Where are the Dura Ace Level Hydro Levers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

It's been what 2 years since Shimano brought Hydraulic discs.

Where are the Dura Ace Level (read light) levers and calipers?

Any chance they will bring Mechanical Shifting DA Hydro or probably just Di2?

Any way to lighten up 685 shifters?

spookyload

by spookyload

Disc isn't done for light weight. The pro's bikes could easily crush the UCI minimum, so getting non-critical weight down in calipers isn't a bid deal for Shimano. If you close your eyes, relax and shift, I doubt you will notice the difference in quality between Dura Ace and Ultegra anyhow. The reservoir makes the levers awkwardly large anyways, so going for the lighter weight and "Dura Ace" shape isn't a reality for now. I assume the V2 will come out with the Shimano ETAP which will be DA or Ultegra specific. For mechanical, the same shifters can shift both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

Yes - I agree with you that the shift quality probably won't change - what I would like though is lighter weight on the bars.

The RS685's are about 670 grams - very porky and you can feel it. I may change to Mechanical 9001 Levers and TRP Hy/Rd to get the weight off the front.

I believe that getting weight off the front of a bike is where one really feels it, overall weight loss is not felt as much.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The new DA hydro brake shifters ( Di2 it seems) are on the way (supposedly).

Tier 1 OEMs and selected distributors should get to see the mock-ups by Taipei Bike Show in March or may have already seen them. People should have clearer information after the bike show.

micro553

by micro553

Can one use the RS-685 shifters with DI2 front and rear mech? I have the Diverge with RS-695 and 785 heraldic brakes and would like to go di2 in the future.

Can I buy ultegra di2 rear and front di2 and it will work?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

685's are mechanical, not Di2.

micro553

by micro553

Okej so my brakes are hydraulic and my shifters are for mechanic.

So I will need new shifters - and no way Sram works with shimano brakes or Campa - right?

I mean what are my options for hydraulic disc with di2? Thinking of a the future and the next bike aswell.

I could go shimano
I could go Sram - but only mechanical Red 22 - right?
I could not go Campa because they don´t have shifters for hydraulic brakes yet - right?

Would be happy if someone explained what options I have.

Regards

spookyload

by spookyload

With Campy you would be stuck with mechanical brakes or the HY/RD type. Shimano has hydro with both mechanical and Di2. So Ultegra and Dura Ace are both an option. SRAM...no idea, but I would imaging a hydro version of ETAP isn't far off. I would assume any existing hydro levers from SRAM wouldn't work with Shimano calipers. The chance of the piston stroke being the same is probably non-existant.

morrisond

by morrisond

I just got a set of these Calipers that I'm going to put on my Speedvagen with Super Record to replace Da9000/685 - overall I'm saving about 400 grams just on the group, 330 grams of that just on the levers...

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin- ... -road.html

Great user reviews from what I can find about 100 grams lighter the HyRd and not as goofy looking

micro553

by micro553

Will the performance be as good with Juin Tech R1 or other NON Shimano brakes as it will be with Shimano R-785?

I´m almost set on a Colnago C60 disc as my next bike and been thinking of gruppo option. I know a lot of you think NOT going Shimano / SRAM on a Collage bike. But I want Di2 shifting and I want a good price vs performance level.

I have today from my bike to take to the next
Cockpit - Enve
Saddle - Romin Pro
Crankset - Rotor 3D+
TUNE 52/36 chainset
Ultegra Cassette

Options as I see it
Ultegra upgrade kit
Front mech
Rear mech
Shifters - are there better shifters then the 765 ones?
R-785 brakes

As I see this is that I get Di2 and Hydraulic brakes that are good at a good price level. Sure would like to go Dura Ace level but more expensive and parts like cassette is a lot more money.

Going something like Campa Record or Chorus level EPS with Juin brakes or other HY/RD type ones. But seem more expensive and not as good brakes. Not that knowing about Campa except that they are good looking. Yes I could sell the Rotor Crank and Tune chainrings and go for Campa Crankset. But will this option be as good?

Going SRAM will mean mechanical shifting - right? I could wait for Etap Hydro?

4. Other options?

Thinking abut like this. Going for a C60 disc or maybe V1-r disc frame is not cheap.
Good frame
Okej level DI2 shifting
Okej level Wheels - Thinking of Pancenti SL25 rims with okej hubs as a starter and then go Enve SES 3.4 in the future.

What do you guys think?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

SRAM and Shimano calipers wont plug & play due to DOT vs Mineral oil.

I know it's not WW, but you can use just about any shimano caliper (2 or 4 piston) with the RS685 levers - I've got Zee calipers with mine, and they work great.

So, if you are going to the expense of mix n match, get the latest 2 piston calipers from the M9000 getup (Trail ones ?), and you'll save some grams there.

I'd rather go full hydraulic rather than the cable/hyd route - been ther and done that. Straight hydro is how it's designed to work in the first place.

micro553

by micro553

Yes but I want to go Di2 so then the RS785 levers are my only option from Shimano?

So something like this

Crank - Rotor 3D+ - from old bike
RD Ultegra DI2 - buying
FD Ultegra DI2 - buying
Junktion box and Cables - buying
Levers - RS 765 - buying
Brakes - M9000 trail or? - buying
Cassette - Ultegra 12-25 - Have one new at home

I have found this set that looks good price
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shim ... nal-401953

I have both Ultegra Di2 and hydraulic brakes and shifters for 1100 euro´s

I´m opened to buy from ebuy aswell but maybe hard to find a complete kit - lightliy used?!?

ms6073

by ms6073

morrisond wrote:http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/juin-tech/road-cx/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable-pull-disc-brake-set-black-cyclocross-road.html

Great user reviews from what I can find about 100 grams lighter the HyRd and not as goofy looking

I replaced our TRP Spyre SLC calipers with the JuinTech R1 calipers from the same vendor and while saddle time on the cross bikes has been low, those calipers work great with the Shimano RT-99 Icetech 6-bolt rotors and Enve Twenty9 XC clinchers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CBJ

by CBJ

Lost of talk about the new Dura Ace. With UCI approving dics I am sure the new DA will have dics both mechanical and Di2.

You can use XTR calibers to save a little weight.

Not sure if its just me but the hoods could be smaller too for my not so big hands.

Lincs

by Lincs

micro553 wrote:Yes but I want to go Di2 so then the RS785 levers are my only option from Shimano?

So something like this

Crank - Rotor 3D+ - from old bike
RD Ultegra DI2 - buying
FD Ultegra DI2 - buying
Junktion box and Cables - buying
Levers - RS 765 - buying
Brakes - M9000 trail or? - buying
Cassette - Ultegra 12-25 - Have one new at home

I have found this set that looks good price

I have both Ultegra Di2 and hydraulic brakes and shifters for 1100 euro´s

I´m opened to buy from ebuy aswell but maybe hard to find a complete kit - lightliy used?!?

Hello new on here, but followed this forum for a long time, thought I would join as got a lot of info from the WW so should put a little back! To answer your question, yes the RS785 are the only Di2 option, the link you posted is with the older 785 calliper not the latest S785 version which has better hose connection location. They are touted as Dura ace version at present by Shimano and I think at this moment in time they are your best option for hydro brakes. I have both Di2 RS785 and the 685 mechanical versions on different bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com