Trek Domane - Which seat mast length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flint

by Flint

I've got a 58cm trek domane coming soon and need a 78cm saddle height. Can anyone advise if I will need a 135 or 175mm seat mast.

Thanks

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You might very well be able to use either/or, but I think if you can swing it the 175mm seat mast would look better. With the shorter 135mm mast the clamp bolt may end up being kind of in the middle between the top tube and your saddle. Not the best "look" in my opinion. Not sure where the cutoff in sizes is where they come standard with either a 175mm or a 135mm. I would think the 58 comes with a 175 but not sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flint

by Flint

Thanks Calnago. As I'm getting a frameset only they don't come with the seat mast in the UK anymore. There's a couple of new ones on eBay for around 50USD but they're 135mm. If it's not going to look right I will just get the 175mm.

Cheers

toblu

by toblu

I got inspired in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131007&start=30

Made my own seatmast, ordered tube at the same store he did.
Im very happy with my result.
No picture yet but looks the same as the one in the thread above.

toblu

by toblu

I got inspired in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131007&start=30

Made my own seatmast, ordered tube at the same store he did.
Im very happy with my result.
No picture yet but looks the same as the one in the thread above.

Flint

by Flint

Thanks for the info, that looks great.

fletch62

by fletch62

I had a 58cm Domane with a 175mm seatmast and had a seat height of 76.5cm. The mast was as low as it could go, so you should be fine. I was looking for a shorter mast but sold the bike.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

The min and max saddle heights for the Domane are as follows: 73 min, 83 max. The short seat mast is meant for the first 5cm and the long for the second.

So you could possibly get away with the short mast to save some weight, depends on the height of your saddle really.

Personally I would go for the large, less chance of anything going wrong and I think they look a lot better.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I just dealt with this question last week. 2013 Trek Madone 58 cm. Tape measure is taped to center of cranks while taking these pics.

The blue tape is the how far down a 175mm seatpost cap goes, to give a 78 cm seat height (above crank centerline).

I don't know what the (v) line signifies. I can't find a manual for my frame. If you find one for yours, let me know. The 175mm cap just barely goes beyond that line.

Click here for close-ups: https://www.flickr.com/photos/a7a7/25090195496/sizes/k/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/a7a7/24485851134/sizes/k/

Flint

by Flint

Thanks everyone for the replies - looks like I'm safer going for the 175mm.

BikeAnon - many thanks for the pictures, they were a great help.

Cheers

Trkorb

by Trkorb

For anyone interested, the line marked V is the measurement line for the size of the bike.

Had to ring Trek about this because this info doesn't seem to be anywhere else..... it is not a maximum insertion line.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

OliverRB, THANKS! I was curious about this, and worried it was something meaningful.

My frame is a 58, so that makes sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com