Do I keep my Colnago?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for advice opinions. I don't spend astronomical amounts on kit, but do appreciate quality stuff. My last 'best bike' was a sram red planet x nanolight (928gm frame), with Royce/gigantex wheels. It was pretty light, had to be close to 7kg or less. I had this for a while and it was all getting quite tired. Then recently a some friends ina bike shop had a minorly scratched new Colnago CLX 3.0 (ultegra) for a very bargin price. So I grabbed it with little thought. The wheels were crap, so my royce wheels went straight on. I love the bike, its fast and smooth, but it is a bit of lump... With the Royce wheels it touches 8kg!! The frame I believe is about 1150-1200gms, my Royce wheels are about 15-1600.. So I'm contemplating what to do. The frame is practically new so I could just sell it on and by a sub kilo frame?? I've been offered a VR-1 for 2k new... But I can't really afford that, so any suggestion on a decent weight weenie frame closer to 1k???? Also I could just ditched my lovely wheels and go for somthing chinnesse and 1200-1300 GM's??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bz8ofyxhw7yy ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Any advice??

All the best, O

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Colnago is well worth its added weight. Provided that is fits You well I would keep it. and try some bang for the buck weight savings elsewhere. Who cares about Colnago weight so much? I know it's Ww but unless You race seriously or climb a lot, it's all. in your head. Blasphemy but you will rarely notice this difference, maybe on sharp climbs. But its stiffness will shine there.

eurperg

by eurperg

Makes no sense to change the frame because of its (not even heavy) weight, if you are using such heavy wheels.
Last edited by eurperg on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

Keep the frame and buy new wheels. You won't regret it.

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

victorduraace wrote:Colnago is well worth its added weight. Provided that is fits You well I would keep it. and try some bang for the buck weight savings elsewhere. Who cares about Colnago weight so much? I know it's Ww but unless You race seriously or climb a lot, it's all. in your head. Blasphemy but you will rarely notice this difference, maybe on sharp climbs. But its stiffness will shine there.

This has been my attitude to owning it so far. It is every bit as everyone describes Colnago, stiff, fast but some how confidence inspiring and smooth.. kind of like driving a tuned Jag'! :) ... But the weight eats at my inner weight weenie abit.. If I were loaded and went for the VR-1, or if I swallowed my pride and bought the lighter Hong Fu frame, I'd loose around 400gms straight off. Equally i could ebay my current wheels, say good bye to Royce-bombproof-shiny-luxury, I get a pair of farsport 38mm tubs wheels and save another 400gms, then 100off skewers, 100 off my bars, and that's a sub 7kg bike... But I can't afford all that... So I think I'm leaning towards keeping the frame and doing the other bits and having a 7.5kg bike.. Hmm decisions... :)

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

kgt wrote:Keep the frame and buy new wheels. You won't regret it.

+eurperg

I could go for a pair of these. They'd be a 5-600gm saving, and I could probably recoup £300 on eBay for my current wheels

kgt

by kgt

ozzy1000 wrote:If I were loaded and went for the VR-1, or if I swallowed my pride and bought the lighter Hong Fu frame, I'd loose around 400gms straight off.

Really... if you are ok comparing a Colnago to a Hong Fu go for the Hong Fu.

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

kgt wrote:
ozzy1000 wrote:If I were loaded and went for the VR-1, or if I swallowed my pride and bought the lighter Hong Fu frame, I'd loose around 400gms straight off.

Really... if you are ok comparing a Colnago to a Hong Fu go for the Hong Fu.

Lol, not really, I was just chucking it in there as the two ends of the circa-800gm frame spectrum. There are other options between a VR-1 and a Hong fu....i can't really afford a VR-1 and I don't want a Hong fu... It's useful actually typing these things and hearing reactions like that though, restores my faith in the "keep the CLX" option :)

AJS914

by AJS914

So you have a great riding frame and you are talking about switching it out to save 200-300 grams?

Forget it. Look at other components to save weight. Some brake calipers, a seatpost, maybe bars can save you lots. And wheels like everybody said. And if that VR-1 breaks the budget then you probably don't have the cash to truly play this weight weenie game.

You can always loose a kilo of body weight. That's free!

westham7

by westham7

ozzy1000 wrote:Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for advice opinions. I don't spend astronomical amounts on kit, but do appreciate quality stuff. My last 'best bike' was a sram red planet x nanolight (928gm frame), with Royce/gigantex wheels. It was pretty light, had to be close to 7kg or less. I had this for a while and it was all getting quite tired. Then recently a some friends ina bike shop had a minorly scratched new Colnago CLX 3.0 (ultegra) for a very bargin price. So I grabbed it with little thought. The wheels were crap, so my royce wheels went straight on. I love the bike, its fast and smooth, but it is a bit of lump... With the Royce wheels it touches 8kg!! The frame I believe is about 1150-1200gms, my Royce wheels are about 15-1600.. So I'm contemplating what to do. The frame is practically new so I could just sell it on and by a sub kilo frame?? I've been offered a VR-1 for 2k new... But I can't really afford that, so any suggestion on a decent weight weenie frame closer to 1k???? Also I could just ditched my lovely wheels and go for somthing chinnesse and 1200-1300 GM's??

Any advice??

All the best, O

Go for the vr 1

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

The nice thing about components is that they can be acquired over time. It also keeps the flame alive on "the build." A weight target is a disease, even when you hit it, you go, eh, it could be lighter. Trust me, I hold my 11.5lb bike and I think, eh, it's not light enough.

Slowly acquiring parts that you really want is a joy though. My only advice to you is if you really want X product, don't settle for a cheaper one, just hold off, save and purchase it later. If you're like me, it only results in buying it later anyway. Save first for a nice wheelset, you'll get the biggest benefit from that.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

ozzy1000 wrote:Hi all,

Any advice??

All the best, O

a new v1-r for $2k? that's a steal...a friend just sold a used one for $2500

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

[quote="audiophilitis"][quote="ozzy1000"]Hi all,

Any advice??

All the best, O[/quote]

a new v1-r for $2k? that's a steal...a friend just sold a used one for $2500[/quote]

if only! £2k which is still a steal!! :)

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

AJS914 wrote:So you have a great riding frame and you are talking about switching it out to save 200-300 grams?

Forget it. Look at other components to save weight. Some brake calipers, a seatpost, maybe bars can save you lots. And wheels like everybody said. And if that VR-1 breaks the budget then you probably don't have the cash to truly play this weight weenie game.

You can always loose a kilo of body weight. That's free!

Through the course of today (and this thread), I'm coming to that conclusion. I have three kids and a large mortage, so anyway I look at the VR-1 its looking unlikely..if I did buy it I'd end up spending on weight everywhere else anyway... So I just as well work on saving weight else where and ultimately settle for a bike that's 300gms or so heavier but rides well and cost me £2000 less :) ...

I took various bits off my bike today and weighed them. a new set of wheels will save 500gms. I have deda bars that weigh 330gms, so I could save close to 100 there. I've got ultegra skewers that can go, currently have my training tubs on, sprinter gatorskins with loads of slime in, so they're pretty heavy.. Just changing all those things could net me 750gms bringing my bike to about 7.25kg which I'd be happy with....

O

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allencanna

by allencanna

the new vr-1 is well enhenced.
colnago's riding quility is always the best.