Long Cage Mech 11-36

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Marin wrote:I also think road gearing is flawed and I believe 95% of riders would be much better served with a set of 46/30 chainrings.

Don't get bent out of shape, I was seeking some levity.
But I would venture a guess that a majority of the population on this board would tend not to agree with that % age for a road bike set up.
But those that do will gravitate to this thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

percentage |= statistic is all I'm saying :)

I'm fully aware of the fact that most people I think would be better served with a 30/46 would prefer to mount larger chainrings due to tradition as well misconceptions about maths, gearing and cadence.

Hell, there are still people riding 53s even though they now have 11t cogs in the rear... and I'm not talking about Kittel.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I hear ya. I do. :thumbup:
I can recall when I started road racing we were on 53-42 chain rings. Was happy to see that standard die a well deserved death.
I just can't imaging it being any fun to ride a 36 cog on a road bike and taking several hours to spin up the Pordoi.
The flies alone on a hot summer day are enough to make one downshift and accelerate.
A 36 chainring and a 29 cog goes everywhere on road.
(And I am by no means a climber - I am a sufferer and gravity impaired.)

If someone is riding strictly road and needs a 36 cog, then I tend to side with Valbrona and consider a triple - because it sounds like touring.

Marin

by Marin

Stolichnaya wrote:A 36 chainring and a 29 cog goes everywhere on road

Yes, but at what cadence?

Trkorb

by Trkorb

So I'm going try fit a 11-34 as that seems highly likely to work. However the only cassette I could find is XTR, anyone know anything cheaper out there?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

34x29 or even 32 I can understand. But, for an able bodied rider, 34x36 on an unladen road bike is pointless. All it does is condemn a rider to longer climbing.

To qualify this view, I am a 50 year old carrying several kg too many and climbing with one good leg. My dominant leg is hampered by no cartilage between the talus and tibia which restricts my ankle movement to no less than 90 degrees. I have climbed the Pordoi, Bonnette and Campolongo among others on compact. Only the Bonnette required a 29. The only climb I have encountered that I know will need a 32 is the Muro di Sormano. But 2.5km at 17% average with sections of 25% is unlike anything you'll find most of the time.

Training is the most important thing after you physical makeup. Low gearing is not as critical as many riders think. 34x28 is as low as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

OliverRB wrote:
ultimobici wrote:36, really, what are you riding? The Eiger?

Bikes not for me, for a female friend for use in Luxembourg,
I take it she's a new rider? Has she actually tried the stock gearing?

Rick

by Rick

My winter/spring training bike has a 30/39/52 Ultegra triple in front and an 11-34 cassette (10 speed) in the rear. I use an XTR RD-M971 mtn bike rear derailleur with that, which is a 9 speed, but has the same pull as road 10 speed and works perfectly.

Yes, I use all the gears. We have a lot of steep climbs around here and I have never seen anyone who can really "spin" up them. And I have watched the Tour of Utah a lot. :)

also, it is not always about what you "need", but what you want for your training and maybe take it easy once in a while! :wink:

Boonrany

by Boonrany

You could try the UCB speedcage and screw that b screwed right down....it's going to be very dependant upon the hanger though I think ?

http://www.ultimateceramicbearings.co.u ... tegory=117

hope you get sorted

RussellS

by RussellS

Valbrona wrote:Ever heard of these things called 'triple cranksets?' I use 26/36/46.

Why on earth would you use a 26 tooth inner ring? Too lazy to put the correct smallest chainring on the bike? Your bike probably has road 110mm bcd for outer-middle and 74mm bcd for inner. 24 teeth is the smallest 74mm bcd ring. Use it. Using the wrong triple chainrings is the same as using the wrong double chainrings.

RussellS

by RussellS

basurper wrote:TA specialties also sell inner chainring 33t BCD 110.

I got a 33 tooth TA ring on my touring bike. 44-33-20 rings. 44 and 33 are 110mm bcd TA black rings. Look good. Inner is a 20 tooth 58mm bcd ring. Used an Avid Triplizer to put the 20 58mm ring where the original 74mm bcd ring and spacer washers went. With an 11-32 ten speed cassette I suspect I can ride up any incline on earth.

RussellS

by RussellS

Stolichnaya wrote:I can recall when I started road racing we were on 53-42 chain rings.

Yes, but back then 13 teeth was the smallest cassette/freewheel cog you could get. The nonsensical 11 and 12 tooth cogs had not been created yet. A 4 to 1 chainring / cog ratio (53x13) provides a good high gear a little over 100 gear inches.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

ultimobici wrote:34x29 or even 32 I can understand. But, for an able bodied rider, 34x36 on an unladen road bike is pointless. All it does is condemn a rider to longer climbing.

Well I don't really agree with you there... 10kph and a cadence of 85 will mean a 34/36 gear ratio, nice and comfortable

Maybe you have no cartilage because you have ground up hills for the past 20 years at 50 cadence?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

No. Rammed at 30mph by a Mercedes resulting in 2 plates, 10 screws and 4 operations.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

So often technique is overlooked. Many riders, both newcomers and longtime riders, ride as if they are driving. That is they start a climb in too high a gear and then change down as the gradient bites. They lose any momentum they had and effectively stall. So they then need an even lower gear to recover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com