S-Works Tarmac Disc opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

mnmasotto wrote:I have a 52 cm Tarmac S-Works Disc with custom Enve Disc/Extralite wheels built by Fairwheel bikes. All I did was switch to the alternative Specialized hanger they offer. It works great!!! Shifts as good or better than other bike I own. The stock Roval Wheels are absolute boat anchors. I was told by a Specialized Representative the bike weighed 15.9 lbs. from the factory. Try 17.5 lbs.!!!! With all the additional light weight parts Fairwheel bike offers I was able to get the bike down to 15.6 lbs. (Enve wheels, handlebars, stem, seat, seat post, skewers, rotors, etc.....

Wow I can't see how it would be so heavy, specially in a 52. That would be disappointing. Have you used it all season? For me it would need to be an all year round bike to justify the discs
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I must admit the shimano levers concern me way more than the discs as I do find them bulky, I have small hands. A mechanical chorus/record set up with hydrolic discs would be a simpler choice. Have concers with Di2 in the winter and battery life. Can't decide if I'm just stuck in my ways...
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

cmcdonnell wrote:Does anyone have a Specialized S-Works Tarmac Disc or even a Tarmac Pro Race Disc? Really love to hear opinions. Probably going to get a new bike this year and don't know what to go for. Was tempted to go the aero route as at 58 kg I need all the aero help I can get but I am very tempted by the Tarmac Disc. The whole thing is completely new to me as I've never bought a complete bike, never rode discs, never rode electronic and most importantly never rode Shimano. Also is electronic worth it? Is Shimano really that bad coming from 20 years of Campy? Should I just wait and see what campy do with discs and how EPS V.3 does? As I said i'm just seeking opinions of those who have considered or have a Tarmac Disc as to me the S-works is one of the few bikes I could see myself buying and enjoying off the peg but i'm concerned that I just like the novelty of the discs...
I need a bike to ride all year and the discs seem a good way of riding decent wheels in wet/cold conditions without trashing your rims and also having decent braking, that's why I don't use my Bora 50C's in the winter. How does Shimano fare in the winter? I've always used Chorus and Record on my bikes and they always lasted fine so never had concerns there. Would Dura-Ace do 10+ seasons in all conditions if kept clean and maintained?

I focus on the fact you say, you'd use the bike all year and especially winter. Do you really think a frame that handles maximum 28mm tires is the best option for this?
Are you going to ride road in winter? I would be nervous of the surrounding traffic.
Anyway, never considered a bike not an all in road bike?
Why not a road, gravel, trail bike?
I would look into Open Cycles U.P.
http://up.opencycle.com/

Or Santa Cruz Stigmata over Tarmac for all year riding.

UP handles 55mm tires if you use 650B wheels (pending on internal rim width to some degree). You could run really fat studded tires.
Personally i ordered UP with No tubes Avion Pro which i intend to use all year.

As you see, UP runs 15*100 and 12*142 through axles which allows you to use more wheelsets than Tarmac!

There is also Continental Top Contact Winter II which is available in 37 or 42mm (700c) if you'd like to test tires made for winter, but without studs (lower rolling resistance and weight without studs).
http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... r2-premium

You should also consider, Shimano Di2 9070 or 6870 uses same calipers and shifters (disc)!
You could easily use a lighter cassette, chain and crankset with Di2 6870 to lower weight if you find you would like that.
Guys who have run both systems says there is really no gains (but lower weight) using 9070.

I also have small hands and i have no problems with Shimano. You can lower reach on the levers.
I think there is no problem with Di2 in the winter. There are many bikes sold with this running all year and many CX races run Di2 and that works great.

You can also consider, a damage to any of the derailleurs, the 6870 cost much less to replace.
Actually, the 6870 RD cost just as much as Sram Force CX RD, while the 9070 cost 2½-3 times as much.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Diverge is another option. Takes full fenders too ;)
Using Tapatalk

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

cmcdonnell wrote:
mnmasotto wrote:I have a 52 cm Tarmac S-Works Disc with custom Enve Disc/Extralite wheels built by Fairwheel bikes. All I did was switch to the alternative Specialized hanger they offer. It works great!!! Shifts as good or better than other bike I own. The stock Roval Wheels are absolute boat anchors. I was told by a Specialized Representative the bike weighed 15.9 lbs. from the factory. Try 17.5 lbs.!!!! With all the additional light weight parts Fairwheel bike offers I was able to get the bike down to 15.6 lbs. (Enve wheels, handlebars, stem, seat, seat post, skewers, rotors, etc.....

Wow I can't see how it would be so heavy, specially in a 52. That would be disappointing. Have you used it all season? For me it would need to be an all year round bike to justify the discs

I have 3000 miles on the bike. I have ridden it in all kinds of weather. I really like the bike but don't think disc brakes are worth the weight penalty.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cerro

by cerro

robo wrote:Very nice looking bike cerro. I'm thinking of building one up, what weight have you got it to (& guessing it's a 52cm?) please? Also, did use the SCS wheels?

Was included SCS wheels, clinchers but was sold to a customer and I got a pair of tubulars instead :D Non-SCS so just changed the derailleur hanger. Doesn't need SCS when I'm using a single chainring in front.

My bike is in size 54 and the weight is 6,46kg, missing some tubular glue so will end a hairpin under 6,5kg ;)

FatCake

by FatCake

cerro wrote:
robo wrote:Very nice looking bike cerro. I'm thinking of building one up, what weight have you got it to (& guessing it's a 52cm?) please? Also, did use the SCS wheels?

Was included SCS wheels, clinchers but was sold to a customer and I got a pair of tubulars instead :D Non-SCS so just changed the derailleur hanger. Doesn't need SCS when I'm using a single chainring in front.

My bike is in size 54 and the weight is 6,46kg, missing some tubular glue so will end a hairpin under 6,5kg ;)

So your whip comes in at ~6.5 with tubs, a single front chainring, and some other mods? What are the other mods? What does this bike weigh stock?

cerro

by cerro

Like that. Was a module so no stock weight.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

I actually started with a Tarmac Disc Pro complete bike and then upgraded to the S-Works frame because I loved the way the Tarmac rode. I find the S-Works noticeably stiffer in the BB without any degradation of ride quality, which is still very comfortable.

The S-Works Tarmac disc rides exactly like my non-disc bike, just with awesome stopping power and a bit heavier. I haven't put the disc bike on the scales, but it is significantly heavier than the non-disc version. Much of the weight comes from the heavy Shimano hydraulic levers. The wheels don't seem that heavy, but again, I haven't weighed them yet. I am currently using the disc bike as my race bike. Crazy, but I don't want to race the Sagan frame, so until I build another crit bike, the disc bike is what I have to race. I will eventually build an Allez Sprint for my crit bike.

I may end up switching to SRAM eTap hydraulic when it comes out. I'm happy with the wheels (CLX 40), they are plenty stiff and take a beating. They aren't as wide as my Zipp 303s, but they are comfortable and fast with 24c/26c tires.

Here's the bike:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

srshaw wrote:I know cervelo use a custom chainset to get around chain line issues caused by wider rear axles, I've not heard of other brands doing the same.

SRAM do their Wide Axle cranksts and FSA do Disc Brake (DB) cranksets for disc brake chainline.

Where have you been?