Rotor Qarbon Q-rings - it is aluminium and carbon inserts.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeviR

by LeviR

I happen to acquire the new Rotor Qarbon Q-rings for my bike and so far so good. I like them. They are 20g lighter than the older version. Not much. It works just like the older version. I cannot say one is stiffer than the other but my butt dyno.

50t @121g

Here it is installed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Wait whut? When did they start making these? I Just had to buy a new 52T 130BCD. Didn't see anything of the sort out there for sale. IT just an insert obviously...looks like the Aero rings, just with carbon insert...pretty bad ass looking IMO!

Maybe they don't make 130BCD for these yet?

CXTony

by CXTony

Zig,
I think you are right that they are just in the 110 right now. It is a carbon plate attached to a more milled-out alu ring. The plate makes up for the reduced strength from the weight-reduction.

LeviR

by LeviR

Thanks! Rotor just recently started making them available to the masses. I saw many on ebay but purchased mine through my LBS. Perhaps contact Kervin at Rotorbikeusa ?

Correct, it is basically milled-down aluminum then further reinforced with carbon. I think I like that better than carbon chainset.

Zigmeister wrote:Wait whut? When did they start making these? I Just had to buy a new 52T 130BCD. Didn't see anything of the sort out there for sale. IT just an insert obviously...looks like the Aero rings, just with carbon insert...pretty bad ass looking IMO!

Maybe they don't make 130BCD for these yet?

superdx

by superdx

Did your butt-dyno feel that the stiffness was better / worse / same than previous rings? There was one poster that said the previous generation OCP3 rings were flexy but no other reports of flexing on any other source/form or bike shop.

eric01

by eric01

The rings are apparently Dentist approved as well. ;)
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^ROFL....anyway. Yeah, looks like 110 only now. I can tell my aero 130BCD is stiffer compared to the last regular QRing I had, imagine the carbon/design would help some...but I've never had issues with shifting and Di2 with either one anyway. But if it translates to 2w to the wheel and saves some weight, so be it!!

Grill

by Grill

Heavier, more expensive, likely less stiff than my Fibre-Lyte O'sys rings. Don't see the point.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Grill wrote:Heavier, more expensive, likely less stiff than my Fibre-Lyte O'sys rings. Don't see the point.

Really, so they can make a 52T QRing similar to the regular QRing shape, not he extreme? Seen a review of one of them, it looks more like OSymmetric/Froome/Wiggans with the most extreme osymmetric shape, which is a hassle for FD setup.

Regular Qrings require no different setup on the bike once mounted and set the height of the FD.

Thoughts?

Grill

by Grill

These are no more difficult to set up than Q-Rings (what I had before). Set the FD height (might need a shim if you use a big ring) and that's it.

allencanna

by allencanna

the first time seen this style of qrings.
rotor is big company and they should tested them.
i think no problem.

lewolive

by lewolive

Well, after 2 months of use, what can I say ?

-A little bit lighter, yes, 10 grams. I don't feel the difference
-A little bit stiffer, yes... but don't hope feeling much, I think it's lightly sensitive above 800W.
-What is not said is that it's less noisy than the original Qrings, and I like that.
-The finishing is good, I like what it looks. Usually when you add carbon to an aluminum structure, the whole piece is heavier, but in that case, it's lighter. Some people will like the design, some other ones will dislike...
-Adjustment was very easy and shifting is perfect (Sram red Yaw probably helps !)

The real revolution in performance would be to have more carbon on that chainring. However it's "just" 30% more expensive than Aluminum Qrings whereas usually on this market carbon is twice more expensive.
So, it's not a necessary product, but if you're fan of Qrings, you may consider this choice when your aluminum rings become used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com