Cassette durability: Dura Ace / Red / Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

nemeseri wrote:So I plan to upgrade my groupset to dura ace soon and I was thinking to keep the ultegra cassette and chain because I heard that they have much better durability than the DA versions. I just found out that every 11sp cassette are compatible so this kept me thinking that maybe I can have a cassette that's lightweight and durable.

How would you compare the DA / Red / Super record cassettes to ultegra 6800? I'd love to hear your opinion on durability and shifting quality.

Focus on AND lightweight AND durability is contradictive. :)

Yes I think for your Shimano bike, Sram wil work for you but . . .

When upgrading to Dura Ace, probably a full group with cassette included is same price as buying separate parts without cassette.

And now we come to another important factor >
What cassette combination are you looking for exactly?

I think the Dura Ace chain is better then Ultegra. (But nothing beats a Campagnolo Record chain)
The SR Campa cassette has a lot of titanium which is sensitive. Campa users that are looking for durability - price/quality and not bothered by the little extra weight, better use Chorus cassettes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5DII

by 5DII

For the price of a RED cassette you can buy almost 4 ultegra cassettes

nemeseri

by nemeseri

BRM wrote:Focus on AND lightweight AND durability is contradictive. :) [...]
When upgrading to Dura Ace, probably a full group with cassette included is same price as buying separate parts without cassette.

I know, but I want a lightweight cassette first, and then think about relative durability. Also there is a chance that I will do the swap part-by-part over time instead of doing it all at once (and I also hope that shimano might upgrade dura ace this year a bit).

VTBike wrote:My 2 cents - Red UNLESS you are running the larger cog options, in which case you may find the D/A fits your need better.

Actually very good point! I actually use 11-28 currently and I have a compact, so not impossible even for me to run out of gears. BUT you made me think that I might want to give 12-28 a try.

5DII wrote:For the price of a RED cassette you can buy almost 4 ultegra cassettes

I know. But using it only on one of my bikes I will get probably tons of lifetime out of it. Like years. I think 70g savings with just a cassette swap is not a bad weight saving bargain.

jeffy

by jeffy

i had read that RED in shimano drivetrain didn't shift too well in the bottom/smallest cogs.... is that just nonsense?

ktw7937

by ktw7937

Sram Red gets my vote as well.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jeffy wrote:i had read that RED in shimano drivetrain didn't shift too well in the bottom/smallest cogs.... is that just nonsense?

Yes, nonsense.

Just use basic logic (and basic math skills). The rear spacing of a road bike is only so wide. A freehub, whatever speed, can only hold so many cogs equally spaced without the rear derailleur's cage hitting the spokes. Divide freehub space by number of cogs = distance between cogs on center of each cog. It's, quite literally, the same across all three "brands" of drivetrain systems. The only differences are functionality (the system's UI for the rider) and the pull ratios from shifter to derailleur. Whatever ratio is pulled, however it is pulled, the end result will be the same in terms of how far the derailleur travels to the next cog.

Yes, even those 10 speed drivetrains were interchangeable. How do you think neutral wheel service worked so well for so many decades of professional racing?

Sometimes marketing departments, along with journalists who like to keep a brand happy (and a happy brand wants you to be chained to their offerings) will write total bull-feces, throw in a niggle or two, even though that issue defies actual logic and math... strange when the bicycle is a true example of math, engineering and physics in motion to create a human powered machine of efficiency.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ainsy

by Ainsy

VTBike wrote:My 2 cents - Red UNLESS you are running the larger cog options, in which case you may find the D/A fits your need better.

Specifically, I want the 28t cog. Red offers a 11-28 which has two 3 tooth gaps. I hate the 3 tooth gaps, it's hard to keep cadence correct. D/A offers a 12-28, which eliminates one of them. I'd prefer to loose some top-end speed and have a more linear cadence up hills

Excellent point...and you also lose the 16 on the Ultegra. The more even ratio was the main reason I went for the DA over Ultegra or SRAM. Would love to have seen an Ultegra 12-28 version offered

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Red gets my vote as well, but nobody is going to notice your lockring, as it's mostly concealed behind the frame. You could swap it out - I did for my Red cassette even though I run Red shifters and deraillieurs. The weight savings of an Extralite lockring over a Red one are about 2g. Not really worth it in hindsight.

Also, why try to hide that your cassette is probably the best on the market?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

4ibanez wrote:2g. Not really worth it in hindsight.

HERETIC!!! :evil:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

allencanna

by allencanna

i am using a centaur cassette for about 10 thousand miles.i believe super record has same quality.

Delorre

by Delorre

Nobody is talking about Edco Monoblock. All steel and with plenty of touth combinations, and as opposed to Red, you don't have to start with an 11 cog. Weight is on par with Red and DA, durability should be good. Only unknown : how's the shifting?

stoney

by stoney

I'd go with Sram Red for sure.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I went with Dura Ace except for Ultegra rear cassette and chain. I trust Shimano. Well engineered products. The ultegra cassette is slightly heavier but will last longer. In the real world the few grams won't be noticed.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I0,000 miles. Never got anywhere close not even half wat and with changing chains regularly.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I've personally just swapped both my SRAM Red w/stealth rings for DuraAce. The price on the DuraAce at $135 each is hard to beat. But, without a doubt, the Sram, being 1 solid piece, except the last cog, design/weight etc...is a great setup and for noise, the most quiet easily.

With that said, there were times where on my Di2, it seems with Qrings, Di2, and Shimano or KMC chain, there was always a 1-2 places on the cassette that would make noise/rubbing sounds. No amount of tweaking the Di2 would help. I thought maybe it was something with the tolerances/machines of the solid piece. The Shimano has never done that. But, several cogs, it is just loud/annoying at times, crappy design Shimano...seriously...what a shame that cassette. But the price, can't beat it!!

But, I also recently swapped my RD pulleys due to wear...and I'm starting to wonder if the pulleys/wear was the problem now with alignment at certain points on the SRAM.

I'm thinking of putting my SRAM back on one set of wheels for testing to see how it goes.

The SRAM pricing is a bit over the top...but it is a far better Cassette...and like I stated above, I mix/match always with components. QRings, Di2 and either a Shimano or KMC chain depending on what is on sale!

Anyway, with that being said, can't say one wears more than the other, I usually swap my cassettes every 18-24 months no matter what. Wear seems about the same for both, and I keep a clean chain, and maintain my setup real well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com