mm spacers weight, 2pcs

coresare

by coresare

I got it from Starbike and I live in California so I won't bother with the hassle. I'm guessing it didn't cost too much. You can literally take the spacer and easily smash it if you squeeze it from the sides with 2 fingers. I know its meant to take compression forces, not lateral.. Ill try to take a photo after work of the 'white line'.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

coresare wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Hate to revive such an old thread, but I wanted to briefly review my experience with the Extralite ABS printed headset spacer. After about a year with it, it seems to be bulging out at the ends a TINY BIT. You can see a white line as if it has some structural compromise. It's light as hell. 2 grams about for a 15mm spacer. I stuck the stock carbon looking one on which weighs about 8 grams. Any recommendations for a light and dependable one?
Tune have carbon spacers. 2, 5 and 10mm versions.
I have them on both my Ax and Open bike. No problems, they still look like when they were new.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

coresare

by coresare

Here are the pics of what seems to be structural compromise. The top cap was never tightened down hard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com