Do I keep my Colnago?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

canoas

by canoas

Once you buy a Colnago, the only way forward is Colnago!

They are timeless classics whether they weigh an extra 400g or not. As "kgt" wrote put some decent wheels on you'll never regret it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I cannot say enough about how much I love my C59. I've had one bike that comes close to the handling (my Time VXS). My Parlee Z4 built up 1/2 pound (225 grams) lighter but it didn't have as sharp handling nor as good ride quality. Colnago seems to capture stiff plus a great ride quality a lot better than most brands. I think that the only other brand I'd consider is another Time but again I'm so happy with the C59 that I'm no longer looking.

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

I think part of my itchy feet simply comes from the fact that I haven't ridden my CLX for ages. The weather here has been terrible so I've been on my mud-guarded alloy winter bike since the autumn. Yesterday the weather wasn't too bad so I did a quick 30miles in the morning on the CLX and fell back in love with it. It is such a quality bike that deserves better/lighter wheels... so decision made, I'm keeping it... Today I'm researching new lighter wheels and will order some new vittoria tubs.

thanks for the input,

O

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

ozzy1000 wrote:
AJS914 wrote:So you have a great riding frame and you are talking about switching it out to save 200-300 grams?

Forget it. Look at other components to save weight. Some brake calipers, a seatpost, maybe bars can save you lots. And wheels like everybody said. And if that VR-1 breaks the budget then you probably don't have the cash to truly play this weight weenie game.

You can always loose a kilo of body weight. That's free!

Through the course of today (and this thread), I'm coming to that conclusion. I have three kids and a large mortage, so anyway I look at the VR-1 its looking unlikely..if I did buy it I'd end up spending on weight everywhere else anyway... So I just as well work on saving weight else where and ultimately settle for a bike that's 300gms or so heavier but rides well and cost me £2000 less :) ...

O

This is smart stuff here. And good job keeping priorities straight. It's better to have a solid family to go back to after the ride on your 200g heavier bike. Besides, to paraphrase the legend Dario Pegoretti, " the frameset only amounts to about 2% of the total rider/bike weight (which is what counts). Why worry about weight when it is such a small portion of the picture?".

AJS914

by AJS914

Of course, Dario was banned from weight weenies. :-)

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

AJS914 wrote:Of course, Dario was banned from weight weenies. :-)

oops. forgot where I was!

ozzy1000

by ozzy1000

Update;

I definitely decided to keep my frame and upgrade to lighter parts. switching to the VR1 frame would have cost me £2k and saved only about 400gms (albeit a very refined frame!).. I have just received some new wheels. My old ones were 50mm tubular gigantex rims on Royce hubs, they are silky smooth, fast and bomb proof, but naked of skewers and cassette weigh in at 1587gms! I'm not rolling in cash so thought hard about what I might replace them with. I ended up buying Farsports 50x23mm tubular rims, on Carbon-Ti hubs with Sapim CX-ray spokes. I recieved them yesterday and weighed naked they come in at a skinny 1191gms! which for an aero rim and the money is pretty damn light! I went out for a quick spin on them last night and they seem stiff and nice. time will tell! ... so thats a 400gm saving for quarter of what I would have spent on the same weight saving switching frames.