Cannondale vs Colnago (SS Hi Mod & C59)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Was wondering what the collectives thoughts were about the two in comparison. I have a 2015 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod in a 52cm. I have the opportunity to straight up frameset trade for a Colnago C59 in a 48s (which is only 2mm difference in stack and no difference in reach).

I will be putting it together with Campy SR and Enve 6.7 wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

Get the Colnago C59. That is what I would do if in your position.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Straight up trade? Is the C59 in ok condition? I'd say it's a no brainer. I work on both those bikes a fair bit. Yup, make that trade now.
I know my username etc Indicates a strong bias but I'm really pretty objective when looking at bikes. I like the C59 not "because" I have one. I got it because of what I've learned from working on a lot of different bike over the years. I've become somewhat of a goto guy for fixing creaky Cannondales.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Start by trying to find someone who has experience in riding both - that would be a lot more subjective.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm going to add a couple things. What are you using the bike for? Are you racing? The Cannondale will be lighter. Do you care if you crash it out? Will you be replacing it for next year's race season? Or is it going to be a bike you want to hold onto for a long time, take good care of, view it as something a little more special than just a "tool"? Do you care about any kind of "history", warranted or not, that the brand might incite in someone's mind. Ultimately however, how does each one feel to you. You say the geometries will allow you to get a pretty identical fit on either. That is not the case for me. I've ridden the Cannondale. I'm kind of in between their sizes. I much preferred my Colnagos. Lastly, which do you just like the looks of more? Does one "speak to you" more than the other? One thing I like about both the Colnagos and the Cannondales is the relatively straight clean lines they both have. So, maybe it's not quite the "no brainer" decision I was saying it was in my last post. Depends on what your priorities are.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

coneill0422

by coneill0422

As far as riding goes I do about 550 miles (or 880 KM) a month an average about 20-22 mph (or 32-35 KMH) and my FTP is about 250 watts. I don't really race and I mostly ride with a closer group of buddies (about 5-10 guys). I recently made the switch to Campagnolo Super Record 11+ from Dura Ace 9000 and have loved it. I do like the "history" of Colnagos but since I do ride at a good clip and we are all competitive I want to make sure that I minimize the chance of being the "nail" and not the "hammer".

What I was wondering is if someone had the experience with both the bikes and had any thoughts on performance. I would love to go Colnago but have heard some rumblings that it is not the stiffest bike and may not be as "fast" as a new Cannondale. Most of the guys I ride with are upgrading to Aero bikes, or at least deep sections and since I ride in mostly rolling hills there is not a lot of climbing.

I will be putting on a mix of Enve and 3T parts along with Campy SR.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I presume that's your bike? It looks good. Keep it. If you're the nail and not the hammer in your group it's not due to your bike. Sounds like your buddies are going "aero". They will make fun of you if you trade your hi mod for a Colnago. That's how aeroboys are [emoji3]. Of course, it's only Cat6 racing so it's all the more fun to leave them in the dust on your oh so slow non aero frame if you go that route. But you will need the confidence in your ability and bike to out trash talk them at the coffee stops. I'm looking at your wheels, your bars... They might look out of place on the Colnago. No, at this point I'd say be happy with your current steed, save your pennies and get your Colnago down the road (n+1) if you still want one. By then your decision may be for different reasons or there may be something else you like even more.

coneill0422

by coneill0422

Thanks for the well thought out response. I think I will do just that, your an asset to the community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Last night I did a group ride with a bunch of friends, a lot of them are fairly strong. We hammered up a 10 min low grade climb, I was on front the entire time (started the first 4 minutes at 450-500w @ 36kph - 40kph) and rode everyone off my wheel. I could have been on a 25lb steel bike and done the same thing. The bike does not prevent you from being hammer, only you do.

The C59 was one of the most fantastic riding frames I've had the pleasure to ride. The Nero one I had was hands down the most beautiful too. Frames like the Tarmac and Evo are designed to feel like a steel I beam is between your legs when putting out power. Just like a lowered Honda civic with rock hard suspension may feel fast because it jars the crap out of you, so do a lot of modern day race bikes. Top end bikes that I have ridden don't have these goals. They build in a liveliness to the BB feel and comfort into the rear. The Parlee had it, the C59 had it and the R5ca has it in spades. The truly top end bikes are trying to replicate a feel that steel and titanium have, while being stuff at the same time, and that's what some mistake as a lack of stiffness when IMO it's done on purpose for ride feel.

If you really like the color scheme of the C59 and it's "speaking" to you then get it, you won't regret it.

glepore

by glepore

Hmmm...think about why you are being offered a straight up trade on framesets where the one you have was half the cost of the one you're being offered.

Both framesets are excellent. Colnago geo is different in a good way for some. Evo is a pretty remarkable frameset as well. Tuned pretty well for its price, maybe pretty well even if its no consideration.

With the Colnago, you'll need to give up some weight unless you're willing to forgo dressing it in a way that the traditionalists will approve of . Ryan has a whole thread devoted to that.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Nothing wrong with that Evo. Looks like a very nice bike. But, there truly is something special about a lugged carbon road frame of any kind and especially a Colnago. Cannonadales are dime a dozen, a Colnago is very special, especially one like a C59.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Calnago wrote:Sounds like your buddies are going "aero". They will make fun of you if you trade your hi mod for a Colnago. That's how aeroboys are [emoji3].

I'm an aeroboy and love a good Calnago generalisation. Please, tell me more of what my reaction would be if a mate traded his bike for something less aero. Keen to know what I'll say.

OP, do you know who would make fun of you for trading to a bike you prefer more - an asshole. Simple as that. Oh and averaging 32-35km/h at a FTP of 250w, impressive.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Little humor @Tinea, nothing more. Lol

basurper

by basurper

I own both of them. SS Evo HM for climbing, C59 for touring.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have a HM EVO in a size 50 and love it, however I would trade straight across for a c59 frame in a 48 in a heartbeat. You can always buy a HM Evo frame it is tough to find a c59 for a decent price.

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com