Wilier Zero6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wilier just announced this today on their website/Facebook page without leaking it to the press I believe. Claimed 680g but I'm guessing an Italian scale was used [emoji1] For a commemorative bike, the graphics are pretty flat and uninspiring...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Anyone else think it was announced just to talk about "lightest" frame instead of "double powered" one ;) ?

Anyway, it's shame what happened to "W" for their 110y anniversary. Not involved in this cheat, will suffer ( brand image ) most :(
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mimason

by mimason

I hope they made it more like the '14 model ride quality.

Kinda sucks but what moron would really hold Wilier liable for the motor cheat? I know the local rep here and gave him a ribbing but only in jest.

On another note a local LBS here confirmed installing one on a 'not Wilier' bike for a man no longer on his top game due to injury/accident.

We are going to see a lot of these in the future, unfortunately.

stormur

by stormur

World is full of morons, so they will from 1 reason only : they can :mrgreen:

You have to sacrifice something ( no free lunch ) weight for ride quality, or ride quality for weight ;) . 2014 frameset were about 1200g for aero/GTR and 1000g for "zero"/ Cento1 ...
Mark Twain

mimason

by mimason

^ Yes, I was referring to the '14 Zero7. They are supposed to be 700 gramsish.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Interesting that they're not even offering it in their two largest geometries (XL and XXL). Wonder if they figure it's just simply too light on an absolute level for the bigger boys to ride. Or maybe it was just impossible to build in those sizes and still call it a "Zero6", since they would inherently come in at over 700g as opposed to in the 600's like the Zero6's are claimed to be. Looks like they've straightened out the lines a bit styling wise, which I kind like.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glepore

by glepore

Hmmm, not only did they lift the r5's shape, the lifted the colors too :)
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kgt

by kgt

The color is copper and not red. I agree on the R5 influence though.
Wilier was among the first italian companies to produce an -actual- ultralight frame and they deserve credit for that.

wingguy

by wingguy

glepore wrote:Hmmm, not only did they lift the r5's shape, the lifted the colors too :)

Not even. It has a square downtube kinda like the first R5, but that's about it, and Cervelo has never used that copper colour.

I hope this new one is a return to form - I loved my original Zero.7, the new ones seemed like a step back in every department like real world weight, handling and ride just so they could claim some pontless aero tweaks.

eric01

by eric01

That's a good looking bike.

For those that are pointing out it looks like R5... yeah all STW bikes are going to look like one another. And if we must point to an origin, you have to cite the 2006 R3. Squarish tubes, tall beefy chainstays and super thin seatstays. Sure todays frames are a little curvier (for aero or aesthetic reasons). R3 can be considered the grandfather of the modern STW carbon frame.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

No choice for XL size?

Probably they would have not been able to manufacture an XL frame within the weight range without sacrificing stiffness.

kgt

by kgt

Obviously. Anyway Cento Uno SR is a much better frame for heavier riders.

stormur

by stormur

I have Cento Uno Cross Carbon - indeed fabulous bike. being 182/88 do not worry about it at all ( frame 1200g in size L, fork 490g )
Mark Twain

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Calnago wrote:Interesting that they're not even offering it in their two largest geometries (XL and XXL). Wonder if they figure it's just simply too light on an absolute level for the bigger boys to ride. Or maybe it was just impossible to build in those sizes and still call it a "Zero6", since they would inherently come in at over 700g as opposed to in the 600's like the Zero6's are claimed to be. Looks like they've straightened out the lines a bit styling wise, which I kind like.

It's a limited edition production run of 200 frames total. Probably the distribution of frame sizes they typically sell for the 0.7 indicated that making XL and XXL wasn't cost effective :node:

Interestingly, they're claiming a new carbon for this frame, and no mention of SEI. I've long wondered if the tradeoffs in getting SEI to work were not as good once they shrank the tube sizes down for the 2nd gen bike.
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black