Cassette durability: Dura Ace / Red / Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SundayNiagara

by SundayNiagara

Will the SRAM Red cassette work with the Shimano 105-5800?

perwjensen

by perwjensen

Shimano cog 11s height is same as SRAM 11s cog height. So from that perspective, yes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onurruno

by onurruno

Hey guys, take a look at Miche Primato light series. They offer very wide range of sprocket sizes both for shimano and campy. I think shimano ones are also compatible with sram. Really worth trying.

Chrisisism

by Chrisisism

spdntrxi wrote:I use a variety of XG1190s with Di2.. 11-26 11-28 and 11-30... All gears work fine but I occasionally get little noise in the easier gears (but not the easiest) for example with an 11-28...I'd get a little noise in the 22 and 25 (mostly the 25). I can adjust it out, but then I get noise in the 12 or 13. My 11-26 is the worst, followed by my 28 and 30T which are not that bad at all.

This happens to me as well, but noice almost disappeared completely when I mounted a longer chain.
I have no issues with the the biggest/smallest gear.
Dura-ace chain and praxis compact chainrings

Junior7

by Junior7

I use Ultegra, but with so many positive indications will use a Sram Red to prove the efficiency.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I always disliked the 10s RED cassettes for being so loud, but the 11s one are better and lighter than anything out there. I swapped my freehub from Shimano to Campy to run Campy Chorus cassette and it weighs close to the 300g... The Red cassette in the same tooth count is 167g. The Chorus cassette is almost half of pound added to your rear wheel.. This is weight weenies
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

justaute

by justaute

All,

Reviving an old thread here. Based on the information here, Sram XG-1190 cassette does NOT work with Shimano DA 9000/9070...is that correct? Thanks.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I use Dura Ace with an Ultegra cassette and chain. Seems to work well for me, but in all honesty, I replace the Cassette and chain once a year regardless and Ultegra besides being more durable is less expensive.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

justaute wrote:All,

Reviving an old thread here. Based on the information here, Sram XG-1190 cassette does NOT work with Shimano DA 9000/9070...is that correct? Thanks.

I'm running XG1190 (11-28) and Shimano 9070. With proper adjustment it can work however the shift onto the 28-tooth cog is slow and noisy. Because the 28-tooth cog is aluminum and thicker the chain will make a lot of noise when it's on this gear. Plus the chain is always at an extreme angle on this cog making the drivetrain somewhat inefficient when on this cog. As for the rest of the cogs the shifting is slightly slower and noisier on the XG-1190 than the D.A. However the XG-1190 is stiffer and it has the 16-tooth cog which is missing in the D.A. 11-28 cluster. In the end the positives outweighs the negatives over the D.A. I would get the XG-1190 next time as well. I cannot understand why Shimano omits the 16-tooth cog on their 11-28 cluster.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justaute

by justaute

pdlpsher1 wrote:

I'm running XG1190 (11-28) and Shimano 9070. With proper adjustment it can work however the shift onto the 28-tooth cog is slow and noisy. Because the 28-tooth cog is aluminum and thicker the chain will make a lot of noise when it's on this gear. Plus the chain is always at an extreme angle on this cog making the drivetrain somewhat inefficient when on this cog. As for the rest of the cogs the shifting is slightly slower and noisier on the XG-1190 than the D.A. However the XG-1190 is stiffer and it has the 16-tooth cog which is missing in the D.A. 11-28 cluster. On in end the positives outweighs the negatives over the D.A. I would get the XG-1190 next time as well. I cannot understand why Shimano omits the 16-tooth cog on their 11-28 cluster.

Thanks much for the update. I'm running Ultegra cassette with my 9070 for durability reason. Just debating if I should try the 11-28 Sram.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

justaute wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

I'm running XG1190 (11-28) and Shimano 9070. With proper adjustment it can work however the shift onto the 28-tooth cog is slow and noisy. Because the 28-tooth cog is aluminum and thicker the chain will make a lot of noise when it's on this gear. Plus the chain is always at an extreme angle on this cog making the drivetrain somewhat inefficient when on this cog. As for the rest of the cogs the shifting is slightly slower and noisier on the XG-1190 than the D.A. However the XG-1190 is stiffer and it has the 16-tooth cog which is missing in the D.A. 11-28 cluster. On in end the positives outweighs the negatives over the D.A. I would get the XG-1190 next time as well. I cannot understand why Shimano omits the 16-tooth cog on their 11-28 cluster.

Thanks much for the update. I'm running Ultegra cassette with my 9070 for durability reason. Just debating if I should try the 11-28 Sram.

You're welcome. I wonder if SRAM has other means in the their drivetrain to compensate for the thicker 28-tooth aluminum cog. Logic dictates that since the chain angle is extreme on the 28-tooth cog the cog thickness needs to be thin like the rest of the cogs. A thicker cog creates quite a bit of friction as the inner plates of the chain is in full contact with the cog. The increased in friction can be felt just pedaling the bike on the bike stand. Shimano cogs don't have this issue. What that being said I don't use the 28-tooth enough for me to switch back to Shimano and their carbon carrier garbage. The rest of the XG-1190 is super stiff and I can feel an increase in power transfer on the XG-1190 over the Shimano D.A.